HOME AUTOMATION

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
I brought a new home about 3 years ago and went all in on this.

About a year ago I ripped it all out besides the lights and my CCTV/alarm.

Have one Lenovo alarm clock in my bedroom left but that's always set to no mic.

I give them motherfukkers enough info with my email and phone I got paranoid and had to draw the line somewhere:mjlol:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Yea I just discovered Home assistant recently, but I been on the smart wave since 2017, it’s came along way since the days of everyone needing a separate hub to work

I Have two bulbs, a hue candle and light strip connected to the hue sync box so when I watch a movie I get full light sync all around. I have the Google nest and nest home mini controlling it all

Two Alexa shows one in each room, I just set up wake on lan so Alexa can turn my PC on.

I have a bulb in the closet connected to a motion sensor.

and in the bedroom I have a humidifier

Rayzah

Daps
Can someone explain to me how to install my Nest thermostat in Home Assistant. All the YouTube videos seem super complicated

Rayzah

Daps
Hopefully you got it sorted out by now.
I found the installation easy as hell. Just download the app and it walks you through everything.
I gave up on the nest, the thing kept losing WiFi connection and it didn’t seem like it was holding a charge. I had the ecobee installed

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
I CONVERTED ALL MY LIGHTS AND SWITCHES 2 MONTHS AGO.

I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON A PHONE AS A KEY DEVICE USING TASKER, A SHELLY SWITCH, AND A KEY FOB.

I'VE BEEN MAKING SOME LED LIGHT STRIP CONTROLLERS FOR SOME LIGHTS I GOT FOR FREE. SO MUCH AMUSEMENT LATELY.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I co-owned a company that specialized in home automation a while ago. We sold Crestron products. I have to admit, its overpriced and overbuilt for the average home, but its pretty dope. Its all self contained, so no need to connect to outside servers to operate. As long as your home network is running, so will the system. Here is a great video showing off a system:

Control4 is company I tell most regular folks to look up. They are much cheaper than Crestron, but still expensive. You can save money if you can wire your home yourself, limiting most of your cost to just equipment and setup. Everything is integrated, so you are operating everything from a single app.

I'm shocked to still see a huge chasm in home automation. Consumers only see these fragmented control ecosystems, all designed primarily to harvest customer data. Then you have the legit home automation systems that are either still being sold mostly by high end home theater companies, like the company I use to own, and limit setup to a specialized programmer. At the end of the day all we need is a good software program running on linux, and a managed router with some extra connections like POE, IR, and 12v. This way everything is hard wired and any enthusiast can program it like they use to do with universal remotes back in the early 2000s. The bulk of the money would go into wiring and not into the programmers pocket. Our company used an outside programmer and he could charge as much as 10% of the jobs price tag ($20k in programming for a $200k job).