HOME AUTOMATION

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
On my list of projects for the new house.

Going to lean heavy on Nest because we're a Google family. But got some Raspberry Pis already lined up for the more intricate automation.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Making some progress on this, unfortunately a few bumps in the carpet. Starting to replace my Wyze camera's due to them not being Smart Things compatible, bought a Ring Indoor Cam thinking that would work, checked the Samsung app, nope, take it back. Seems the app only works with certain models of brands, Arlo being the most, ended buying 2 Arlo Q cams (listed in the app as compatible). Gotta get more if I like the way they work. Also looking at Sengled smart bulbs to replace my Wyze bulbs.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I’ve been running Home Assistant for a few years after leaving smart things. Reason for that move is it always seemed dumb for a local action to have to be sent to the cloud for processing before the action is complete.
Home assistant and automation is no bytch to set up and maintain. Not for the faint at heart tech wise at all, but I personally love it.
I use node red within home assistant to set up all of my semi complicated automations, such as only turning on lights when the sun and lux values are at a certain amount and also changing the light switch LED color for user feedback purposes.
I don’t give it the amount of effort it should be given in order to make some really nice automations though. You have to set aside time to make your automations better and to also implement the ones you thought of during the week.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Wi-Fi enabled devices are just tiny Linux boxes that will eventually unsupported and ripe for exploitation. It’s a reason to use Zigbee and Zwave wireless protocols instead of Wi-Fi to help segment the network from potential vulnerabilities inherent with these types of devices.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I have 79 devices running all kinda ways. Everything through Home Assistant/Alexa and a Raspberry Pi. Motion sensors in every room to run routines based on motion. Different routines enable/disable based on temperates, humidity for the shower, etc. House can determine who is woke in the house so that volumes and light brightness levels are set. Alexa asks me yes or no questions based on what I'm doing and can respond by performing other actions (that shyt was damn near rocket science to set up). I've been having fun with it for about 5 years now.

Be wanted by the FBI, CIA, DEA, BOYS II MEN, ABC, and BBD brehs :picard:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Amazon finally has the Aeotec Smart Hub coming back in stock soon, just pre-ordered one.

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm using HomeKit primarily and anything that isn't compatible, I'm running Homebridge.

Things on Homebridge
Wyze camera in the garage
Roomba
Sylvania Indoor power plugs
Nest Thermostats

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Nest Thermostat
Nest Home Hub
SmartThings Hub
Hue Lights
Yale Smart Lock
2 Amazon Echos
2 Sonos Arc soundbars with Google Assistant

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
nest thermostat
waze cameras
smart bulbs all over
5 amazon echos 2 echo shows
4 google homes

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:russ:

Breh, you have a cell phone on you at all times. That's mobile surveillance on you at all times.
Yeah your cellphone has a persistent internet connection, cameras, and a mic on it that is always listening.

• Dap
Reactions: B86

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I have 79 devices running all kinda ways. Everything through Home Assistant/Alexa and a Raspberry Pi. Motion sensors in every room to run routines based on motion. Different routines enable/disable based on temperates, humidity for the shower, etc. House can determine who is woke in the house so that volumes and light brightness levels are set. Alexa asks me yes or no questions based on what I'm doing and can respond by performing other actions (that shyt was damn near rocket science to set up). I've been having fun with it for about 5 years now.
What made you mix and match assistants?

I'm in Google's ECO system so I don't even look at Alexa products because of that.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
What made you mix and match assistants?

I'm in Google's ECO system so I don't even look at Alexa products because of that.
Alexa doesn’t allow for integration of EVERYTHING yet but Home Assistant does, for the most part. Started with Alexa but it didn’t have enough control so I went there Raspberry Pi route. I have Google Homes too but it’s the least capable of all of the major home automation systems and has nowhere near the functionality I need so they are all unplugged and in a drawer somewhere. Everything Amazon has blows Google out of the water x10, as far as home automation and I’m somebody that has my entire life integrated into Google too