HOME AUTOMATION

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Alexa doesn’t allow for integration of EVERYTHING yet but Home Assistant does, for the most part. Started with Alexa but it didn’t have enough control so I went there Raspberry Pi route. I have Google Homes too but it’s the least capable of all of the major home automation systems and has nowhere near the functionality I need so they are all unplugged and in a drawer somewhere. Everything Amazon has blows Google out of the water x10, as far as home automation and I’m somebody that has my entire life integrated into Google too
:ohhh:

I was wondering how to get more into this for my crib. Can I set up a surveillance system with Home Assistant that streams camera video to Google Home devices? Or is that a no go?

• Dap
Reactions: B86

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hue lights tax too much, when I first started getting into this, I got a gang of them, then I copped some off-brand wifi ones and while the color options weren't as vast as the Hue (hue lights have more variations), the difference in price more than made up for it.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
:ohhh:

I was wondering how to get more into this for my crib. Can I set up a surveillance system with Home Assistant that streams camera video to Google Home devices? Or is that a no go?
First, I saw your post about Hue Lights. There are great colored smart lights on Amazon for $25 for the 6 pack, which is less than one hue bulb.

I would have to look into your question about streaming the cams to google devices. I’m almost completely sure there is a way but Home Assistant wouldn’t make it work. Home Assistant is more just a way to bring home automation devices together from any company and make them interact with each other, if that makes any sense

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
First, I saw your post about Hue Lights. There are great colored smart lights on Amazon for $25 for the 6 pack, which is less than one hue bulb.

I would have to look into your question about streaming the cams to google devices. I’m almost completely sure there is a way but Home Assistant wouldn’t make it work. Home Assistant is more just a way to bring home automation devices together from any company and make them interact with each other, if that makes any sense
Nah, I agree with you about Hue, I was saying that when I was a noob in this, I bought a gang of them, but then I tried out some off brand RGB lights and I'd recommend going that route for anyone interested.

For the home surveillance question, I was just curious, because when I looked into it, it seemed like easiest information to find on that was from home security companies that you have to pay a monthly fee for + cloud storage. I was just thinking one day, like damn, there has to be away to configure cams around the crib and access the feed without paying a 3rd party to do so. I'm a go down a rabbit hole just thinking about this shyt

:snoop:

• Dap
Reactions: B86

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Nah, I agree with you about Hue, I was saying that when I was a noob in this, I bought a gang of them, but then I tried out some off brand RGB lights and I'd recommend going that route for anyone interested.

For the home surveillance question, I was just curious, because when I looked into it, it seemed like easiest information to find on that was from home security companies that you have to pay a monthly fee for + cloud storage. I was just thinking one day, like damn, there has to be away to configure cams around the crib and access the feed without paying a 3rd party to do so. I'm a go down a rabbit hole just thinking about this shyt

No doubt there are many ways but using Google in the grand scheme of it is where I’m not sure about. As far as any other cameras and streaming feeds different ways or even streaming feeds to Alexa devices is easily doable but Google is just where I don’t know. Take Google out of the equation and look at other routes that involve Zigbee, Zwave, and Wifi and you’ll get what you’re looking for

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Matter coming............

Samsung SmartThings get’s full Matter compatibility

Samsung promises Matter support for SmartThings hubs, Galaxy devices, TVs, and fridges

The company is going all-in on the new smart home standard

The Matter smart home train is picking up steam. Following Google’s commitment to the new standard at its developer conference last week and Apple’s addition of Matter support in iOS 15 at WWDC, Samsung is now following suit. The company announced a complete adoption of Matter across Samsung’s Galaxy devices, televisions, Family Hub appliances, and SmartThings hubs at SDC21, its virtual developer conference being held this week.

A founding member of the Matter group (formerly known as Project ChiP), Samsung also announced that it has joined the Thread Group Board of Directors, where it will sit alongside the likes of Apple, Google/Nest, Lutron, Qualcomm, and Silicon Labs to shape the future of the primary protocol that Matter devices will run on.

Matter is a new connectivity standard created through an industry collaboration that aims to become the de-facto smart home application protocol. Once it goes live in early 2022, the idea is to simplify the purchase and setup of connected devices.

With Matter, consumers should be able to buy any Matter-compliant smart home device and know it will work with their smart home platform and voice assistant of choice, regardless of who made it. They should also be able to set up and connect each device with the same process, using the same app, to make the whole thing as easy to do as screwing in a light bulb used to be.

With Samsung SmartThings adopting Matter, it will be possible to add devices that previously couldn’t connect to the SmartThings app or hub and, in reverse, connect SmartThings compatible devices to other Matter-enabled smart home ecosystems. For example, an Eve LED light strip that previously only worked with Apple’s HomeKit could be added to and controlled by the SmartThings app.

Consumer choice is the significant feature here. If you like using the Google Home app, the SmartThings app, or the Apple Home app to control your devices, you can do so without having to worry if it’s Google-enabled, SmartThings-enabled, or HomeKit-enabled. If it works with Matter, it will work with all three apps and all three compatible voice assistants (along with many more).

SmartThings, founded in 2015, was already one of the most open platforms of the big smart home ecosystems, offering support for both Zigbee and Z-Wave protocols, and now, it’s adding Matter. Regarding which SmartThings products will be Matter-enabled, Samantha Fein, Vice President of Business Development and Marketing at SmartThings, said the SmartThings app would be fully Matter-enabled, and all existing SmartThings hubs will adopt the standard, including those now being made by Aeotec.

In terms of Samsung products, Samsung will enable Matter as a controller for its televisions and smart appliances, “As well as other Galaxy products,” Fein said. She couldn’t share specific product names as they are still working on the rollout, which will begin next spring. But it’s safe to assume, at this stage, that will include Samsung smartphones to enable easy setup and control of Matter-enabled smart home devices.

Samsung also announced that it will build SmartThings hubs into its TVs and Family Hub refrigerators. This means, in theory, there should be no need for a separate SmartThings hub device. This is something Samsung had previously announced but is only just implementing. Fein couldn’t confirm if there would be upgrades for existing televisions and smart fridges or if this would only apply to new devices going forward. But she did confirm that it will be a software-based “hub,” saying there will not be smart home radios in the products, as there are in the existing stand-alone hubs.

However, when pressed about the future potential for a smart fridge or TV to be a Thread Border Router, she hinted that would be possible. “We’re very excited about the future and utilizing Matter as a central thought for us around what the future smart home looks like,” Fein said. Thread is the low-powered mesh protocol that is a primary way Matter devices will communicate, and border routers are devices that will help extend connectivity throughout a home.

Ultimately, Fein made it clear that SmartThings is moving away from its physical hub-based origins and towards a more integrated hardware experience with Samsung products. The recent launch of SmartThings Edge, which allows device-to-device communications to run locally, even without an internet connection, enables a future where multiple hardware radios might not be necessary to keep a smart home running smoothly. “Directionally, that’s what we’re hoping to achieve,” she said.

As everyone sits around and waits on Matter and its promise of smart home interoperability, there is one company that has been suspiciously silent of late. Amazon has had very little to say on the matter since announcing its Echo speakers will get Matter-support earlier this summer. At this stage, I’ll classify that as slightly worrying for the forward momentum of the adoption of Matter, although we’re not quite at “completely concerning.”

Daps
most cameras have a rtsp stream , you can open up on vlc or most media players

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Nah, I agree with you about Hue, I was saying that when I was a noob in this, I bought a gang of them, but then I tried out some off brand RGB lights and I'd recommend going that route for anyone interested
What do you recommend?

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
What do you recommend?
Nowadays just go with the cheapest option that "Works With Alexa" and is Wifi (not bluetooth). Of course it has to have good reviews too. I'm slowly migrating everything over to Alexa and getting away from the Raspberry Pi and Hubs because everything works great with Alexa now besides motion sensors. I want to say the latest bulbs I grabbed were called Days Best or something like that and they are colored bulbs; bright enough for living room lighting, depending on how big the living room is I guess. Was $20 for the 6 pack, all colored. I don't even pay attention to the brands anymore because most are on par with each other at this point.

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Amazon has child monitors for $20 that can be controlled by my Google assistant and it’s compatible with Alexa as well.

I have it in my living room so I can monitor my kids if I’m upstairs doing something or I can peep what’s good with the fam when I’m outside the house too because it’swifi. Even has a mic so we can talk (they can’t see me, I see them)

i once had it face my TV and streamed a fight, quality was 1080p and it looked as good as any regular 1080p streamed event so get creative. I’ll drop the model when I’m back in the house. It could be used as a door speaker, surveillance, whatever

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
SmartThings with various sensors.
Alexa
Eufy doorbell and wifi cameras.
Ecobee thermosthat
Outdoor wired camera to NVR.
Plex server
NAS (stores Plex Media, home movies, pics, etc)

Just downloaded Homeassistant, the possibilities! :gladbron:
So far I have integrated all of the above into it, got a tab in there to show my cams livestreams.

Next project is to replace the NVR with BlueIris and have all cameras (from different platforms) managed through there.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Are your smart lights compatible with google home?

I got the nest doorbell and thermostat recently...gotta get the rest of the house lit

Yeah got these joints. Say OK Google to set time, turn on, dim, change color etc

71xro8dWZML._AC_SL1500_.jpg