Holy shyt drill rap has spread to FRANCE(France goons bitin lil reese flow, toatin AR 15s! )

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DJ Kool Herc "invented" hip hop music/ rap. He was born in Jamaica

Hip Hop/ Rap was born in Jamaica.

Jamaica didn't get its first recording studio until 1950s, and even then it was used solely for middle class white people music. So sound systems would travel around Jamaica, each sound system had it's own DJ who would play records and spit bars (toast) over them, this eventually became an art in itself.

Toasting is rhyming in patterns, the toasting became popular amongst poor people considering they didn't have access to DJing equipment. Ghetto people mastered their lyrics, soon enough the DJ had to give up the mic to a real MC, DJ Kool Herc saw this growing up and took it to America when he emigrated.

This is the story of Rap

sound-system-photo.jpg

sound-system.jpg

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".
  1. "Hip Hop: The Illustrated History of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti", by Steven Hager, 1984, St Martin's Press, p.45

:manny:

Last edited:

galsen

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Guys, no matter if rap was born in Jamaica or NY, what I actually meant is that Rap in its current form for the last lets say 30 years was popularized in the states and got a worldwide influence. Jamaica had a similar worldwide influence with reggae to the point you have artists like Gentleman (german) today. A cultural artform will always come from influences, no matter how you spin it. It can be argued that ancient african rythms influenced BOTH reggae and rap.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Every time i see this thread upped i laughed at the posters who were surprised that there were a lot of black people in France. :mjlol:
I went to Paris in 2012 and i swore i saw almost more black people than i do in Atlanta on a daily basis. And from what i recall it's always been like that

Daps
Reppin
Sud de Paname
Every time i see this thread upped i laughed at the posters who were surprised that there were a lot of black people in France. :mjlol:
I went to Paris in 2012 and i swore i saw almost more black people than i do in Atlanta on a daily basis. And from what i recall it's always been like that
I'm From Paris and it's always been like this to me . some hours or some areas you only see black folks walkin around sometimes it looks like Africa

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I'm From Paris and it's always been like this to me . some hours or some areas you only see black folks walkin around sometimes it looks like Africa
Yeah thats what i noticed. Areas like Denis and the area i was in near garre de L'Est and Garre du Nord. Straight black

But black people here tend to assume that of all the Major countries (USA, UK, France, etc) only the U.S. has a significant amount of blacks

Daps
Yeah thats what i noticed. Areas like Denis and the area i was in near garre de L'Est and Garre du Nord. Straight black

But black people here tend to assume that of all the Major countries (USA, UK, France, etc) only the U.S. has a significant amount of blacks

Thats moreso in the burbs or is it true also of the city city?

I have family out there but I always just assumed they claimed Paris when they really lived right outside:yeshrug:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Thats moreso in the burbs or is it true also of the city city?

I have family out there but I always just assumed they claimed Paris when they really lived right outside:yeshrug:
I dont know where mofos live. But they were there. Its like I went to NY a few times for work. I wouldnt know where black people live in NY. If they live in the suburbs but just claim NY. Irrelevant. If you live in the vecinity you might as well claim it. I live in Alpharetta but i claim Atlanta. 15 mile outs. I lived in North Miami Beach but claim Miami. 7 miles out. I lived in Carrefour and Delmas in Haiti but claimed Port-Au-Prince. Same difference

Put is this way when a black person in the U.S. tell you they are from NY or ATL do you go through the process of trying to identify exactly where?

Daps
I dont know where mofos live. But they were there. Its like I went to NY a few times for work. I wouldnt know where black people live in NY. If they live in the suburbs but just claim NY. Irrelevant. If you live in the vecinity you might as well claim it. I live in Alpharetta but i claim Atlanta. 15 mile outs. I lived in North Miami Beach but claim Miami. 7 miles out. I lived in Carrefour and Delmas in Haiti but claimed Port-Au-Prince. Same difference

Put is this way when a black person in the U.S. tell you they are from NY or ATL do you go through the process of trying to identify exactly where?

guess its a regional thing.

Cause in NYC, if you live outside the city you cant claim the city/borough. Its an unwritten rule. So as far as NY yea, a NYer would press you trying to identify where.

But anyway im asking to see if you know where the black population stay at. Cause there are 2+million blacks in NYC, but NYC is segregated and you wouldnt really understand that unless you were in the outer boroughs/closer to Long Island. Wondering if it was the same thing in Paris

• Dap
Reactions: Dip