Holy Cannoli! We’re On The Strive For Five! The Dynasty Rolls On! Golden State Warriors 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Eros

Gold Blooded 🏆🏆🏆🏆
Daps
It's strange to me how Kerr was criticized at the start of the season for playing the likes of Lamb, Donte, Jerome and JMG over the young guys, and that ended up being the right decision, then persevered with Klay despite his struggles and that ended up being the right decision. Now it seems we're back to blaming him again for whatever struggles they're going through at the moment.
That's not proven to be the "right decision". Neither main objective has been reached.

The Dubs are under .500 AND most of the "two timeline" young guys haven't got the playing time they needed to develop. JK is the only exception.

You just like Kerr more than me and take the time to build a case for him. I could write a book on his mistakes of action or inaction, if I wanted to.

Curry was clearly sick tonight and was hurting the team. Kerr should have gave him the night off, or very limited minutes.

Are the Dubs underperforming or overperforming this year? How is a head coach's performance measured?

You think the new starting lineup that no one asked for is a good decision too?

Nothing wrong with throwing some criticism Kerr's way. He is the head coach.

We don't just pick on the players and coaches we don't like.

Daps
That's not proven to be the "right decision". Neither main objective has been reached.

The Dubs are under .500 AND most of the "two timeline" young guys haven't got the playing time they needed to develop. JK is the only exception.
All the guys who've received playing time over Moody and Wiseman have provided more impact. That has been the right decision. They'd have an even worse record right now and be in a worse state if they continued to prioritize developing those two over trying to win. There isn't a championship team in the modern era where a coach was forced to develop as many young guys as Kerr has had to. It hasn't happened for a reason.
You just like Kerr more than me and take the time to build a case for him. I could write a book on his mistakes of action or inaction, if I wanted to.
It's not about me liking anyone.

I hold everyone accountable exactly as it reflects the reality of the situation. I think it's patently ridiculous to keep blaming Kerr for shyt he's either i) not responsible for ii) trivial matters that don't speak to the bigger picture iii) mistakes that every single coach in the league makes. No coach in the league is perfect; no coach in the league is without their own faults. It's just funny to me how a coach who's won four titles in eight years seems to get criticized as if he's never won anything, as if he constantly needs to proves himself. He did the improbable turning a makeshift roster into NBA champions last season:

- Steph, Klay and Dray didn't even play one minute together prior to the playoffs (both Dray and Klay were in reduced physical states)
- they only had one legitimate big man in the rotation, who'd be lucky to crack the rotation of any other playoff team
- had fringe NBA talent and injury-prone players being integral parts of the system
- turned a widely-considered bust who didn't know how to play winning-basketball into the best version of himself.

If you could write a book on his mistakes and/or inactions, I could write a library worth of material of how he doesn't get the credit he deserves, that any other coach in the league and prior would be heralded as one of the GOATs.

Now, that doesn't mean he's without his foibles, but they're either inconsequential or they're only the perspective of someone who's choosing to find faults that aren't really there. I notice how you keep on drawing back to blaming him after every loss, when you know cotdamn well that he's not the one ultimately responsible for why they're losing. If that were the case they wouldn't have had the success they've had, unless you believe it's all a mirage and he's done absolutely nothing to create the environment/culture that has led to them dominating over the last near-decade.
Curry was clearly sick tonight and was hurting the team. Kerr should have gave him the night off, or very limited minutes.
Let me get this straight:

You wanted Kerr to bench Klay
You wanted Kerr to give Steph the night off (after he just had a game off or give him "very limited minutes".

All the while contesting with Wiggins, whom for whatever reason has been playing like trash since he returned (hence why he ended up on the bench for most of the 4th). And then I'd imagine if Poole had another poor performance, you'd want Kerr to bench him too. Who would that leave?

Is Kerr supposed to just bench every key player whenever they're playing poorly until nobody is left in the rotation? When has this ever been a recipe for success with this squad? When has being this volatile around rotations ever rewarded them at the business end of each season?
Are the Dubs underperforming or overperforming this year? How is a head coach's performance measured?
A head coach who's led this team to four titles in eight years should be judged differently to a coach who's yet to prove himself. Y'all were questioning Kerr last season and look what happened. He even exceeded my expectations given I didn't think this team was talented enough to win last year. They're underperforming thus far for an infinite number of reasons, all of which have little to do with Kerr's coaching (or lack thereof).

They're a squad with a core who're coming to the end of their expiration date, who aren't going to get up for regular season games like they did back in 2015. Not only because they know what it takes to pace themselves, but because they're not young anymore. They wasted a #2 pick on a bum instead of acquiring adequate depth to maximize their closing window. They overpriced a #30 pick whose style of play and disposition doesn't fit the team. They're still running with only one legitimate big, who would be riding the bench on most other playoff teams. They wasted a number of lottery picks on players who aren't ready to contribute in any meaningful manner. They've had to contend with Klay having a mental block during the offseason where he couldn't train. They've had to contend with Dray's body breaking down. They've had to contend with Steph suffering another injury. They've had to contend with a front office who've tried to force this two timelines bullshyt. They've had to contend with a front office that refuses to sign the appropriate personnel.

The list goes on.

Kerr's coaching doesn't even register as a problem.

The biggest indictment I've seen in this thread is that he should be benching x-player or y-player, most of whom have ended up redeeming themselves (in Klay's case), or they've been better than their replacements (Lamb, Donte, JMG, Jerome). Is Kerr relying too much on one player to generate offense? No. Is he unnecessarily playing players beyond their abilities? No. Is he holding players back from their true potential that would benefit the team? No.

What exactly is he guilty of that hasn't worked over the last decade? What is he doing, or not doing, that's holding this team back?

The thing with coaching in the NBA is, there comes a point where groups essentially run by themselves. They don't need telling what to do, or they don't need developing, or they don't need coaching up on a system etc. They've been through enough where the onus is on them. It's how those Duncan-led Spurs teams ended up running. It's how the MJ-led Bulls teams ended up running. It's how the Magic-led Lakers teams ended up running.

I think this is where folks simultaneously underrate and overrate coaching in the league. They find things that reinforce their preconceptions about a coach and stick to them, rather than taking a step back and judging the situation as it is.
You think the new starting lineup that no one asked for is a good decision too?
They're experimenting to see what works best (it's help to alleviate Looney's workload while keeping Poole in with the starters). They did this last season. The coaching staff believe it is necessary to find the right formula in time for the playoffs. If it doesn't work, then they'll tinker with it and try something new.

They've noticed how Poole plays better when he's alongside Steph and Dray, and not so well when he has to be the lead guy. You've even mentioned this yourself, saying you don't see him as a main ball-handler, well, this is a way to address that issue. He plays a lot more in control when he's not tasked with trying to create offense for a lineup.

Would you rather them go back to Poole on the bench, where he's the main source of offense in the lineups he's in, and then complain about how they shouldn't have him in that role?
Nothing wrong with throwing some criticism Kerr's way. He is the head coach.
Everyone should be criticized with whatever crime they commit. The problem I've noticed is that you make up crimes to convict him with, which he's rarely ever guilty of, and if he does, it deserves no more than a brief mention, and not one where he seems like you want him to be buried under the proverbial.

Of course, Kerr is gonna have his favorites. They're the guys who know how to win. They've proven it, time and time and time and time again. They've proven to work it out themselves on what they should do to rectify the situation. That's how this team has managed to be as successful as they've been. Benching these players when they haven't got it going, or they're in a rut, is myopic, and it would only hinder the same process that they've had in place every season since 2014.

Daps
We have zero margin for error… if you see he’s forcing it reel him in it’s nothing wrong with that..
Klay is who he is at this point of his career. He knows what it takes to win. He knows what he should be doing. He knows what works and what doesn't. I can't imagine the amount of conversations he's had with Kerr and Steph, Dray and Iggy about this. He even mentioned this when he was going through a rough patch earlier in the season about a conversation he had with Dray about him forcing things.

There's only so much everyone around him can say and do, especially after all these years.

It's something this team has to live with for however long he remains on the team.

There isn't a coach in existence that is going to change him, or Dray, or Steph. They are who they are.

Again, focusing on what Kerr should be telling Klay or making him do is inconsequential. It's not even a thing. It's not going to change anything. It's not going to have some great ripple effect that rewires Klay to where he doesn't do this ever again. He'll do again and again and again. He'll do it in the playoffs. As long as his body allows him to, he'll do it every season.

You think benching him at 33 is suddenly going to change how he operates?

If it becomes an issue to where it's a detriment to the team, well, the only course is to get rid of him.

King Eros

Gold Blooded 🏆🏆🏆🏆
Daps
Ok, blaming Kerr or the bench is a distraction.

Let's keep it simple.

Regardless of lineups, trades, or whatever.

Steph, Klay and Wigs need to play better.

That will pretty much solve all our problems.

And I expect them to do exactly that.

Steph and Wigs are clearly not 100% back after injury, so I'll give grace. Klay just had a hero ball night. He's been locked in for months now and will bounce back.

We'll see what Warriors team shows up vs Memphis on Wed. That's one of the teams that brings out our focus in the regular season.

Should be a good barometer.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Klay is who he is at this point of his career. He knows what it takes to win. He knows what he should be doing. He knows what works and what doesn't. I can't imagine the amount of conversations he's had with Kerr and Steph, Dray and Iggy about this. He even mentioned this when he was going through a rough patch earlier in the season about a conversation he had with Dray about him forcing things.

There's only so much everyone around him can say and do, especially after all these years.

It's something this team has to live with for however long he remains on the team.

There isn't a coach in existence that is going to change him, or Dray, or Steph. They are who they are.

Again, focusing on what Kerr should be telling Klay or making him do is inconsequential. It's not even a thing. It's not going to change anything. It's not going to have some great ripple effect that rewires Klay to where he doesn't do this ever again. He'll do again and again and again. He'll do it in the playoffs. As long as his body allows him to, he'll do it every season.

You think benching him at 33 is suddenly going to change how he operates?

If it becomes an issue to where it's a detriment to the team, well, the only course is to get rid of him.
i don’t agree with benching him on some king her shyt just in regards to situational basketball in game adjustments… Bench him for a few mins so he can stop force shooting over double teams…

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush

Let's keep it simple.

Steph and Wigs are clearly not 100% back after injury, so I'll give grace. Klay just had a hero ball night. He's been locked in for months now and will bounce back.

We'll see what Warriors team shows up vs Memphis on Wed. That's one of the teams that brings out our focus in the regular season.

we gonna smash this Memphis clowns again… The focus will def be there lmaoo

King Eros

Gold Blooded 🏆🏆🏆🏆
Daps
On the positive...
:myman:
JK is improving quickly and becoming a real force out there. The future is very bright for him and us.

Donte is a great 2 way player and fits into our system like a lock in key. He plays great with JP and JK as well and makes them better.

JMG had a solid game in Cleveland. Hopefully he can keep up that same level of play and be that stretch big.

JP is playing much better defense and letting the game come to him on offense.

Loon is playing like SuperLoon. Producing 30 minutes worth of rebounding in 20 minutes. Looking like Bill Russell out there.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
We have zero margin for error… if you see he’s forcing it reel him in it’s nothing wrong with that..
thats the thing. No one is saying trade the dude. And just bc he played well previously doesnt mean he cant be benched

Hell, Wiggs just got benched down the stretch. And DDV was taken out when he was doing well. Funny thing is, that the other guys get benched when they play well instead of Klay, so they're the ones negatively impacted over this

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps

Let's keep it simple.

idk if it's a barometer

If they win, they'll be like "we're finally turning a corner" and then lose the next game :aicmon:

over half the season in is more representative of the team. Fact is, if the Warriors truly wanna go anywhere, a trade needs to be made

-Moody just doesnt get play time. Even vs the Cavs, he only played 14 mins, and ty jerome played 41 mins and Lamb played 25 mins. He's in that Romeo Langford/Aaron Nesmith tier of lottery pick who dont get much playing time and should be moved. Is what it is
-Wiseman sucks, so that's 2 lottery picks the warriors got that haven't worked
-Jamychal didn't play for whatever reason
-PBJ doesnt play unless we are undermanned, and even then it's less than 10 mins
-Iguodala ain't playing. And if he does, he'll miss the next 10 games. Not a reliable guy bc he's 38 going on 39
-Rollins doesn't do shyt. A complete waste of a spot.
-A completely unused 15th roster spot

The only people that play off the bench are Kuminga and DDV and Poole. That's pretty much an 8 man rotation you have to use from now until season's end. So you're pretty much gonna run these guys ragged to get wins....and the warriors are STILL under .500

I also think the coaching staff is suspect. Why is Kenny Atkinson our defensive coordinator? He's never been a defensive minded coach. He's more development than defense. Last season we used to throw 2-3 defensive schemes on a team in minutes. We don't have any defensive versatility this season. Even without Wiseman, we still run drop coverage, and we don't switch well. IDK what Jama does. I guess he's development, but outside of kuminga, our young guys suck and haven't shown improvement. Q (Bruce Fraser) is steph's guy, but idk what he's done to be a 1st row assistant coach. He's a player development guy, and again, the young guys aint shyt

Last edited:

Piff Tannen

Superstar
Daps
He literally just missed the most time he’s ever missed in his life. You won’t give him grace but let Klay play like it’s mycareer all szn.

To me this is a testimony how severe that abductor strain was and the lack of activity. You and others can probably speak more to it. Being that I've only been able to see a handful of warrior games as of late. It's seems like his legs really aren't quite there. His ball handling is a loose as ever and his shot is either short or too flat most of the time. I've seen a missed dunk and he's a step slower on to recover after getting beat off the dribble.

Last edited:

King Eros

Gold Blooded 🏆🏆🏆🏆
Daps
idk if it's a barometer

If they win, they'll be like "we're finally turning a corner" and then lose the next game :aicmon:

over half the season in is more representative of the team. Fact is, if the Warriors truly wanna go anywhere, a trade needs to be made

-Moody just doesnt get play time. Even vs the Cavs, he only played 14 mins, and ty jerome played 41 mins and Lamb played 25 mins. He's in that Romeo Langford/Aaron Nesmith tier of lottery pick who dont get much playing time and should be moved. Is what it is
-Wiseman sucks, so that's 2 lottery picks the warriors got that haven't worked
-Jamychal didn't play for whatever reason
-PBJ doesnt play unless we are undermanned, and even then it's less than 10 mins
-Iguodala ain't playing. And if he does, he'll miss the next 10 games. Not a reliable guy bc he's 38 going on 39
-Rollins doesn't do shyt. A complete waste of a spot.
-A completely unused 15th roster spot

The only people that play off the bench are Kuminga and DDV and Poole. That's pretty much an 8 man rotation you have to use from now until season's end. So you're pretty much gonna run these guys ragged to get wins....and the warriors are STILL under .500

I also think the coaching staff is suspect. Why is Kenny Atkinson our defensive coordinator? He's never been a defensive minded coach. He's more development than defense. Last season we used to throw 2-3 defensive schemes on a team in minutes. We don't have any defensive versatility this season. Even without Wiseman, we still run drop coverage, and we don't switch well. IDK what Jama does. I guess he's development, but outside of kuminga, our young guys suck and haven't shown improvement. Q (Bruce Fraser) is steph's guy, but idk what he's done to be a 1st row assistant coach. He's a player development guy, and again, the young guys aint shyt
Yeah good points. Maybe barometer isn't the right word. I think verifying that they still have a functioning "Switch" is what we'll learn.

They seem to think they can turn it on at anytime and beat anyone, hence why there's ZERO urgency in the regular season. Maybe they're right?

Yeah the roster is real raggedy after 8. Lots of wasted draft picks and roster spots. They actually need to sign at least Lamb and I wouldn't be mad if they signed Jerome too and shipped off Rollins. Decisions have to be made and NO MOVES is a decision as well.

You're right about the coaching staff. I think that's what I mostly mean when I go at Kerr. Still surprised there's so little dialog about the loss of Mike Brown, when the impact is so obvious. And now Sac is an actual contender? Crazy town.

Scouting, drafting, and player development definitely needs to be in the Summer Jam screen.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
He don’t really play defense tho… I really hope the FO isn’t sitting on their asses… if they let another trade deadline pass again we done for
Lamb or Jerome will prolly get moved to the 15th roster spot and they’ll call it a day after that :francis:

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Lamb or Jerome will prolly get moved to the 15th roster spot and they’ll call it a day after that :francis:
That’s the thing they can keep both lamb and Jerome but they gonna have to move wiseman and moody with picks.. they can secure a big… Move lamb in the 15th spot and Jerome in moody spot

Status
Not open for further replies.