‘Hit Man’ (dir. by Richard Linklater, starring Glen Powell) | Netflix (6/7)

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
In real life most people of any race don’t ACT like the stereotypes of that race…that is actually genuine to me

sure. Not saying she should behave stereotypically, like flipping tortillas in every scene- but the name Madison Masters? I guess that's maybe her husbands name. Just something I noticed. I mean, she's clearly latin. From her seduction techniques, there's lot's of little things that I see just because she is Latin. Arjona is like Argentenian or something. but her mannerisms, she even has like a slight accent I want to say, the way she phrases things.

I am probably a little TOO close to the material lol in all fairness, lots of latin women in my personal life --but esp. in the bedroom/behind closed doors/with a lover it's common to lapse into Spanish, or at least acknowledge the culture.

Lefty Gunz

Superstar
Daps
Honestly, Adria Arjona distracted me the whole movies. That's one fine ass broad

giphy.webp

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
Glenn is charismatic as fukk

Main broad is bad as fukk

A decent watch

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
interesting there is only one negative review. Hard to believe all those critics actually loved this. Not saying it's horrible but in the B/B-, if you took away Arjona, the movie is really weak. I guess I thought it would be kind of that harsh/real writing from Before Midnight. maybe an unrealistic expectation.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I think this has clear flaws, but the writing honestly got kinda deep towards the middle when it came down to Gary having to deal with Madison liking the “dangerous” Ron persona more than the real, dorky him and I enjoyed that side of it.

Was not the biggest fan of those last ten minutes. It felt a little too ridiculous in tone compared with the rest of the movie. If this was something like HBO’s Barry, I’d be more than okay with it but this was not that. That being said, I think the story still manages to come full circle after cycling back to Gary’s conversation with his ex. That Ron persona of his was breaking through in the moments when he was just regular ol’ Gary. Him and Madison both brought out that wild side in each other, for better and worse.

This ends up blending a medley of genres, be it romance and comedy, but noir is a central one and the endings for those type of flicks usually leave an audience feeling heavily conflicted by the end. It works for me, and I wouldn’t mind watching it again during a date night or something.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think this has clear flaws, but the writing honestly got kinda deep towards the middle when it came down to Gary having to deal with Madison liking the “dangerous” Ron persona more than the real, dorky him and I enjoyed that side of it.

Was not the biggest fan of those last ten minutes. It felt a little too ridiculous in tone compared with the rest of the movie. If this was something like HBO’s Barry, I’d be more than okay with it but this was not that. That being said, I think the story still manages to come full circle after cycling back to Gary’s conversation with his ex. That Ron persona of his was breaking through in the moments when he was just regular ol’ Gary. Him and Madison both brought out that wild side in each other, for better and worse.

This ends up blending a medley of genres, be it romance and comedy, but noir is a central one and the endings for those type of flicks usually leave an audience feeling heavily conflicted by the end. It works for me, and I wouldn’t mind watching it again during a date night or something.

it never felt like he was very conflicted to me. but it wasn't that kind of a movie. The sex/seduction was sexy, but never felt truly dangerous or consuming either. Not the kind of thing that truly turns you inside out.

The whole tone of everything was very sanded down, very Netlfix. How did you see the conflict of Ron/Gary portrayed?

and this is unfair, I think, you can do this with any movie, but when he sees her again, why not just tell her, hey I am not a hitman, but I play one for the police, (which is pretty dangerous anyway on some level) and I basically saved your life? The suspension of disbelief around the whole hitman angle never worked for me, because the movie was too light. Madison never seemed dangerous. And neither did Gary. I almost want to circle back to the Netflix idea of "4 quadrant" movies.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This would've made so much money in 2006. I really liked how it blended the studio rom com with a straight up noir. I really wasn't sure where it was going until Arjona was introduced, it felt very episodic until she arrived. This was Glen Powell's coming out performance, he killed it.

I have not seen someone look so hot in a movie in such a long time. I mean a totally knockout every time she was on screen :wow:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
This would've made so much money in 2006. I really liked how it blended the studio rom com with a straight up noir. I really wasn't sure where it was going until Arjona was introduced, it felt very episodic until she arrived. This was Glen Powell's coming out performance, he killed it.

I have not seen someone look so hot in a movie in such a long time. I mean a totally knockout every time she was on screen :wow:
Nearly universal approval rating except for @Art Barr

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps

lostwanderer.gif

Had to post this.
:wow:
Going to watch with the Wife tonight.

dizzy4111

Superstar
Daps
Linklater is a top 3 working American director to me

Really wild the studio didn't push this harder in theaters. People are fukking with this movie.