‘Hit Man’ (dir. by Richard Linklater, starring Glen Powell) | Netflix (6/7)

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Fun little flick. Linklater just knows how to scratch that itch for me and it’s nice to see New Orleans getting shine here. Not sure how I feel about the last act, but overall, this one took me back to the low-stakes rom-coms of the late aughts. Wouldn’t have minded laughing along to this with an audience in the theater.

As wild as it has been watching Powell land almost every upcoming role, I get why Hollywood is obsessed with him. The guy has charisma for days. Could tell him and Adria had a fun ass time shooting this too. Much better chemistry here than with Sydney.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That's Ricardo Arjona's daughter, major latin pop star, have a Colombian girl friend who I listen to with, and she translated lol

Linklater is like a second tier favorite of mine, love the Trilogy, watched Before Midnight this week, and that movie is just incredible, esp. to watch about 10 years later, how much more I know about relationships, sex, marriage. it's maybe the best of the three.

I don't like all his stuff. Some is too cute. But he's a incredible talent. Loved Boyhood. The Trilogy. Everybody Wants Some was good, but I don't remember it much. Actually saw that on the Paramount lot.

Last edited:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
All cosplay and meet cute, a plot tailor made to serve that purpose. I've seen better date movies this month, 7/10

She don't show nothing cept a body dress in a mirror's reflection, lil ass, no tiddies

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody watch this yet?

It was a cool movie, nice execution of what Linklater was trying to land, I’d say he succeeded. It’s shot beautifully, a little slow pacing wise, there’s no real ACTION or fast pacing cuts when you think of a movie called Hit Man but it worked for what it was. Original in that sense.

Some good twists near the end but I didn’t like how it ended. The script itself is good. It’s worth watching but might not be what you’re expecting which can be a good or bad thing.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Arjona's performance was distractingly good - she reminded me too much and too often of several women I know, one recent Adrian Lyne style affair, and a few others that are still around -- the charm, the sex, the looks, the mannerisms. Almost had to turn it off, not because it was bad, but just cut way too close. Wasn't expecting a softer Linklater movie to send me into fight or flight mode on a quiet Friday night lol

Ok, so that's out of the way, I liked it, but it didn't punch very hard, and a lot of it was pretty contrived, I know it's meant to be lighter. The movie comes alive during the sex/flirtation/seduction between Arjoana and Powell, through the framework of that isn't very convincing either. That Arjona's character would start sleeping with a hitman or a man she believed to be was shaky, though the movie conveys her dark/wild side, I got it, it just didn't really sell me, the way their actual chemistry mostly did.

The backdrop of the ID, EGO, Super EGO was good. The mild mannered college professor turned sexual bad boy was again shaky at best. Powell is almost like the cliched nerd turned high school prom queen movies, where he puts on a jacket and is a bad boy. I am something of a romance/sex addict/intense myself, but you can't just switch that off and on. Nor can you go from very conservative sex to wildly exploring without any experience. but realism is not really on display here-- Also, true that some people you can bring that out eachother sometimes.

So, the movie is something of a rom/com fantasy, and doesn't have a lot of edge. The way like an Adrian Lyne version in the 90's would have. The camera work and set design was solid, but not brilliant. The darker twists towards the end were solid, and a few good shots, the bag scene. But, the punches were kind of pulled. it's too soft. too sweet. too contrived. probably the most accurate thing is that it's rarely convincing. It reminds me of my friends and I watching Assassins in 1995 and thinking that hit men who only killed bad people were a thing. The only person who was actually killed, only two, were "bad" guys.

liked the intro about how hit man aren't real, I say that all the time whenever that convo comes up. also, as someone who does have something of a double life, and I have been very intimately involved with people who didn't really know what I did for work, it kind of worked on that level, but he rarely ever seemed even a little conflicted. Just like an affair, the guilt will wrack your nerves, but you can't stop. and from experience, getting super intense with someone and keeping a large part of yourself hidden, isn't easy.

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Not that I am "outraged" or even critical, but just looking at the movies treatment of race is interesting. Arjona is clearly latin, and her character doesn't have to scream she is from Mexico, (or wherever) or her family is, whatever, but not only do they give her a VERY white name, her ethnicity is never remarked on. I do know ALOT of pretty "white washed" Mexican women, but even they, up close and personal, are going to nod at their background.

anyway, then the character of the cop, is racist. but did I miss that part? Also, the two characters who were men, and "bad" were very much a certain type. There wasn't a lot of complicated feelings or characters, Linklater seemed to want to graze the surface for the most part, because there's some interesting material there, in terms of identity, thrill seeking compulsive behavior, identity role conflict, sexual exploration/obsession, violence, but the movie only kind of brushed through all that lightly.

There was no real hint that Gary had a dark side, or even the desire for one. Or even the ability to have one. Madison's is played pretty overtly. Thrill seeking. The gun thing. Even the idea she would go have a drink with a contract killer. This is mostly just personal preference, but the themes were too dark and too interesting to be so light and tender all the time. too tame.

edit: well yeah the nod at "Iivng dangerously" and Nietsczhe

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Not that I am "outraged" or even critical, but just looking at the movies treatment of race is interesting. Arjona is clearly latin, and her character doesn't have to scream she is from Mexico, (or wherever) or her family is, whatever, but not only do they give her a white name, her ethnicity is never remarked on. I do know ALOT of pretty "white washed" Mexican women, but even they, up close and personal, are going to nod at their background.

anyway, then the character of the cop, is racist. but did I miss that part? Also, the two characters who were men, and "bad" were very much a certain type. There wasn't a lot of complicated feelings or characters, Linklater seemed to want to graze the surface for the most part, because there's some interesting material there, in terms of identity, thrill seeking compulsive behavior, identity role conflict, sexual exploration/obsession, violence, but the movie only kind of brushed through all that lightly.

There was no real hint that Gary had a dark side, or even the desire for one. Or even the ability to have one. Madison's is played pretty overtly. Thrill seeking. The gun thing. Even the idea she would go have a drink with a contract killer. This is mostly just personal preference, but the themes were too dark and too interesting to be so light and tender all the time. too tame.
In the rare instances Latinas get leading roles they are almost never play latinas. Or mention their ethnicity. It irks me (see ana de Armas, eiza Gonzalez etc)