History of how Haitian immigration transformed and revolutionized Louisiana's AA population

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
While Haitian immigrants did have an influence on New Orlean culture, it was not that large. Also if I remember correctly Haitian Vodou and New Orleans Voodoo have some big differences. For one there is Voodoo dolls in New Orleans Voodoo which comes from European influence while Voodoo dolls does not exist in Haitian Vodou.

Daps
While Haitian immigrants did have an influence on New Orlean culture, it was not that large. Also if I remember correctly Haitian Vodou and New Orleans Voodoo have some big differences. For one there is Voodoo dolls in New Orleans Voodoo which comes from European influence while Voodoo dolls does not exist in Haitian Vodou.
several thousand Haitian immigrants migrating in the New Orleans region during the early colonial era when the city was between under 10k to a little over 25k total is going to have a significant impact:comeon:.....Haitians being some of the black New Orleanians first and most prominent scholars. playing a major role in multiple wars fought on Louisiana soil(including the Civil War), being the origin of Louisiana's famous creole population isn't that large and voodoo culture isn't that large an affect to black South Louisianans(n particular) culture:childplease:it doesn't have to be exactly the same but it's no secret New Orleans voodoo has Haitian roots...

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave

voodoo dolls?
European influence?

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
Haiti ties to and affect on Louisiana's black population are so significant it's odd that we aren't really known for our Haitian descent community unlike say black South Floridians.:usure:.though i assume cause most black Louisianans of Haitian roots became Americanized after a few generations and lost their Haitian identity after the US government purchased Louisiana and imposed their will on rebellious Haitian immigrants.:yeshrug:
I grew up in rural south Louisiana, I recognize Haitian surnames instantly. Narcise, Toussaint, Bourgeois, Baptise, Fournette. It's common knowledge a lot of us had Haitian roots. I know a lot of those names pop up in Iberia and St. Mary parishes, coincidentally those are some of the rowdiest black folk I know.

Daps
I grew up in rural south Louisiana, I recognize Haitian surnames instantly. Narcise, Toussaint, Bourgeois, Baptise, Fournette. It's common knowledge a lot of us had Haitian roots. I know a lot of those names pop up in Iberia and St. Mary parishes, coincidentally those are some of the rowdiest black folk I know.
yeah it should be pretty much understood black Louisianians and AAs a a whole with French last names likely have Haitian roots...i've also met black South Lousianians outside of NO from Lake Charles or maybe it was Lafayette whom had similar Caribbean sounding accents NO blackfolk are known for which i found interesting but never thought it could be to shared Haitian background until now:patrice:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
several thousand Haitian immigrants migrating in the New Orleans region during the early colonial era when the city was between under 10k to a little over 25k total is going to have a significant impact:comeon:.....Haitians being some of the black New Orleanians first and most prominent scholars. playing a major role in multiple wars fought on Louisiana soil(including the Civil War), being the origin of Louisiana's famous creole population isn't that large and voodoo culture isn't that large an affect to black South Louisianans(n particular) culture:childplease:it doesn't have to be exactly the same but it's no secret New Orleans voodoo has Haitian roots...

Sources? Epecially for boilded????

I'm part Haitian and it seems you're Haitianizing New Orleanian history

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Most Black people from Louisiana were taken there during the Slave trade from other Southern States. They were sold down the Mississippi River from places like North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee to plantations in Louisiana and Mississippi. Which is where we get the "phrase sold down the river" from.

The conditions in Mississippi and Louisiana were much harsher and the slave owners were much poorer and much more ignorant than in the other States; that the slaves were taken from which is why the slaves dreaded being sold down river and going into those States.

Btw, not all the Black people in New Orleans were from Haiti. France lay claim to New Orleans since it's founding in 1718. Most of the slaves belonged to the French that had plantations in and around New Orleans; rather than Haitians that were bought there by other French slave owners during the Haitian Revolution.

Last edited:

Fox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
PHARAOH & THEM
Wish I had more time to get into this as a black louisianan but I will say with 100% clarity the bulk of new orleans black population came straight from the senegambia region in the 1700s. The 1809 immigration of Haitians doubled the new orleans population to 20,000 but one third of those who came were 'white' Haitians. That's about the same amount OR less than the current population of blacks inhabiting the city during that period. There were about 13 to 14 ships throughout the 1700s that arrived from the senegambia region carrying 500 to 600 slaves each, that's anywhere from 6,500 to 8400 blacks in the city before the big 1809 immigration. Now again, as far as the 'transfroming' aspect of the native slave populace you have to know these people were highly skilled farmers and craftsmen without those slaves from the senegambia region we might not be talking about a city of new orleans or haitian immigration right now. The French were inexperienced with the landscape of new orleans, slaves from the senegambia thrived on the bank and opened the door for the area to boom with new possibilities. The slaves from the senegambia brought the rice cultivation, introduced beans, okra, vodou and the type of foundational building that made it feasible to live by the river.

Also, new orleans is BIG on gris gris in vodou, the parallels between how amulets are used today in the senegambia region and gris gris bags in new orleans basically just reinforces how influential those who arrived in the 1700s were.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Maybe it is just me, but whenever I see a place that voodoo is practiced; then I think of the Fon people out of the Kingdom of Dahomey. They originated in Togo and spread to modern day Benin after conquering the Yoruba people in modern day Benin. The Kingdom of Dahomey of course was built upon slave raiding and trading to the Europeans. The Europeans armed the Kingdom of Dahomey and Dahomey sacked the Yoruba people of modern day Benin and Nigeria; which is part of the reason (Hausa-Fulani wars being the other) why so many Yoruba people ended up in the transatlantic slave trade. The Fon people were definitely taken to Haiti in the slave trade.

FON PEOPLE: BENIN`S EMPIRE BUILDERS OF THE PAST KINGDOM OF DAHOMEY AND AN UNREPENTANT PRACTITIONERS OF VOODOO RELIGION

It is interest too that the Dahomey women soldiers are the ones that we refer to as Amazon women.

History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

Last edited:

Fox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
PHARAOH & THEM
The word Voodoo in new orleans is an all encompassing term for various african spiritual practices, as noted the most revered voduist the city had ever known the "father of new orleans voodoo" who the queen of new orleans voodoo "marie laveau" studied under was a bambara man.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
You sure about that? :sas1:

Before you answer remember that i was born and raised in Haiti. Been to a vodou ceremony in Haiti. 2 of my neighbors were well known hougans and manbos.

So let's try this again :sas2:

Last edited:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Great thread. Always wondered about the connection between Haiti and Louisiana. It's interesting that the French colonists wanted to keep the Anglos at bay, which is included not only being cool with white and black Haitians arriving but "recruiting" Nova Scotians who became the Cajuns/Acadians of Louisiana.

Daps
Another dude that doesn't seem to realize that most Black people from the North have families that immigrated from the South.

not shyt Sherlock but what does that have to do with this Bobby Smurda speaking on Louisiana history as authority and disputing reputable sources which go against the grain of his obvious bias against Haitians:comeon:

Daps
Sources? Epecially for boilded????

I'm part Haitian and it seems you're Haitianizing New Orleanian history
it's in there...go back and read the history lesson on Haitian/Louisiana relations i posted...you must be a self loathing Haitain pandering to AA c00ns whom look down on you:scust:it's no secret the great affectHaitian immigration had on black New Olreans:comeon:

Last edited: