Henry Cavill as Superman might be the biggest waste of potential in comic book movie history

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I actually enjoyed Man of Steel and do agree.

I think a Death of Superman arc somewhere between that time and now would've been incredible.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Peoples complaint with Superman will always be he's not christophers reeves enough.
(this what they mean when they say he doesn't smile enough, or that henry was too stoic or serious)

But a lot of people don't want that. (or they only think they do) Reeves version belongs in the 70s, Just like the Adam West version of batman belongs in the 60s.

Henry Cavil was the best modern approach we've seen to date. and they could have built a solid franchise around him if they didn't listen to the vocal internet voice asking them to make a product that will ultimately go over less well.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Superman is already all powerful. I like that idea of him having interpersonal flaws to compliment that.
Gives the writers more range to work with. Instead of all his opponents being weaker and resorting to kryptonite, or conversely making them more and more powerful, (ie dragon ball z) You can have him deal with different challenges, uncertainty, doubt, mistrust, public perception etc
Can't do that if he is just a perfectly nice guy who gets along with everyone, and is loved by everybody

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:russ:The blueprint for a modern Supes is at Marvel lol.
captain-america-what-do-you-want.gif

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
Notice all his solo films were more serious in tone than something like guardians though.
Winter Soldier, Civil War, First Avenger all toned down the comedy and goofyness.
Dude wasn't smiling at everybody. he was looking at them like this
intro-1648154395.jpg
Evans played the boy scout role, while still having a serious edge perfectly. Something that Cavill couldn’t do.

Chef

All Star
Daps
I don’t think Cavill was the issue, I think it was more of the director. Man of Steel was a good point for the character to grow into that traditional Supes but they cannibalized his character arc to make shytty crossover films.

Also him being a nerd is a positive, I'm sure him being attached to passion projects like Witcher and 40K will bring fans of either him or their properties to watch. I’m very interested to see what they’re going to do with 40k Amazon show if he has any input in it.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think it's rare for an actor to look good in bad superhero films. The script is usually carrying superhero films and if the script is bad. Then the actor won't recover unless they looked good in previous films. Garfield clears Holland when talking about spiderman, but that doesn't matter because the actual film Holland was involved in were better.

I think most of the DCEU is cursed like how do you fumble Jesse Eisenberg Lex Luthor. I thought they were going to make him channel his Zuckerberg role in Social Media, but they ended up writing him as an overtop crazy villain

At the end of the day, Man of the Steel isn't a bad film and I stand by it's one of the better superhero films, but it does have its wtf moments that hurt it.