Hellraiser on Hulu || Discussion Thread (Out 10/7)

hatealot

Banned
Daps
Went into this with extremely low expectations due to how bad all the sequels after 2 were.
Felt like they didn't capture the darkness. Felt like it was a soft intro and they was holding back.

The Riley Character was annoying me, can't stand when they write characters that have issues and they always have outburst and never communicate wtf they feel and just run away. Like grow the fukk up.

The cenobites and the priestess was coo. None of em actually creeped me out. I give it a 7/10.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Just got done watching it. Thought it was decent, would be down to see a sequel. Thought there would have been more of Jamie's Pinhead.

Yeah gotta agree with @Lootpack about the protagonist.

Also I'm too use to the old style of cenobites.. where they look like they've been freshly mutilated. bodies in bdsm gear. The cenobites in this look like dried cadavers, which made them look stupid in the pre-release stills.

Outside of the 1st dude all of the people who got got by the box didn't even fukk with it :dahell:
Didn't really care for that change.. but I guess they had to do it with the whole multiple configuration thing. But the multiple config was already a thing.

NeoSeeker

GOAT human
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The movie was fine. If I saw it in the theater I wouldn't have hated it but 2022 has been packed with so many great movies that this probably won't be too memorable.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Visually stunning. I like da new look of da Cenobites. Although, this was nowhere near as graphic or hard-core as da OG's (1-3). Good lil' watch. Wasn't good nor bad. Atmospheric feel just like Night House.

I hope da HBO Max series is better and explores more of da lore.

Yea I really liked it....I liked how they polished it up....I love how gritty the first and second OG were...but this is a remix....who wants a carbon copy?

The storyline was good. I loved how they actually broke down what the deal was with Pandora's box...the cenobites....all of it. It was easy to follow and opens the door for a WILD sequel IMO. I'd be really interested to see them venture into hell in the sequel and turn it up. Like how Stranger things did

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm late but just finished this.

I liked the cenobites, the box, the lore....basically everything as far as all that.

Wasn't mad at the lore update/changing how the box works because there's very little info on that in "The Hellbound Heart" or "Weaveworld", which is the only two books any of this is mentioned in.

We'll ignore "The Scarlet Gospels" because Clive Barker was well past his artistic prime at that point. :whoa:

Anyway, the 1987 movie is more or less an exact retelling of "The Hellbound Heart". This was a nice reboot as far as....basically everything "Hellraiser" related....

Unfortunately though, the movie had humans in it.:francis:

The writing was pretty damn bad for everything else and all the characters (except Riley, who I actually liked a lot) were just kinda....there.

Not to mention, despite the detailed mythology they created (sacrifices, work through the configurations, get a "prize", etc.) people were accidentally getting cut by the box entirely too much. The cenobites aside, Riley and her friends were wild reckless with how they handled something that randomly has knives coming out of it. :gucci:

Also Voight had a whole Atari 2600 coming out of his chest. I liked the idea behind what they did to him but the execution was just....weird.

I did like the end with Riley choosing "lament" and Voight becoming a cenobite. That was dope as fukk.

Anyway, I would check a sequel to this and that's good enough for me. :manny:

Fred.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Another movie where a white woman gets to ruin everyone's life with her simple mind and pitiful decisions and then find viewer redemption by blaming it on her piece of s*** boyfriend. She should have been right alongside the main villain on that rebirth table being reconfigured.

I wish they had shown the brother and the homegirl getting turned into monsters. I wasn't mad I watch this but I felt like there were some elements that could have been done a little better. I didn't mind the new pinhead. The gadget on Buddy's chest would definitely motivate someone to sacrifice a bunch of people. Poor idiot just didn't realize that once you're in you ain't getting out

6 out of 10