HBCU's vs. PWI's

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
I'm going to be transferring to a 4 year soon and I just wanted to know the positives and negatives of each.

Are HBCU's (Historically Black Colleges/Universities) like high school?

Do PWI's (Predominantly White Institutions) feel segregated or unwelcoming as a black person.

:ohhh:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
I'd say unless you're really strong academically go with whatever place is offering more money/leaving you with less debt.
Paying 40K for an HBCU or PWI is not the new wave.
As long as you network intern etc it probably won't make THAT big of a difference.
I personally went to an HBCU before finishing at a PWI and going to professional school at a PWI :manny:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
its your choice but if you go to a top tier HBCU you're still getting a good education. met my best friends there i'll keep for life, had good teachers you could build a relationship with, and wasnt just student #124223

you'll leave an hbcu with a great experience and prepared for life if you go to the right one

msims

Bmore nicca
Daps
I'd say unless you're really strong academically go with whatever place is offering more money/leaving you with less debt.
As long as you network intern etc it probably won't make THAT big of a difference.
I personally went to an HBCU before finishing at a PWI and going to professional school at a PWI :manny:

That is the biggest question.

Which one is cheaper?

As far as comparing HBCU's with PWI's....HBCU's are more fun, but that's not why you're going to college.:birdman:

Go to the PWI, and prosper, breh.

its your choice but if you go to a top tier HBCU you're still getting a good education. met my best friends there i'll keep for life, had good teachers you could build a relationship with, and wasnt just student #124223

you'll leave an hbcu with a great experience and prepared for life if you go to the right one

Which one do you have your eye on? It's hard to find a good HBCU.

Morgan University :scusthov:

Howard University :ehh:

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA

That's the key for me, I wanna eventually go to grad school so not accumalting so much debt in undergrad will help

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
That is the biggest question.

Which one is cheaper?

As far as comparing HBCU's with PWI's....HBCU's are more fun, but that's not why you're going to college.:birdman:

Go to the PWI, and prosper, breh.

Which one do you have your eye on? It's hard to find a good HBCU.

Morgan University :scusthov:

Howard University :ehh:
:ehh:Howard would be the ideal target for me out of HBCU's

msims

Bmore nicca
Daps
:ehh:Howard would be the ideal target for me out of HBCU's

Considering you're trying to save money, why not hit a Community College up for 2 years, transfer to a Morgan University-type HBCU (they are cheap), and then hit up a top tier college after you get your B.A. for Graduate school?

You'd save the most money this way, and you wouldn't miss a beat as long as you stayed focus and finished Grad school. :ehh:

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
Considering you're trying to save money, why not hit a Community College up for 2 years, transfer to a Morgan University-type HBCU (they are cheap), and then hit up a top tier college after you get your B.A. for Graduate school?

You'd save the most money this way, and you wouldn't miss a beat as long as you stayed focus and finished Grad school. :ehh:
Yeah I'm at a CC right now with a 3.5 gpa looking to transfer after next yr

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
hbcus is jus like high school..

jus off what happen with me...n my kinfolks...

i ended up at u of oregon.. and i was the hardhead of the family

n the rest of my cousins was told to goto wiley, tsu, spelman, philander smith n paine..all because their parents went to those..

2 of em dropped out...the other 3 ended up transferring up to oregon with me..3 that came said they should have went to a d1 school when they had that chance..

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
As an HBCU attendee, I will have to say HBCU, but a top one in the MEAC or Morehouse preferably.

Key points:
- White people aren't as hyped up as c00ns/black people make them out to be. They are not these mythical creatures that you have to have special powers to get along with as much as black people would like to believe. One of my current co-workers who went to a pwi is always coming to me for advice on how to deal with CACs at work because I'm much better at playin that role event though I went to a black school. Like a secret agent. If you're a friendly person, youll be able to be around white/Asian/etc. no problems.

- Networking and Connections. You will get job and connections from other people who will hook you up with jobs just off the strength of you going to an HBCU. At a pwi you will be near the bottom of a list after all the white people. I have so many friends who's parents are millionaires, execs, CEOs, business owners, here and internationally. It's great.

- Culture: Truth is, black people are afraid to learn more about black people if presented with the opportunity to learn about white people. I never met any black person who went to an HBCU who didn't learn more about blackness/black people in the process of attending an HBCU

- Black Women: Even nerds and lanes can manage to find even one broad to wife up/place on long-term buddy status. Plus, most black women at HBCUs know how to act, which is why I spend a lot of time laughing at the problems/complaints many cats on here have with black women.

- Education: education at a HBCU is so holistic in its nature. It not only involves learning from a book, but encourages political activism, awareness, purpose, and community services. In my experience, black people at PWIs lack a lot of these things.

- Homecomings: We party hard and it's fun too

- The Experience: I'll put it like this: If you go to a PWI for grad school, as a black person, it will be the same as the undergrad experience. There is NO experience like the undergrad HBCU experience and you'll never get it anywhere else.

- Jobs/Internships: Companies straight up recruit from HBCUs first, and then they go to PWI for the straggling blacks (unless you're ivy league). I've always had an internship with a top company (so have my friends) and internship/job offers that I've turned down. Im just a little over a 3.0 (barely) but I have a lot of leadership experience. They are looking for that, and an HBCU gives you a better chance at that opportunity/experience.

I could go on for hours breh breh :smugfavre:
hbcus is jus like high school..
jus off what happen with me...n my kinfolks...
i ended up at u of oregon.. and i was the hardhead of the family
n the rest of my cousins was told to goto wiley, tsu, spelman, philander smith n paine..all because their parents went to those..
2 of em dropped out...the other 3 ended up transferring up to oregon with me..3 that came said they should have went to a d1 school when they had that chance..
Besides Spelman, everyone knows those other schools suck.

Daps
Reppin
MD
As an HBCU attendee, I will have to say HBCU, but a top one in the MEAC or Morehouse preferably.

Key points:
- White people aren't as hyped up as c00ns/black people make them out to be. They are not these mythical creatures that you have to have special powers to get along with as much as black people would like to believe. One of my current co-workers who went to a pwi is always coming to me for advice on how to deal with CACs at work because I'm much better at playin that role event though I went to a black school. Like a secret agent. If you're a friendly person, youll be able to be around white/Asian/etc. no problems.

- Networking and Connections. You will get job and connections from other people who will hook you up with jobs just off the strength of you going to an HBCU. At a pwi you will be near the bottom of a list after all the white people. I have so many friends who's parents are millionaires, execs, CEOs, business owners, here and internationally. It's great.

- Culture: Truth is, black people are afraid to learn more about black people if presented with the opportunity to learn about white people. I never met any black person who went to an HBCU who didn't learn more about blackness/black people in the process of attending an HBCU

- Black Women: Even nerds and lanes can manage to find even one broad to wife up/place on long-term buddy status. Plus, most black women at HBCUs know how to act, which is why I spend a lot of time laughing at the problems/complaints many cats on here have with black women.

- Education: education at a HBCU is so holistic in its nature. It not only involves learning from a book, but encourages political activism, awareness, purpose, and community services. In my experience, black people at PWIs lack a lot of these things.

- The Experience: I'll put it like this: If you go to a PWI for grad school, as a black person, it will be the same as the undergrad experience. There is NO experience like the undergrad HBCU experience and you'll never get it anywhere else.

- Jobs/Internships: Companies straight up recruit from HBCUs first, and then they go to PWI for the straggling blacks (unless you're ivy league). I've always had an internship with a top company (so have my friends) and internship/job offers that I've turned down. Im just a little over a 3.0 (barely) but I have a lot of leadership experience. They are looking for that, and an HBCU gives you a better chance at that opportunity/experience.

This is nothing but the truth.

Hampton University
2 more semesters left until I graduate.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA

Key points:

Appreciate all the info

That's another factor I gotta consider because I know they got some bad black women on these HBCU campuses.:wow:

Plus the female to male ratio is heavily in black men's favor:mj:

Some HBCU's be having 7 females for every male so you know you gonna be:eat: