HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
elizabeth-alexander.jpg

Elizabeth Alexander—poet, educator, memoirist, scholar, and cultural advocate—is president of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the nation’s largest funder in arts and culture, and humanities in higher education.
===================================================

Mellon Foundation to Give $1.76 Million in Emergency Grants to 16 HBCUs
May 13, 2020

To stabilize enrollments and help students during the COVID-19 pandemic, 16 historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) will receive a total of $1.76 million in emergency grants from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

The foundation said in a statement that the HBCUs will receive $110,000 each in such grants. The 16 HBCU recipients are Claflin University; Clark Atlanta University; Dillard University; Fisk University; Hampton University; Howard University; Johnson C. Smith University; Lincoln University; Morehouse College; Morgan State University; North Carolina A&T State University; Prairie View A&M University; Spelman College; Tougaloo College; Winston-Salem State University; and Xavier University of Louisiana.

Lincoln University president Brenda Allen said such grants can make a huge difference in this time when college campuses are closed.

“For every $1,000 we can offer a student in grant aid we increase the likelihood that they will graduate by about 20 percent,” said Allen in the statement.

The foundation said HBCUs had already faced chronic funding challenges before the pandemic.

“The COVID-19 epidemic has increased these challenges, which are affecting students’ ability to pay tuition, travel to and from school, and access the internet, thereby jeopardizing their continuous enrollment,” said the foundation in the statement.

Mellon Foundation president Elizabeth Alexander said HBCUs are an integral part of the country’s higher education landscape.

“As the COVID-19 pandemic disproportionately affects underresourced institutions and communities of color, the Mellon Foundation is proud to provide focused support for students attending these vital historically Black schools.”

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Mrs-Harvey.jpg

Hampton University President and wife donate give big donation to students with COVID-19 related needs
Dr. and Mrs. Harvey Donate $100,000 in efforts to accommodate students traveling arrangements.

May 18, 2020
HAMPTON, Va. – Dr. and Mrs. William R. Harvey are doing their part to assist Hampton University students during these unprecedented times by making a donation of $100,000 to their “Home by the Sea” to provide financial relief to individual students who have needs related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hampton‘s first couple is no stranger to giving and giving back to the university they have led for 42 years. This latest gift matches the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s gift of $100,000 to the University in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hampton University will use the $200,000 to provide each on-campus student $100 to assist with travel costs to retrieve their belongings or return to school in the fall.

“The financial impact that the coronavirus pandemic is having on our Hampton students causes me great concern. Mrs. Harvey and I wanted to personally be of help to the students during this unprecedented situation. It is truly important for us to be supportive during the greatest health and economic crisis in our lifetime,” said Hampton University President, Dr. William R. Harvey.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Oprah Winfrey donates $2 million to HBCU Tennessee State and its surrounding community
Donation is among many efforts to offset COVID-19 impact on HBCU students

May 20, 2020

The Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundation announced this week the newest grant recipients of Oprah Winfrey’s now $12 million COVID-19 Relief Fund, which is being doled out to several different organizations in five different cities.

The connective tissue of those cities is that they are all in places that shaped Winfrey — Baltimore; Chicago; Milwaukee; Kosciusko, Mississippi; and Nashville, Tennessee, where she attended Tennessee State University, a historically black college. Those also are cities that have largely African American populations, a community that Winfrey notes has been disproportionately hit by COVID-19.

Of note is Winfrey’s sizable $2 million contribution to the Tennessee State initiative, which services the school and the surrounding community.

Once Winfrey decided she wanted to get involved, she reached out to Tennessee State president Glenda Glover and connected with Bishop Joseph Walker to launch NashvilleNurtures, a collaboration between Mount Zion Baptist Church and Tennessee State, to provide meals to more than 10,000 families in Nashville.

“I see this as an offering. I see this as a part of my tithe, my personal spiritual tithing from the inside out. And serving where I come from. That’s the first thing you do. You take care of home first, take care of your own personal communities,” said Winfrey.

Winfrey’s history with historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) dates back more than 30 years ago when she attended Tennessee State on a full scholarship and majored in communications. She fell just one credit short of graduating and instead decided to take her first job co-anchoring a TV show in Baltimore. Though she left Tennessee State in the early 1970s, she returned in 1986 to turn in her final paper to graduate.

Her philanthropy for HBCUs continued when she pledged $12 million to Morehouse College in 1989. Last year, she was surprised to learn it had been 30 years since her initial donation, so she decided to donate another $13 million to Morehouse. That came one week after giving $1 million to the United Negro College Fund.

“This time has shown itself to us so that we can look inside of ourselves and ask ourselves the question, ‘What is the essential work, what is the essential service I need to offer my community?’ ” said Winfrey. “So when I asked that of myself, not just in a graduation speech to kids, how can I better use who I am and what I have to serve in a way that I have not in the past.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Baker1380.jpg

Frank Baker of Siris and Laura Day Baker to Pay Remaining Tuition for Nearly 50 Spelman College Seniors
Spelman_College_Logo.jpg

News provided by

Spelman College
May 21, 2020,11:44 ET

ATLANTA, May 21, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Frank Baker, founder and managing partner of Siris, a leading private equity firm focused on investing and driving value creation in technology and telecommunications companies, and his wife, Laura Day Baker, an interior designer and philanthropist focused on empowering historically underserved communities, today announced a $1 million gift toward the establishment of a scholarship for Spelman College graduates.

Initially, the scholarship will pay for the existing spring tuition balances of nearly 50 members of Spelman's 2020 graduating class. Thereafter, the scholarships will provide support to ensure that future high achieving graduating seniors have the financial resources to graduate.

"We are all aware of the headwinds that people of color - especially women - face in our country, the challenges of which are made even more apparent by the economic and health impact of the COVID-19 pandemic," said Frank and Laura Day Baker. "We believe it is critical that talented women finish college and confidently enter – free of undue financial stress – the initial stage of their professional careers. We hope that this gift will help lessen their financial burden as they start this promising next chapter in their lives and encourage them to persevere over life's challenges."

The gift comes on the heels of Spelman's end-of-the-year celebration and virtual Senior Salute designed to celebrate the 480 graduates of the 2020 graduating class.

"Our graduates are taking their first steps into adulthood during uncertain times, which makes a gift intended to give them a better chance to build a financial foundation even more important," said Mary Schmidt Campbell, Ph.D., president of Spelman. "We are extremely grateful to Frank and Laura, who have given our talented graduates a gift that will serve them well as they launch their professional careers and transition into graduate school experiences."

Graduate Gabrielle Sumpter, C'2020, was one of the first students to receive news that she would be a recipient of the new scholarship.

"To know that my remaining balance has been lifted off of me means so much," said Sumpter, who will start her career in New York this fall as an analyst for the global technology giant Accenture. "This is a testament to what it means to give back. My mom is a Spelman alumna and we continue to talk about the ways we can give back to Spelman…it means a lot that someone was willing to pour into me – not even really knowing me personally, but knowing that I am coming from an institution that believes in me and they want to believe in me as well. I don't think people realize just how much of an impact this will have on my future.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

https://www.pvamu.edu
PVAMU alumnus donates $300,000, creates Tommie Walton Scholarship

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (April 17, 2020) – Tracking Tommie Walton’s life, it seemed fated that he would bestow a kindness, not just to Prairie View, but to all of the students that walk through the university’s grounds.

Tommie Walton ’53

“Tommie always loved Prairie View,” Tommy Clay said of his departed cousin, Tommie Walton. Mr. Walton loved Prairie View A&M University so much in fact, that he left his alma mater $300,000 from his estate when he died in March of 2019, a few months shy of his 90th birthday. This January, that gift became a scholarship named in his honor.

“Estate Gifts like Tommie Walton’s are an opportunity for people to leave a legacy and to make a lasting impact,” said Ruth J. Simmons, President of PVAMU.

In Mr. Walton’s case, a scholarship in his name is a lasting reminder of his generous nature.

“Tommie grew up very poor, and he struggled all of his life to achieve his status in life. He worked as a shoeshine boy and at the baseball park. He pretty much put himself through school,” Mr. Clay said. “He just wanted to give back to the youth to help them further their education at Prairie View. He wanted to make sure a scholarship was set up in his name to give kids an opportunity.”

A graduate of industrial education in the class of 1953, Prairie View served as Mr. Walton’s first steps into adulthood and a life of service as: an Army Major who served in the Korean War; someone who worked for NASA (he assisted the secret service, and the FBI when presidents visited NASA); and an active parishioner at Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church.

“Tommie was a person who really stepped up when they called upon him, and sometimes they didn’t have to call upon him, he just provided services.”

Mr. Walton’s Estate Gift is now the Tommie Walton Endowed Scholarship, open to any students in good academic standing with financial need.

“Gifts like Mr. Walton’s, are remarkable,” said Carme Williams, Vice President of Development at PVAMU. “That level of generosity and forethought enables Prairie View to provide opportunities to students who have the talent but not the means to continue their education. Many people don’t realize that they can leave an Estate Gift to Prairie View by listing the university in their will and then notifying the Prairie View University Office of Development. Estate Gifts are one way that alumni and friends of Prairie View can give back to the next generation of students even if they won’t get to see the fruits of their kindness.”

Mr. Walton’s influence on the world dates back before his donation. His cousin recalls the impact he had on him. “When I first met Tommie, I was a young man…I was maybe about 12, and he came to visit my father, and when he came, he was in his military uniform,” Mr. Clay said. “You have to understand that for a young black boy, seeing a black man in this officer’s uniform, it left an impression on me. He would tell me stories of his adventures. When I moved to Houston, I was even more impressed with his status-especially working with famous astronauts and rubbing shoulders with notable people here in Houston and him being a man of color.”

Kindness and contribution were at the core of Mr. Walton. Mr. Clay believes the Tommie Walton Scholarship is an opportunity for its recipients to both experience generosity and to be generous themselves, “[This scholarship is] a call to students to better themselves and look out for the next person who comes behind them. Don’t be selfish because you made it; give back.”

Arinam

Pro
Daps
Reppin
AZ, DMV
if you went to Howard you wouldn't give back either

Going to Howard is one of my biggest regrets and ill never donate to them
Loved the student's but the administration and the scandals there can eat a dikk

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
There's a lot of criticism of the Boule here. The actual Boule, and the wealthy Black folks that people give that tag too.

Despite the criticism of what that class doesn't do, a lot of these updates of the thread have been Boule adjacent people. Well, this time it's coming straight from the horse's mouth saddlebag filled with cash.

========================================================

natural_grocers_jack_and_jill_members_supporters.jpg

Jack & Jill and Natural Grocers Help Eliminate Student Debt at 2 HBCUs

Funds will go directly to students of Prairie View A&M University and Huston-Tillotson University

-
Jun 4, 2020
WASHINGTON, DC – The Jack and Jill Foundation received a $133,000 donation from Natural Grocers to help eliminate debt for students at Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas and Huston-Tillotson University in Austin, TX as part of the Jack and Jill College Graduate Assistance Program (JJ College GAP). This initiative, in its inaugural year, was created with a singular, long-term goal of distributing $2M over the next ten years to students at historically black colleges and universities facing financial hardship.

“We are grateful for this partnership with Natural Grocers and the Jack and Jill Foundation to provide students with the opportunity to eliminate debt and graduate without the worry of how they will complete their college education,” said Danielle Brown, National President, Jack, and Jill of America, Inc. “With so many lives impacted by this global pandemic, financial assistance is more critical than ever. We remain committed to supporting HBCUs now and in the future.”

student-20-1-1024x768.jpg

Each year, small unpaid bills force college students across the country off their campuses with high student loan debt but, without a degree. JJ College GAP seeks to address this disparity by taking immediate action with an alternative approach and a simple prerequisite. Eligible students are only required to complete their classes, and their remaining balance will be paid in full.

“Advancing the education of young people is core to the mission of Jack and Jill,” said Charles W. Noble III, President, Jack and Jill Foundation. “As we seek to transform African American communities, our young people deserve the opportunity to excel beyond their greatest potential – without financial barriers. Thank you, Natural Grocers and Isely Family, for your deep commitment to the community.”

Natural Grocers is the first corporate partner of JJ College GAP. Funds were raised through an innovative collaboration of corporate funds and generous, in-store donations from customers, which exceeded the expected goal. Natural Grocers has committed to supporting this initiative annually by providing on-going, sales-based giveback programs in select markets. Jack and Jill of America, Inc. and its members will continue to support Natural Grocers’ stores across the country.

“We are thrilled our founding principle, “Commitment to Communities” has led us to this memorable partnership with Jack and Jill of America,” said Kemper Isely, Natural Grocers’ Co-President. “We can think of no better way to honor that commitment than to see the funds we donated directly impacting young people in our communities by making sure they can graduate college.”

Join the Jack and Jill Foundation and Natural Grocers in closing the financial gap and making college degrees possible for HBCU students, today. CLICK HERE, to donate or text, “CloseTheGap” to 44321.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
There's a lot of criticism of the Boule here. The actual Boule, and the wealthy Black folks that people give that tag too.

Despite the criticism of what that class doesn't do, a lot of these updates of the thread have been Boule adjacent people. Well, this time it's coming straight from the horse's mouth saddleback filled with cash.

Good thread.

I've asked posters numerous times, those of whom believe that the black leadership class are not useful enough to black people, what exactly is it that they want?

After detailing all the things that the leadership class has their hands in (or giving hand outs), from education, health & wellness, mentorship, business & economics, etc., no one can give me any specifics about what they want.

I think most of these folks will not be satisfied until they receive cash in hand. They want the "boule" to pay them. That is the only way they could be useful in their eyes.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Good thread.

I've asked posters numerous times, those of whom believe that the black leadership class are not useful enough to black people, what exactly is it that they want?

After detailing all the things that the leadership class has their hands in (or giving hand outs), from education, health & wellness, mentorship, business & economics, etc., no one can give me any specifics about what they want.

I think most of these folks will not be satisfied until they receive cash in hand. They want the "boule" to pay them. That is the only way they could be useful in their eyes.
Good thread.

Truth. I've got a LOT to say about this topic. That's for another day, but what you wrote here applies to a lot of people and scenarios.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I will never understand shaming alumni for not donating when you already paid racks in tuition. I understand if you got a scholarship that you might want to show some appreciation, otherwise :camby:
That’s how higher education has worked in the US for generations.

The funding model has continually been cut by state and federal governments.

it’s community reinvestment.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance offers relief grants to students in honor of restaurateur
June 22,2020
Atlanta resturant owner dies from COVID-19

Family says Mike Murrell had no underlying conditions.

ATLANTA - The beloved owner of Murrell's Café, an HBCU alumni who died this past April from COVID-19 is being honored through the establishment of new relief grants for Atlanta’s HBCU students.

Mike Murrell, who old owned Murrell's Cafe, formerly on the campuses of Morris Brown College and Interdenominational Theological Center, was admitted to the hospital and March. Despite having no known underlying conditions, he died after a 32-day battle with the illness.

The 65-year-old Atlanta restaurateur and HBCU alumni is now being honored by the Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance, an organization he supported faithfully for many years.

F9E02B368F194824927B6872C4CACE1A-e1588201667206.jpg

Mike Murrell leaves behind a legacy of great food and giving to others (Photo: Murrell family/FOX 5 Atlanta).

The organization is offering relief grants to students to help offset costs created by the coronavirus pandemic and the unexpected closing of campuses.

“Mike was always a huge supporter of HBCUs, and an even bigger supporter of students who attended HBCUs so providing this grant in his name to assist students impacted by COVID-19 is the least we could do to honor his memory and service to HBCUs,” said Daniel Ford, President of the Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance

102895327_3113157965414315_1555072820465740164_n.jpg

A flyer for the Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance named in honor of restaurant owner Mike Murrell. (Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance)

Students who attend an HBCU supported by the alliance can apply for a grant, being paid in $250 increments upon confirmation of enrollment for the 2020 fall semester.

The alliance also announced it’s annual summer 5K fundraiser has been augmented into a virtual race. It will take place between June 26 and July 3. The HBCU Alumni Alliance said the 5K has helped to raise more than $1.4 million for scholarships to aid metro Atlanta students.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-08-at-11.34.53-AM.png

A photo from the Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance summer 5K held in 2019. (Atlanta HBCU Alumni Alliance

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

==================================================
Billionaire Robert F. Smith Launches New Initiative to Ease Student Debt at Historically Black Colleges
TIME100 Talks with Founder, Chairman and CEO, Vista Equity Partners Robert F. Smith

June 23, 2020

Robert F. Smith—the billionaire who pledged during a commencement speech last year to pay off the student debt of the Morehouse College class of 2019—is launching a new initiative to help ease the burden of student loans at historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs).

The Student Freedom Initiative, a nonprofit, is aimed at addressing the disproportionate loan burden on Black students and creating more choices for students whose career options or further educational opportunities might be limited by heavy student debt.

“You think about these students graduating and then plowing so much of their wealth opportunity into supporting this student debt, that’s a travesty in and of itself,” Smith, chairman and CEO of Vista Equity Partners, said Tuesday during a TIME100 Talks discussion with Editor-in-Chief Edward Felsenthal.

Smith—the wealthiest Black man in the United States, according to Forbes—donated $34 million last year that covered the student debt of about 400 Morehouse graduates, including the educational debt incurred by their families. He says his new initiative is an effort to create a more sustainable model for thousands more students.

“I think it’s important that we do these things at scale and en masse because that’s how you lift up entire communities,” he says. “Of course, we all like the great one story, but I want thousands of these stories. And I want thousands of Robert Smiths out there who are actually looking to do some things in fields that are exciting to them and are giving back.”

The Student Freedom Initiative will launch in Fall 2021 at up to 11 HBCUs, offering juniors and seniors who are science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) majors a flexible, lower-risk alternative to high-interest private student loans. The list of HBCUs participating in the initial rollout has not been finalized.

The initiative, which aims to include 5,000 new students each year, is launching with a $50 million grant from Fund II Foundation, a charitable organization of which Smith is founding director and president, and has set a goal of raising at least $500 million by October to make the program “self-sustaining” through investments and graduates’ income-based repayments. The program’s partners include Michael Lomax, CEO of the United Negro College Fund; Henry Louis Gates Jr., director of the Hutchins Center for African and African-American Research at Harvard; the Jain Family Institute and the Education Finance Institute.

The student debt crisis has disproportionately affected Black students, who owe, on average, $7,400 more than their white peers after graduating with a bachelor’s degree, according to the Brookings Institution. That difference worsens over time, in part because of the racial wealth gap.

In addition, HBCUs generally have smaller endowments than other universities, hindering their ability to offer significant financial aid. And students who attend HBCUs borrow loans at higher rates and graduate with higher debt than students at non-HBCUs, according to a 2016 report by the United Negro College Fund.

But HBCUs remain an important professional pipeline. While African Americans are underrepresented in STEM fields, HBCUs, which represent 3% of colleges, are responsible for graduating 27% of Black students with STEM bachelor’s degrees, according to the U.S. Education Department.

Ultimately, Smith hopes to expand the Student Freedom Initiative to reach the more than 100 HBCUs in the U.S., as well as other minority-serving institutions.

“We can graduate all STEM students from HBCUs in essence forever under this program. It becomes self-sustaining,” Smith says. “They support the next generation of students, and it gives them flexibility to actually drive back some of what I call their intellectual property—what they’ve learned in college and business—back into the communities in ways that matter.”

The program is not intended to replace all student loans or erase existing debt from students’ freshman or sophomore years, but is meant to provide an alternative to high-interest, fixed-payment private loans and Parent PLUS loans, which are unsubsidized federal loans with higher interest rates and fees. HBCU students are more likely than non-HBCU students to take out federal student loans and then turn to Parent PLUS loans and private loans for additional funding, according to the United Negro College Fund report.

The Student Freedom Initiative aims to prevent that and expects to offer about $32,000, on average, to each student across their junior and senior years, which they will be required to pay back based on their income after graduation.

“It is a specific, actionable platform. It’s not going to solve all the world’s problems,” says Fred Goldberg, former Internal Revenue Service commissioner and an attorney at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom who is outside counsel for the Student Freedom Initiative. “It’s an opportunity to do something now that matters now, with the potential to transform both these institutions and generations of young African American men and women.”

Goldberg says the initiative will provide a better option to students who might consider dropping out when faced with taking on more high-interest debt to complete their degree. And he’s hoping it will give students of color more freedom to choose a career without worrying about their salary or to take time off to care for a family member without worrying about making loan payments.

“It lets folks make life choices,” he says. “If a kid wants to switch careers, if a kid wants to go from a high-paid job in industry to an entrepreneurial tech startup, or if he wants to go teach science in an inner-city school, income-contingent payments are what let the student do that because they’re not saddled with fixed-payment, high-cost loans.”

Goldberg says the Student Freedom Initiative will offer students a lower interest rate than the Parent PLUS rate, which is currently 7.08%, and will require students to make payments based on their income for up to 20 years after graduation.

“Your legal obligation is to pay a portion of your income. If you have no income, your legal obligation is to pay zero,” he says.

“A piece of this, of course, is pay it back. Any student who does this by making these payments that are income-contingent, which liberates them, is helping future generations,” he added. “Nobody’s tried this before, certainly not at scale.”

Smith’s announcement comes amid a reckoning over systemic racism in the United States. In the wake of widespread protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, companies and business leaders have faced demands to take more meaningful action.

“We have systemic issues that are caused by systemic racism that need to be deconstructed,” Smith says, calling on corporate executives to do more than offer “perfunctory” donations “that are a mere drop in the bucket.”

“It is incumbent upon me to do my part to educate, awaken and enable all those who want to participate … in this moment of inflection,” he says.