HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Memphis-based, HBCU Receives Largest Beneficial Endowment in the School’s 158-Year History
July 2, 2020
Lemoyne-owen-college-hbcu-960x640.jpeg

LeMoyne-Owen College, the only Historically Black College and University (HBCU) in Memphis, Tennessee, has been named the beneficiary of an endowment of $40 million, one of the largest gifts to any HBCU and the largest for the school in its 158-year history. The endowment was created from assets from the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis, an organization that works to strengthen the community through philanthropy.

Like other colleges across the country, LeMoyne-Owen College is working to ensure their students, many of whom are first-generation college attendees, return to school following the pandemic. Recent initiatives include partnerships to provide Wi-fi access and electronic devices to students for remote learning, emergency assistance for displaced students and scholarships for students in need.

“Even before the pandemic, there has been transformative work happening at LeMoyne-Owen College,” Bob Fockler, Community Foundation of Greater Memphis president says. “The college offers unique opportunities for African-American students, and we are committed to ensuring that work continues to benefit students and their families for years to come.”

The endowment fund is a major stepping stone on the path toward advancements in the quality education the College can provide for a larger number students, at a critical time when HBCUs nationally face unique funding challenges and equity issues. LeMoyne-Owen College has the lowest tuition rate of any of the private colleges in the state of Tennessee, nearly 90 percent of students qualify for financial aid or currently receive Federal Pell Grants.

“Many of our students and their families were already struggling, even before COVID-19. Recent demonstrations have heightened our awareness and commitment to do more to address the inequality and racism that has led to their financial challenges and the critical need to create a more equal and just world,” says Dr. Carol Johnson Dean, interim president of LeMoyne-Owen College. “The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis has generously and courageously helped LeMoyne-Owen College take a huge step forward in educating our future leaders and providing a stronger financial foundation from which to grow.”

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I always thought the giving back shyt was stupid. They charged me out the ass for everything from scantrons to take quizzes and tests instead of a blank piece of paper, to require lab time and shyt. I'm still paying back my student loans that paid you for all that and you want me to donate on top of that? I these college to be successful and all, but they already got plenty of money out their students already.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Bradley Beal surprises four RBHS students with HBCU scholarships, gifts for college

img_3568.jpg

Jul 03, 2020

Even during the COVID-19 pandemic, Bradley Beal found a way to connect with his little brothers at Ron Brown College Preparatory High School. Beal, of course, won the 2018-19 NBA Cares Community Assist Award for his work with RBHS, a school he has partnered with for two years now.

On Thursday afternoon, members of the Wizards organization and Ron Brown HS went around the D.C. area to give four graduating students gifts from Beal. Justin Williams, Christian Johnson, Jaden Crosson, and Hassan Brunner, who are all heading to historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs), each received a special gift box.

Beal’s gift included a college branded hoodie for each Young King’s future university, a Microsoft Surface and keyboard, Between the World and Me by Ta’Nehisi Coates, Radical Dreams Pins, a Wizards and Mystics Black Lives Matter shirt, and more Wizards branded items. Along with each gift box was a letter from Beal and the Wizards telling each student to be on a Zoom call at 4:30 P.M.

On that Zoom call later in the afternoon, Beal praised the students for their hard work en route to graduation.

“I’m speechless,” Beal said. “I’m beyond proud of you guys. For one, you’re the true pioneers of Ron Brown. You guys are the first wave of seniors. That will forever be legendary, a memory you could always hold.”

”I’m even more proud of you guys for going to colleges you all chose to go to – you decided to go to an HBCU. Especially in the time in which we are in now, I feel like those are statement pieces. It’s amazing to see what young, Black men were able to do with the opportunity you guys were given. I remember telling you guys time and time again, take advantage of every opportunity you’re given, no matter what it is in sports, school, teachers, mentoring, programs, whatever it may be. Whatever opportunity you have, seize it – because you don’t always get those moments. We know we’re born with these disadvantages. You guys had a great advantage already going to a school in Ron Brown, which prepares you for college.”

The students figured Beal would be on the call, but they didn’t know what else he had in store for them. Beal, using money from his Community Assist Award $25,000 fund from the NBA, granted $3,000 in scholarships to each of the four students.

Williams, the school’s valedictorian, will be heading to Norfolk State to study environmental engineering. He was especially overcome with emotion, as his journey to having the best grades in the senior class has not been easy.

“When I first came to school, I wasn’t really a school type of student, in the wrong crowd,” Williams reflected. “A lot of people don’t know, but my dad’s disabled. The one thing he told me – because he didn’t get to finish college because it happened at a young age – was to finish school. That was my goal, through mental struggles, physical struggles, family struggles, everything, that was the one thing that I had that I could say that I finished.”

Johnson will be attending Howard University to study finance and to play basketball. He’s been extremely close with Beal since their relationship started two years ago. Considering Beal took Johnson and 50 other students on a trip to Howard earlier in the year, the story has really come full circle.

Crosson will attend Hampton in the fall as a five-year MBA business student. He was with his mother and grandmother at his home when he received the gifts. Brunner, who will be headed to North Carolina Central to major in kinesiology, thought school faculty members were just stopping by to check in with him after graduating.

All of the Ron Brown students and staff mentioned how much they have appreciated Beal’s willingness to maintain their relationship.

“It means that he still cares,” Johnson said. “Even through the pandemic, he still shows up for us. I love it, I’m very excited to continue this relationship with him into college.”

Crosson’s mother, Vanya Brown, echoed Johnson’s sentiments: “We definitely appreciate it. He’s [Beal] been so engaged with them. He’s [Jaden] gotten a lot from everything that Mr. Bradley Beal has done for the school.”

After letting the students know about their scholarships, Beal finished the call with words of wisdoms for four of the seniors who have become like his little brothers.

“Now you’re in the real world,” Beal said. “These opportunities are going to be vast, they’re going to come at you from all angles. Seize them all, enjoy every moment of it. Continue to make yourselves proud, your families proud, and me proud. Please continue to grind, continue to be the best that you can possibly can

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
NCCU Athletics Launches $1 Million Giving Campaign
-
August 7, 2020

DURHAM, N.C. – The North Carolina Central University Department of Athletics launched the #NCCUStrongerTogether giving campaign on Thursday (Aug. 6), with the goal of raising $1 million to help offset the financial impact of the pandemic and assist with ensuring a championship experience for NCCU student-athletes.

The first phase of the yearlong campaign is a Virtual Homecoming Stadium Sellout, an initiative encouraging alumni and friends to invest what they would have spent on The NCCU Ultimate Homecoming festivities into the Department of Athletics. Each virtual stadium seat is $100 with the goal for this phase of the campaign to raise $750,000 before Oct. 31, the originally scheduled date of the homecoming football game before the suspension of fall sports. Phase one will conclude with a virtual homecoming experience on Oct. 31.

#NCCU Athletics Launches $1 Million #NCCUStrongerTogether Giving Campaign with Virtual Homecoming Stadium Sellout Initiative.
Details: This site is under development#EagleEra #EaglePride pic.twitter.com/WEHQMKSRKI

— NCCU Athletics (@NCCUAthletics) August 6, 2020

“I am thrilled to launch the #NCCUStrongerTogether fundraising campaign to support our Athletics program during this critical time in our society,” said NCCU Director of Athletics Dr. Ingrid Wicker McCree. “The decision to suspend fall sports will most certainly have an impact on our ability to provide financial resources to sustain operations, but we will always make the best decisions to ensure the health and safety of our student-athletes. This campaign will not only support our strategic priorities, but assists with the loss of revenue due to the pandemic.

“The first phase of the campaign, the Virtual Homecoming Stadium Sellout, will energize our fan base and encourage them to show support of our student-athletes and program.” McCree added. “We invite everyone to visit NCCUFanCentral.com to learn more about how you can participate and support our student-athletes.”

To secure a virtual stadium seat by making a donation to the #NCCUStrongerTogether giving campaign, text STRONGER to 243725 or visit NCCUFanCentral.com.

“Thanks to our development team for the hard work in orchestrating a plan to create this fun and engaging opportunity for our entire Athletics family,” said McCree.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
HBCUAnnouncement8.20.20_crop-1024x367.jpg

UF Law Announces HBCU Pathway to Law Endowed Scholarship

Yolanda-Jackson-Headshot-561x507-1.jpg

Yolanda Cash Jackson

August 24, 2020 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Becker, a multi-practice commercial law firm with attorneys, lobbyists, and other professionals at offices throughout the East Coast, announced that Management Committee Member and Government Relations Shareholder Yolanda Cash Jackson created The University of Florida Levin College of Law’s (UF Law) largest endowed scholarship fund.

Ms. Jackson, who received her J.D. from UF Law in 1990, had long envisioned a program designed to recruit the academically talented graduates from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to UF Law. With Ms. Jackson’s initial gift plus other alumni contributions in the Spring of 2020, the HBCU Pathway to Law fund quickly surpassed $100,000 in commitments.

As the country mourned the passing of civil rights icon John Lewis in July, Sarasota developer Hugh Culverhouse donated $1,000,000 to the new scholarship fund in Lewis’s memory.

The HBCU Pathway to Law fund will help UF Law enroll at least five HBCU graduates annually with full tuition scholarships. These students will be known as John Lewis Scholars and receive enhanced engagement opportunities with the UF Law Black Alumni network. UF Law will undertake a year-long campaign to match the Culverhouse gift and grow the fund to $2,000,000 before 2022.

Ms. Jackson said, “Hugh and I hope that our donations will motivate additional contributions from UF Law alumni, friends of the law school, law firms, bar associations, corporate entities and charitable foundations in honor of John Lewis and the strong traditions of America’s HBCUs.”

“My donation honors John Lewis’ commitment to fighting social injustice which began with lunch counter sit-ins and the original Freedom Rides. I’m hoping that the new John Lewis Scholars will use their legal education to continue his struggle for social justice,” explained Hugh Culverhouse.

Becker’s Government Relations team has represented HBCUs at the state and federal level for over ten years including successfully obtaining historical levels of funding for private Florida HBCUs during the past legislative session.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Cleveland Man Raises $80,700 for Historically Black Colleges

Aug. 14, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A Cleveland man is taking to Facebook to raise money for historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs), including two in Ohio.

What You Need To Know
  • Anthony Brown hosts a Facebook Live "HBCU Alumni House Party" on Wednesdays to fundraise

• Central State University in Ohio has raised the most money so far at $15,000

• The fundraiser runs until Dec. 31

"Hey, why not engage alumni through three basic things: advocacy, recruitment, and fundraising. So we said, 'Ok, fine, great, let's do it," said Anthony Brown.

Brown of Cleveland is the president of the National Alumni Council for the United Negro College Fund. After seeing the Facebook alumni group he manages grow, he wanted to find a way to raise money for their beloved HBCUs.

"You know during this coronavirus and this pandemic, we're all stuck at home, right? So I'm like, 'Oh, let's just go live and I can talk to people.' and I said, 'Wait a minute—there are people watching. Oh wait, there's a lot more people watching. Oh, let's play some background music. Oh, wait a minute, let's make this a party!' So we ended up calling it the HBCU Alumni House Party," said Brown.

Every Wednesday, Brown hops on Facebook live playing music and interviewing representatives of the schools that are being featured that week. So far, in 10 weeks, the schools Brown highlighted have raised $80,700. Central State University in Ohio raised the most money.

"Central State right now ... they raised $15,000 in their week," said Brown.

Wilberforce University, also in Ohio, just finished its fundraising campaign last week.

"We raised around 70 percent of our goal. So, we're really excited that our alumni got involved, got connected to us. We're going to keep pushing them obviously because we want to make 100%"," said Natalie Coles, vice president of advancement and chief development officer at Wilberforce University.

She said the money raised from the Facebook fundraiser will help the school with technology as courses are moved online for this school year.

"We just decided last week to go to a completely virtual learning modality so all of our students will be virtual for the first time in the history of Wilberforce. So what that means is we need a lot of support around technology. We need support to help our students get wifi, to help our students get laptops. I mean, these are all the things we are furiously raising money for right now so these funds will be used to further that cause," said Coles.

Brown said the fundraiser is a way for alumni and supporters of HBCUs to come together to help the schools during this time of need.

"We are stronger together when we are standing united," said Brown.

The donated funds are unrestricted dollars so schools can use them in whatever capacity they are needed.

The fundraising started June 1 and will go through Dec. 31.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
College of Central Florida announces William H. Jackson Promise Scholarships
September 6, 2020

The College of Central Florida has presented $50,000 in William H. Jackson Promise Scholarships to associate degree-seeking students for the fall semester.

Twenty-three students will receive $2,000 per academic year, and two students will receive full tuition and book scholarships, valued at nearly $4,000 per academic year.

“The scholarships are named for William H. Jackson, the president of Hampton Junior College, which was one of the 12 historically black junior colleges in Florida,” said CF President Dr. Jim Henningsen. “In 1966, Hampton Junior College merged with CF. In honor of President Jackson and to honor our history with Hampton Junior College, we have dedicated $50,000 annually in new student scholarships.”

Henningsen said the college is proud to support high-need students with the scholarships.

“The college is committed to providing education opportunities for our local students who will become our business leaders, civic leaders, healthcare providers, educators and other professionals in the coming years,” Henningsen said. “By investing in our students, we are investing in our community.”

Jeremiah Evans and Kalis Stevens, both graduates of Vanguard High School, will receive the full tuition and book scholarships for 2020-21. Evans is pursuing a degree in Early Childhood Education. He has worked with children of all ages at Ocala First United Methodist Church and currently is working with teachers in Ocala First Preschool during the week and leading Kids Church on the weekend.

“I’m excited to begin studying early childhood education at the College of Central Florida,” Evans said. “I am so grateful that I was given the opportunity to receive this scholarship. Since I was young, I’ve known I wanted to work with kids and this scholarship will help me reach that dream.”

Stevens is pursuing an Associate in Arts degree with a goal of working in the medical field. She has been an active member of Greater Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church for several years and volunteers with Sunday School, sings in the youth choir and is a member of the Teen Discovery Group. She participated in CF’s Project Eagle Summer Bridge virtual program in July.

“I am very thankful to be the recipient of the WHJ scholarship,” Steven said. “I am looking forward to starting my career in the medical field helping people the best way I can. The support that I am receiving from the College of Central Florida will allow me to focus on my studies without having the financial burden of paying for my tuition.”

While all students are expected to maintain academic standards, the full tuition scholarship recipients also will meet with a mentor, attend student activity and engagement events, and speak to groups about their experience.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
UD star, Dayton native Chris Wright partners with Wilberforce to offer scholarships
5KGPUBN6QNG6VIREJPEB5LOZKQ.jpg

Oct 6, 2020

Former University of Dayton basketball star and NBA veteran Chris Wright wants to help Dayton-area students fulfill their athletic and academic dreams.

The Dayton native’s Wright Way Foundation will partner with Wilberforce University to launch both an educational and career pathway initiative for future and current Dayton-area students who want to attend the nation’s first private Historically Black College and University, according to a news release. Qualified high school students will be offered scholarships to pursue degrees in such fields as sports management, sports medicine, visual arts and media and entrepreneurship.

“As a pro player who’s experienced and learned a lot in life through basketball, I feel it’s my job to be hands-on in leading the youth and giving back to my city,” Wright said in the news release. “I’m extremely blessed to be in this position to collaborate with the nation’s first private HBCU, right here in the Dayton area.”

Wright also will host World Championship Basketball Tournament tryouts on the Wilberforce campus, the release says. The foundation will fund two basketball players ― a boy and a girl ― ages 16-17 to participate in the tournament in Lausanne, Switzerland. Participants will have the opportunity to travel to Europe to compete against some of the best players in the world during summer 2021, the release says.

“The Wright Way Foundation will now be able to give kids from all over Ohio an opportunity to learn the history in our city," Wright said. "Our partnership with Wilberforce University will allow us to continue to explore scholarship opportunities, academic assistance and career pathway programs for future HBCU students beginning in 2021. I’m excited to bring pride to the youth of my city, and help them grow as student-athletes and young professionals.”

HAKMTLEPXVDRLG5NXFQJ6WEERQ.jpg

Wilberforce President President Elfred Anthony Pinkard welcomed the partnership with Wright’s organization.

“Wilberforce University is very excited about the work The Wright Foundation is doing with local youth,” Pinkard said. "This very important partnership between the foundation, and Wilberforce is an example of possibilities that are unlimited.”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Elizabeth City State University receives $50,000 endowment from Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Oct 27, 2020

AKA.jpg

ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (WNCT) Elizabeth City State University received an initial endowment of $50,000 from Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated in partnership with the AKA Educational Advancement Foundation.

The donation comes on the heels of the sorority’s recent third annual HBCU Impact Day initiative where more than $1.5 million was raised in one day for the support of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).

Last year, AKA began the process of donating to HBCUs through the AKA-HBCU Endowment Fund with the goal to donate $10 million within four years.

The sorority gifted $1.6 million to the first 32 of 96 HBCUs at a ceremony held at AKA’s international headquarters in Chicago.

Each HBCU received $50,000 in unrestricted endowment funds as part of a phased approach to help schools reduce student debt through scholarships, fund industry-specific research, recruit and retain top faculty, and other critical operations.

“Given the current economic state of our world, in which we are dealing with a global health pandemic and widespread injustice against people of color, now more than ever is the time for historically Black sororities, fraternities and other HBCU supporters to step up and be of service to our historic institutions of higher education,” said Dr. Glenda Glover, AKA International President and Chief Executive Officer.

Anita Walton, ECSU’s Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, said AKA’s commitment to HBCUs and its gift to the university make a significant impact on educational opportunities for current and future Vikings.

Although HBCU Impact Day has passed, Alpha Kappa Alpha is still accepting donations to support the AKA-HBCU Endowment Fund $10 million goal.

Interested donors can make contributions by texting AKAHBCU to 44321 or giving by mail or online.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Duke got the best alumni network. I have been to at least five of their events. :blessed:

It really does. I was in that Duke TIP... felt like half of the country was there.

Btw, ya'll realize we have one of your buildings, and we have one of yours :jawalrus:

Did they tell ya'll that on campus? They told us Furman hall was supposed to be built in Duke

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Screenshot-2020-11-06-Charles-Barkley-pledges-fifth-1-million-HBCU-gift.png

Nov. 6, 2020

Charles Barkley is once again pledging a million dollars to an HBCU.

During a recent interview with V103’s Big Tigger in Atlanta, the retired NBA legend and Hall of Famer announced that this time around he is choosing Tuskegee University for his next big donation.

The endowment is through Capital One’s The Match: Champions for Change presented by Turner Sports. The premier golf event, that boasts stellar athletes in competition, seeks to raise awareness about the benefits of HBCUs and their illustrious programs.

The Match will air on Turner Network Television (TNT), Friday, November 27, at 3 p.m. EST with exclusive content available on Bleacher Report.

“We are excited to learn that Mr. Barkley made it a priority to support Tuskegee University,” Dr. Charlotte Morris, interim president, stated. “His philanthropy will play a crucial role in advancing the university’s strategic goals.”

This marks the fifth major donation Barkley has made to a Historically Black College and University. Earlier this year, he pledged $1 million to Miles College. In 2016, Barkley pledged $1 million to both Alabama A&M in Huntsville and Clark Atlanta University and in 2017 he pledged $1 million to Morehouse College in Atlanta.