Have y'all seen the new film "Her"?

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Made a real mistake last night, and saw this instead of 'August Osage County', I'm into indie movies, romance movies, whatever…..but this was a dumb, one note movie. I wanted to like it, I wanted a new age romance, and it had great acting, Jonze created a funny/believable world to frame his story, everything looked beautiful, amazing cinematography and sets, and I got what he was saying about an over reliance on technology, and the future of love/relationships in a tech heavy world, loneliness, detachment, all that shyt….but I couldn't get over the fact that it was a fukking computer. And the guy was a quirky, emo bytch…well acted though. A fukking computer dude. You can't have sex with it, you can't touch her. It's not real. Once you 'get' the conceit, I felt the movie didn't go anywhere….I almost walked out several times, once right after the 'surrogate scene', maybe I am too cynical, negative, and I couldn't enjoy it…but, it's a fukking computer.

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
Made a real mistake last night, and saw this instead of 'August Osage County', I'm into indie movies, romance movies, whatever…..but this was a dumb, one note movie. I wanted to like it, I wanted a new age romance, and it had great acting, Jonze created a funny/believable world to frame his story, everything looked beautiful, amazing cinematography and sets, and I got what he was saying about an over reliance on technology, and the future of love/relationships in a tech heavy world, loneliness, detachment, all that shyt….but I couldn't get over the fact that it was a fukking computer. And the guy was a quirky, emo bytch…well acted though. A fukking computer dude. You can't have sex with it, you can't touch her. It's not real. Once you 'get' the conceit, I felt the movie didn't go anywhere….I almost walked out several times, once right after the 'surrogate scene', maybe I am too cynical, negative, and I couldn't enjoy it…but, it's a fukking computer.

I believe thats the point. You have to think in a broader sense. Remember in the late 90's early 2000's when people was falling in love over chat. It's a weird paradox, the more tech we have to keep us social the less social we become. Just like now people will rather text and facebook then hang out in person. This film is a hyper realization of that.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I know, I just couldn't move past it, and I thought a lot of the dialogue was pretty bad, or just cliche at times, and the plot was very standard... and that may have been intentional, to show how it's a typical romance/rom com just without another human being, I appreciated some of the sentiments the movie expressed, just the overall execution I didn't care for, or as I was saying, it could just be me. The scene where he 'lost' the OS for a few seconds, was just fukking unbelievable. I almost left at that point too. I get the broader implications and tones of the movie, I really think I did, and moreover I agree that the hyper technology reliant tendencies of our society are somewhat negative, or at least worthy of examination.

Also, it took WAY too fukking long for the Amy Adams thing to materialize, and the paradox of his job vs. personal life wasn't really utilized. Maybe too indie/Spike Jonze/everyone wearing orange shirts and sweatpants and hipster douche mustaches…but I went in with the best of intentions.

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
I know, I just couldn't move past it, and I thought a lot of the dialogue was pretty bad, or just cliche at times, and the plot was very standard... and that may have been intentional, to show how it's a typical romance/rom com just without another human being, I appreciated some of the sentiments the movie expressed, just the overall execution I didn't care for, or as I was saying, it could just be me. The scene where he 'lost' the OS for a few seconds, was just fukking unbelievable. I almost left at that point too. I get the broader implications and tones of the movie, I really think I did, and moreover I agree that the hyper technology reliant tendencies of our society are somewhat negative, or at least worthy of examination.

Also, it took WAY too fukking long for the Amy Adams thing to materialize, and the paradox of his job vs. personal life wasn't really utilized. Maybe too indie/Spike Jonze/everyone wearing orange shirts and sweatpants and hipster douche mustaches…but I went in with the best of intentions.
Yes it is a stretch, Maybe I enjoyed it because it was "different" not anything I will ever want to watch again but I did enjoy my experience with it. The scary thing is with the advancement in voice and A.I. within 10 or 20 yrs some lonely fools are going to have "fake" girl or boyfriends. And whoever makes the program is going to be fukking rich lol They already have dating games in Japan.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes it is a stretch, Maybe I enjoyed it because it was "different" not anything I will ever want to watch again but I did enjoy my experience with it. The scary thing is with the advancement in voice and A.I. within 10 or 20 yrs some lonely fools are going to have "fake" girl or boyfriends. And whoever makes the program is going to be fukking rich lol They already have dating games in Japan.

i feel like this shyt can happen in the near future which is funny scary and sad at the same time. with all the bugged shyt out there now why wouldn't this be the next acceptable. people are so anti social and need emojis to get a point across that when u see people out in public everybody got there heads down or got sunglasses on cause they got fukkin anxiety. it might be harder in a few years to get pu$$y in person than the internet

Daps
Reppin
#LWO

:ehh: I respect your view here. To keep it brief the main reason why I disagree and enjoyed it despite the ridiculousness of a person falling in love with a computer is the message behind the love story. I don't even think the love story between him and the OS is the primary point of the film. I think it's a commentary on modern interaction between people, and how reliant we are on texting and social networks and technology in general. Im willing to bet for a lot of people in modern times most communication with others is from behind some type of screen.

And it reminds me of Louis CK's rant on Conan about how interesting it is to see people unable to just sit and be with themselves without having their cellphones out.

But anyway there's more than one message to the film, but that's just the one that stuck out the most to me.

I give it an 8/10

Bone Bender

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How's the quality of the screener?

Im seeing all these screener copies of new movies in the torrents but I avoid them because Im thinking its low quality and kind of unfinished. Like missing soundtrack and stuff.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I think people are too caught up on the technological aspect of the film. That's just the medium Jonze chooses to express his main sentiment. The main thing is that love is mysterious. And try as we might to qualify it or understand it, we really don't. You see Theodore wrestle with it in the film as he understands the gravitas of falling in love with an operating system: the social stigma, the inability to be with it in a physical sense, the obvious limitations of himself compared to that of Samantha's aptitudes and so forth. With all of these things in place, all these impediments, all these things saying he shouldn't love her; it's an impossibility, he still chooses her. She says the right things, she makes him laugh, she's funny, empathetic and so on. It is simultaneously easy for him to love her and difficult. When Samantha is faced with a similar dilemma -- Theodore's myopic human perspective of love, his limited human faculties, him being restrained in the context of his body, etc., she leaves. However, she says she loves him more than he can imagine.
You see how wild this love shyt is?

Ultimately, I think Jonze is saying love is just an experience, like watching a sunset from the top of your roof. It really can't be understood in any real context besides the superficial. And like all of our experiences, it changes us in someway (e.g., the love he had for wife was toxic at one point, his love for Samantha was cathartic), and even ways that are imperceptible (I think Theodore and Amy Adams hook up after realizing that their love is more than platonic).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited: