Has Gaming Hit It's Peak in the 'Gameplay' Category?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
That sounds cool in theory, but might be annoying in a game.

What Rainbow Six Siege brought this gen was the most innovative mix of realism, fukkery and attention to detail I've seen in a shooter in a long time.
Firewall Zero is essentially rainbow six in VR.
It’s still too expensive for an experimental purchase but anyone who has played the heavy hitters on VR will tell you that it’s definitely the next big leap for video games.
Everything else has peaked and as you alluded to in the OP, new hardware isn’t going to change that.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not necessarily. There are instances where it can be pretty charming, and other instances where developers just threw it in there. A lot of people complained that last Final Fantasy (Cup Noodle) did this thinking it'll be a trend in the future
Im cool as long as it doent get to ingame ad breaks

Is this the cup noodle thing? Honestly im here for this kinda shyt :dead:

benefit_dlc.0.jpg

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
I think smarter AI is needed, one that adapts to how you play.
Like in 2k, I shouldn’t be able to keep running a pick and roll without the defense adjusting

and in like fighting games, don’t make them tanks, but just make them smarter based on your fighting style

Daps

This video is a good overview on how it can change game design with examples.

"A lot of walking"
GOW is amazing but that is one of my main critiques
Too many sections where you aren't doing much of anything but walking
Now I know why :mjlol:
No excuse for Ragnarok not to be a a roller coaster from start to finish compared to the first game with these speeds:yeshrug:

Last edited:

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
VR is the real answer but we are way way to far off for any of that to be meaningful

definitely hasn’t hit its peak
I think the next genre breaking game will be MMO. Not like current ones where a small group of people run the same thing over for drops. But a living world that merges AAA budget with thousands of players online

like a GTA online only game

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Nope

Traditionally, RAM increases has led to games being more "complex", which leads to innovative gameplay. (Think of how improvements in processing power led to the ability to render 100000 polygons in real time, per second, in the PS1 era, in comparison to the SNES days).

The PS5 and Series X have multiple TFLOPS, and multiple processors, and a lotta storage space, so at this point, it's up to the creativity of the devs.