Has Gaming Hit It's Peak in the 'Gameplay' Category?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:jbhmm:

Thinking about this current gen, and heading into next gen, when we look at gameplay, what's left to do in videogames?

The info coming out for both consoles is mainly geared around highlighting convenience... accessing your game library anywhere, remote play, game catalog services etc, faster loading times, enhanced online functionality etc.

VR got a little traction this gen, but it still has a way to go to being a fully standard feature/option... and quite frankly, do the majority of gamers want to game with a VR headset on for hours?

The controllers are practically the same and have been for the last 2 generations. The way we play games really hasn't changed drastically outside of the battle royal genre that took this gen over.

Is it all about convenience, improved visuals, streaming/sharing content and connectivity from here on out brehs?

Let's have a discussion.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
Gaming hit it’s peak transitioning from mmo’s to rpg lite and gaas...as those games support the ridiculous scale that these games need to hit to begin to see a profit.

GAAS will also be gamings downfall because the scale and the amount of resources it takes to feed the beast is way too damn high :whoa:

VR and shyt like that are novelties and will never be accepted by the mass of non traditional gamers and will remain a fad just like weird ass controllers or whatever niche shyt you can think of.

The days of insular β€œinnovative” games are over breh :francis:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC

Thinking about this current gen, and heading into next gen, when we look at gameplay, what's left to do in videogames?

The info coming out for both consoles is mainly geared around highlighting convenience... accessing your game library anywhere, remote play, game catalog services etc, faster loading times, enhanced online functionality etc.

VR got a little traction this gen, but it still has a way to go to being a fully standard feature/option... and quite frankly, do the majority of gamers want to game with a VR headset on for hours?

The controllers are practically the same and have been for the last 2 generations. The way we play games really hasn't changed drastically outside of the battle royal genre that took this gen over.

Is it all about convenience, improved visuals, streaming/sharing content and connectivity from here on out brehs?

Let's have a discussion.

No, corporate culture kills creativity which it does in every other creative industry like movies and music.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
no, we will just have to look to nintendo to keep changing everything up like always

MS might end up in a position for their cool ideas that were rejected before but until then...
Hate em or love em, Nintendo has always pushed the envelope when it came to implementing different ideas with their games and consoles. They saw the industry shifting to media and streaming content and they pretty much kept it in gaming by reinventing themselves and staying true to their niche.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
Hate em or love em, Nintendo has always pushed the envelope when it came to implementing different ideas with their games and consoles. They saw the industry shifting to media and streaming content and they pretty much kept it in gaming by reinventing themselves and staying true to their niche.
they hit and miss, but their hits become standards while their misses can be counted on one hand. i dont know if iwata's death will make a difference but my money is on them to never let gameplay plateau

like i said i can see MS making some attempt but that shyt is iffy

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Let's have a discussion.
Absolutely not, it'll be the opposite this gen of what you're thinking. Gameplay has hit a wall since this gen started. Peaked the gen before. And gameplay has hit these walls due to limited power in the CPUs. Halo 1 Xbox vs Halo 1 on PC are totally different experiences because the Ai acts radically different due to the beefed up cpu.

Halo 5 is the first console Halo I've played that matched what I fondly recall when I played thru Halo 1 PC many many moons ago. And this gen we'll see that leap across all titles. Madden and 2k won't look vastly different but they'll play differently assuming they put in the work. TBC

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
VR gonna become full scale. The sports games need to do a mesh with the minds behind GTA or some other game as such so that you can begin to do off court things and what not. Drive your player to the gym lol idk how it would work with licensing and using real streets and such but this is what I envision. Call of duty needs to add in moveable objects and take getting kills to a new level where if you hit players in the arm that arm is dead or fukked until they die and can respawn. Graphics are just gonna hit these walls where the only real change is the vibrancy of the colors. A breakthrough will have to happen. Playstation feels a lot like iPhone to me right now.

Daps
We'll have see with Sony's first party exclusives that take advantage of the PS5's SSD and the new compression technology that boosts its speeds to 17.38 GB/s

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
VR gonna become full scale. The sports games need to do a mesh with the minds behind GTA or some other game as such so that you can begin to do off court things and what not. Drive your player to the gym lol idk how it would work with licensing and using real streets and such but this is what I envision. Call of duty needs to add in moveable objects and take getting kills to a new level where if you hit players in the arm that arm is dead or fukked until they die and can respawn. Graphics are just gonna hit these walls where the only real change is the vibrancy of the colors. A breakthrough will have to happen. Playstation feels a lot like iPhone to me right now.
That sounds cool in theory, but might be annoying in a game.

What Rainbow Six Siege brought this gen was the most innovative mix of realism, fukkery and attention to detail I've seen in a shooter in a long time.