Haitian Appreciation Thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Mega

Thanks. Haitians are resilient by necessity. Glad to read about the tradesmen (& women) and the regular people who traveled there to work on the project. I have faith in the people.

I have ZERO faith in the Haitian govt. that is supposed to oversee and inspect the project. Hopefully they don't get in the way.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*7 minutes running time

Footsteps - A short Film

August 2023

Naomi Osaka’s Hana Kuma Releases Short Film about featured project GOALS Haiti. The film, ‘Foot Steps, captures the hope and excitement following the Haitian National Women’s team historic debut at the Women’s World up and what it means for the next generation.

“When I created Hana Kuma, it was to be able to create and elevate stories like these,” said Naomi Osaka. “It is incredible to watch this debutant team in the World Cup, but it’s even more amazing to know the power of what they’re inspiring back home. We wanted to change the narrative that surrounds Haiti and inject a story of hope, excitement, and belief. I have always celebrated my Haitian heritage and I cannot wait to watch this team continue to defy odds the rest of the ‘23 World Cup.”

The film documents the work of GOALS Haiti and their mission to advance youth leadership through soccer and education to create stronger and healthier communities in rural Haiti.

It is in these rural villages through GOALS Haiti that three current national team players (Betina Petit-Frere, Esthericove Joseph, Nahomie Ambroise) got their start playing soccer. And it’s where a new short film captures the life and pride that they and the World Cup bring to the girls back home watching.

For many of the program participants it is their dream to make it to the national teams and play on a bigger stage. “During my time with GOALS, I learned more than soccer because I went to their sessions on social and life skills. There are a lot of players who have a lot of talent that do not get this chance, and I am getting that chance to play in the World Cup. It is a huge opportunity. For other young girls watching me play, the message I would tell them is to focus on what you want and believe in your dreams. Do not listen to people who want to discourage you. Always believe in yourself and work hard for what you want.” – Betina Petit Frere

The story of this film is offering a fresh perspective of how this National team is creating a blueprint for the younger generation of Haitian girls to follow their dreams and aspirations and how GOALS Haiti is helping the next generation of young leaders on and off the field.

Mega

Superstar
Daps

Statement from the OAS General Secretariat: Call for Dialogue between the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic

September 26, 2023

The General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (OAS) has been holding consultations with authorities from Haiti and the Dominican Republic regarding the dispute over the construction of a Haitian canal on the Dajabón or Massacre River.

There can be no doubt that Haiti and the Dominican Republic have equal rights of use over the Dajabón or Massacre River and that its water resources are vital for both, given the needs of its inhabitants, especially in the current context of drought. This use must be ensured in accordance with international law and the treaties in force between both countries.

We are confident that both parties have the capabilities to assure the other of good faith to resolve these issues.
In this sense, the OAS General Secretariat offers its support, either directly or through any associated State or subregional organization, to collaborate with all the necessary aspects to resolve the dispute.

This controversy must be resolved based on the principle of good neighborliness and friendship between both countries and their leaders. In this context, dialogue and mutual understanding are imperative, avoiding any tension and working to overcome disagreement.

The current situation does not benefit either party. It is essential that the Dominican and Haitian authorities meet as soon as possible to carry out a frank dialogue, for which the General Secretariat of the OAS and its Secretary General are in the best position to collaborate in the search for a beneficial solution for both countries.

@get these nets @intruder @Mirin4rmfar @Secure Da Bag
Kanal la Pap Kanpe. #KPK:wow:

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps

Harvard names Claudine Gay 30th president​

Claudine Gay.

Social scientist and dean of largest University faculty excited to seize ‘moment of possibility’
December 15, 2022
Claudine Gay, a widely admired higher education leader and distinguished scholar of democracy and political participation, will become the 30th president of Harvard University on July 1.
Since 2018, Gay has served as the Edgerley Family Dean of Harvard’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), the University’s largest and most academically diverse faculty, spanning the biological and physical sciences and engineering, the social sciences, and the humanities and arts. As dean, she has guided efforts to expand student access and opportunity, spur excellence and innovation in teaching and research, enhance aspects of academic culture, and bring new emphasis and energy to areas such as quantum science and engineering; climate change; ethnicity, indigeneity, and migration; and the humanities. She has successfully led FAS through the COVID pandemic, consistently and effectively prioritizing the dual goals of safeguarding community health and sustaining academic continuity and progress. The disruptive effects of the crisis notwithstanding, she has also launched and led an ambitious, inclusive, and faculty-driven strategic planning process, intended to take a fresh look at fundamental aspects of academic structures, resources, and operations in FAS and to advance academic excellence in the years ahead.
The daughter of Haitian immigrants, Gay received her bachelor’s degree in 1992 from Stanford, where she majored in economics and was awarded the Anna Laura Myers Prize for best undergraduate thesis. In 1998, she received her Ph.D. in government from Harvard, where she won the Toppan Prize for best dissertation in political science. A quantitative social scientist with expertise in political behavior, Gay served as an assistant professor and then tenured associate professor at Stanford before being recruited to Harvard in 2006 as a professor of government. She was also appointed a professor of African and African American Studies in 2007. She was named the Wilbur A. Cowett Professor of Government in 2015, when she also became dean of social science at FAS.
“Claudine is a remarkable leader who is profoundly devoted to sustaining and enhancing Harvard’s academic excellence, to championing both the value and the values of higher education and research, to expanding opportunity, and to strengthening Harvard as a fount of ideas and a force for good in the world,” said Penny Pritzker, senior fellow of the Harvard Corporation and chair of Harvard’s presidential search committee. “As the Edgerley Family Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences since 2018, and previously as dean of social science, Claudine has brought to her roles a rare blend of incisiveness and inclusiveness, intellectual range and strategic savvy, institutional ambition and personal humility, a respect for enduring ideals, and a talent for catalyzing change. She has a bedrock commitment to free inquiry and expression, as well as a deep appreciation for the diverse voices and views that are the lifeblood of a university community.
“As her many admirers know, Claudine consults widely; she listens attentively; she thinks rigorously and imaginatively; she invites collaboration and resists complacency; and she acts with conviction and purpose,” continued Pritzker. “All of us on the search committee are excited by the prospect of her bringing her high aspirations and interdisciplinary outlook across the Yard from University Hall to Massachusetts Hall. We are confident Claudine will be a thoughtful, principled, and inspiring president for all of Harvard, dedicated to helping each of our individual Schools to thrive, as well as fostering creative connections among them. She is someone intent on affirming the power of curiosity-driven learning. And she is someone eager to integrate and elevate Harvard’s efforts — throughout the arts and sciences and across the professions — to address complex challenges in the wider world.
“For all her professional accomplishments, even more impressive are Claudine’s personal qualities — her quality and clarity of mind, her broad curiosity about fields beyond her own, her integrity and fair-mindedness, and her dedication to creating opportunities for others. She will be a great Harvard president in no small part because she is such a good person,” said Pritzker

Installed yesterday.

Edit: NVM didn't see your post above.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Installed yesterday.

Edit: NVM didn't see your post above.

Thank you for posting. There can never be enough good news. That's why I left my post up about her being chosen president, even after Mega broke the story.

Noticed that the IG is from the Haitian American writer who came up in discussions ahead of the one-and-done OKOP series debuting.

All social classes and diaspora regions of Haitian community got behind the women's soccer team and Claudine Gay. Lifts our spirits during trying times. Usually it's something negative that brings the community together to rally against. Glad that positive news can bring us closer.

Definitely an inspiration to young girls coming up.

As if Harvard's endowment wasnt enough, now they're going to receive donations & have to convert Gourdes to USD. hehehehe

Mega

Superstar
Daps
@Mega

Thanks. Haitians are resilient by necessity. Glad to read about the tradesmen (& women) and the regular people who traveled there to work on the project. I have faith in the people.

I have ZERO faith in the Haitian govt. that is supposed to oversee and inspect the project. Hopefully they don't get in the way.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
My class reunion is in the DR, told them I would not be going due to the ongoing issues between DR and Haiti….

I wasn’t going to go even if there was no issue :mjlol:

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Details from the last Census about the size, age, regional distribution of the Black origin groups in America.

table-1.jpeg

table-2.jpeg

If I’m reading these numbers correctly, we are the 2nd largest group of Black people behind OG Black Americans.

:ehh: Wouldn’t have thought that, but I suppose it makes sense.

I wonder why/how the pipeline of Ethiopians to DMV started.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
If I’m reading these numbers correctly, we are the 2nd largest group of Black people behind OG Black Americans.

:ehh: Wouldn’t have thought that, but I suppose it makes sense.
Yeah, it's pretty interesting. We are also the largest immigrant group when it comes to Inter-Caribbean migration.
Political and economic conditions force our families to move elsewhere.

I wonder why/how the pipeline of Ethiopians to DMV started.
Ethiopian govt . used to send their citizens here for training and education.
In the early 70s, there was a revolution in Ethiopia and the students were stranded here. The main areas where they were going to school became enclaves for them. I'm assuming it was at Howard, Georgetown, and UDC.
Similar story for the Nigerian community that took root in metro Houston.