Haitian Appreciation Thread

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Have you guys ever questioned just how recently your family / friends’ family converted to Christianity (if they are)?

For my family and most of my Haitian-American friends….most of our grandparents were not Christian or converted late in life. A lot of them either practicing or believing in voudou….or idk.

My dad converted to Wesleyan in his late teens or early twenties. Due to ‘missionaries’ coming to countryside. And from what I understand, while my dad was a ‘true’ believer late in life….a lot of the initial conversion was due to trade offs of being provided more opportunities. He then converted his own parents. Sick imo, but hey.

Most of the older non-Christians have passed. I would describe myself as agnostic atheist for the most part. Grew deep in the church til about 8/9….

Growing up in Miami, you would think Haitians have primarily believed in Christianity for many generations. The voudou practicers felt few and far between in our circles. And with my family it’s not that they thought voudou was fake…but they feared it. It was always brought up in a negative light, but even as a child I saw nothing inherently negative about it….especially juxtaposed to knowing how Christianity is tangled in with slavery/colonialism/etc.

Feel like a lot of us are only a generation or two removed from being more disconnected with a lot our ancestors’ traditions.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Cape Verdean artist showing love to Konpa.

Thanks, this is a good record and video.
Is this artist based in Mass. ?
That's the only region that I can think of where both groups have any kind of numbers. And where this kind of musical fusion would likely take place.
I understand enough Portuguese to be able to follow the song, I think

Mega

Superstar
Daps
Thanks, this is a good record and video.
Is this artist based in Mass. ?
That's the only region that I can think of where both groups have any kind of numbers. And where this kind of musical fusion would likely take place.
I understand enough Portuguese to be able to follow the song, I think
I believe this artist is based out of Portugal.
Konpa has been getting a lot attention lately.

I just found out about Indian Konpa..:dead:

Mega

Superstar
Daps

Dyaspora Ayisyen Paris a Fòme Oganizasyon pou Ede Konstriksyon Kanal Wanament la​

Oct 30, 2023
Ayisyen yo nan vil Paris an Frans fòme plizyè òganizasyon pou ede nan konstriksyon kanal Wanament la sou rivyè Masak la an Ayiti.

I am so proud on how we are all coming together on the Canal movement.

Mega

Superstar
Daps

MIAMI PEDIATRIC SURGEON AND LEADER HENRI R. FORD, MD, MHA, IS NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS.

Dean-Ford_Email-Size.jpg

October 24, 2023 – World-renowned pediatric surgeon, prolific physician-scientist, and dean and chief academic officer of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Henri R. Ford, M.D., M.H.A., was installed for a one-year term as the 104th President of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) on October 22. Reflecting his commitment to building a diverse professional workforce that embraces the concept of inclusive excellence, Dr. Ford has chosen the theme, “Achieving Our Best Together,” to guide his time as president of the ACS.

Born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Dr. Ford moved with his family to Brooklyn, New York, when he was 13 years old. He excelled in high school and received a full scholarship to Princeton University, where his interest in medicine burgeoned. He graduated cum laude from Princeton in 1980 with a bachelor of arts degree in public and international affairs, then earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School. Dr. Ford completed his surgical internship and residency at New York/Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical College and — inspired to pursue a career in academic surgery — he also completed a research fellowship in immunology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and a clinical fellowship in pediatric surgery at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
If I’m reading these numbers correctly, we are the 2nd largest group of Black people behind OG Black Americans.

:ehh: Wouldn’t have thought that, but I suppose it makes sense.

I wonder why/how the pipeline of Ethiopians to DMV started.
My ancestors waaaaay back when came to the USA from Haiti enslaved to the Louisianas. Alot of Louisiana had enslaved ancestors from Haiti.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

eater-honeysuckleprovisions-oct2023-gabbonghi-026.jpg

Hoagies

Honeysuckle Provisions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA
310 S. 48TH STREET
Honeysuckle Provisions is what happens when visionary Black chefs Omar Tate and his wife and co-owner, Cybille St.Aude-Tate, reimagine what a neighborhood restaurant can look like. The all-day cafe is located in a predominantly Black area of West Philadelphia, where community activists, blue-collar workers, artists, and tourists all gather to experience something hyperlocal, yet nationally renowned. In the morning, commuters grab coffees and flaky mini Pop Tarts to go, while other diners go bigger with hearty, destination-worthy breakfast sandwiches of maple-sage sausage or black-eyed pea scrapple, plus cheddar, served on a “BLACKenglish” muffin. No Philly lunch spot should be without a hoagie, and Honeysuckle offers two: the “Dolla” hoagie, made with expertly baked spelt flour rolls and vegan mayo from benne seeds, and the outrageously craveable Friday special, a hoagie with Creole-spiced fried fish.

Complete the meal with a delicately spiced and impossibly spongy plantain snack cake, which takes inspiration from St.Aude-Tate’s Haitian roots. It’s a prime example of how Honeysuckle Provisions is more than just a place to eat: It’s also a culinary gallery for Afrocentric history that can be found in the recipe books sold on its shelves, and on the menu itself. It pays homage to the diversity of its local culture while ensuring its guests are getting what they actually need. And isn’t that what makes a truly great neighborhood restaurant? — Ernest Owens
Photography by Gab Bonghi

eater-honeysuckleprovisions-oct2023-gabbonghi-023.jpg

eater-honeysuckleprovisions-oct2023-gabbonghi-016.jpg

eater-honeysuckleprovisions-oct2023-gabbonghi-029.jpg

eater-honeysuckleprovisions-oct2023-gabbonghi-012.jpg

Clockwise from the top: patties, tart, plantain snack cake.
Chefs Cybille St.Aude-Tate and Omar Tate.
Fried chicken, grits, and eggs.
Honeysuckle Provisions.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*full list in link

November 13, 2023

The 50 Most Powerful People in American Fine Dining

Robb Report's first annual ranking of the restaurant industry's most influential figures, as chosen by their peers.

In the world of fine dining, where creativity and commerce intermingle heavily, power is fluid. The ability to influence others may come from economic might, but for many, vision and innovation are what imbue people with power. While there are numerous lists trying to pinpoint who in the industry holds sway over others, we felt the best way to truly understand influence in American fine dining was to go directly to professionals throughout the industry and ask them what they thought.

So we called on more than 100 people from across the restaurant world—from Michelin-starred chefs to James Beard Award-winning restaurateurs to prominent investors to media members to CEOs of restaurant tech platforms—to tell us who they believed were the most powerful among their peers. We asked voters to not define fine dining too narrowly—as just tasting menus and overly formal service—because for us fine dining is about ambition in the kitchen paired with attentive hospitality in the dining room. And we encouraged voters to be expansive in how they thought about who held power: Perhaps it’s the chefs who most influence others creatively; the restaurateurs growing dining empires; the investors working behind the scenes to fund top talent; the real estate developers that can attract great restaurant groups; or the media figures who can drive or deter business with their opinions. Ultimately, we wanted to know who moves the needle creatively and economically.

With those parameters in mind, each voter was allowed to select 10 people they thought held the most power in the industry. In the instance of a voter believing a duo or trio’s influence was inextricably linked, they were allowed to group them as one entry on their ballot. We sought gender, racial, age, and geographic diversity in our voting body to give the best possible snapshot of the restaurant world right now.

As ballots began to roll in, we saw that the old guard of the industry was still holding strong in the minds of many people, with the first few slots of numerous ballots looking surprisingly similar. And despite gender parity in our voting body, perceptions of who holds power in the industry still skews male, with the number of men on the list greatly outnumbering the women. But as voting continued, we could also see a new class of young, diverse leaders emerge, showing a bright future for fine dining.

Here are the 50 most powerful people in American fine dining for 2023.

33) Gregory Gourdet

SRLWX.jpg

Photo : Eva Kosmas Flores

Good luck getting a reservation at Gregory Gourdet’s Kann. When the chef’s wood-fired Haitian restaurant makes its bookings available, a whole month is snapped up in less than an hour. And for good reason. The restaurant and bar downstairs, Sousòl, have been racking up accolades since opening in 2022. An alum of Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s restaurant group, Gourdet marries the technical proficiency he’s acquired in his career with flavors of his Haitian heritage. On top of the restaurant’s success, the chef has had a star turn as well. With appearances on Top Chef and other food shows, Gourdet has garnered a strong enough national fanbase to reach product-pitchman status; he has been featured in campaigns for dishwasher detergent, sparkling water, utensils, and more. His contemporaries are fans of his, too. He has not only won a James Beard Award for the best new restaurant in the country, but he has also taken home a Beard Award for his cookbook, Everyone’s Table.