Guy Ritchie's 2017 "King Arthur" movie thread

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I wonder what the budget is looking like for this movie cause the marketing campaign for this shyt has been MASSIVE

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
I wonder what the budget is looking like for this movie cause the marketing campaign for this shyt has been MASSIVE
Production budget is $175 million plus the marketing like you mentioned so yeah this is going cost WB some millions unless it somehow does really well internationally.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
It's not gonna do well ^^

But it's a good fun movie

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IMO they just need to get the budget back. They need to stop spending so much on these movies though, 90 million was fine for this, and would have gotten it a sequel. This will also do well on rentals, VOD, etc.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I remember reading and watching "King Arthuer", and various Knights of the Round Table adaptations as a kid, I can recite a lot of the mythology still, I think. Lancelot, Camelot, Gunivere, I loved those stories.....However, it's been a long time since I was a kid, and this looks spectacularly bad, and I've hated about 85% of everything Ritchie has ever done, even his best work doesn't really hold up much.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Yeah this is bombing hard.

It's going to make less than the last king arthur film that also bombed.

People don't give a shyt about king arthur they should stop trying.

Matter of fact when's the last time a sword and sandal type film was even successful? 300?

This might not even make 100 million worldwide.

Lakerman0834

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yeah this is bombing hard.

It's going to make less than the last king arthur film that also bombed.

People don't give a shyt about king arthur they should stop trying.

Matter of fact when's the last time a sword and sandal type film was even successful? 300?

This might not even make 100 million worldwide.
these types of stories are better off as mini series on cable tv ala Last kingdom

Daps
Hunham's a terrible actor without range beyond "angry".

His accent kept slipping every time he shouted on SoA.

Nevertheless, Jax was a dope character until the last 2 seasons.

Man from Uncle wasn't that hot.

Story is done to death too.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Saw it tonight and while I know a lot of Coli brehs dug The Man From UNCLE, I thought it was severely flawed and this has all of the same issues. At its core there's an interesting story here, especially the way it unapologetically embraces mysticism. It doesn't (over)explain the magic which makes its presence feel more natural since you accept it as easy as the characters do. The problem is that as a director Ritchie has lost all sense of subtlety and just overindulges in style over substance. I'm sure editing also got in the way since a couple scenes feel like a mash-up montage to cut down running time. A particularly bad and pointless scene is the "Darklands", supposedly an important survival training for Arthur but what we get is a poorly edited 3 minute montage of him getting his ass kicked by shytty looking CGI animals.

Many other scenes lack dramatic gravitas as well and while you feel they had the right idea on paper, it just never comes to fruition in something that resonates with you. Add that all the action scenes are a mess of quickly edited close-up shaky cam and there's nothing to get from the action either. In fact, I saw this in 2D and mostly wondered how the hell they expect anyone to watch the movie's action in 3D and not get a headache.

Ironically, the one positive standout of this movie is also something it shares with The Man From Uncle, namely the soundtrack by Daniel Pemberton. Pemberton uses breathe sounds for heightened tension in a bunch of tracks which is just too fukking awesome but really, the whole soundtrack is ace. This man truly got next.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Just got back and I loved it.

Critics dead wrong again,shocking. :hubie:

This is the MOST guy ritchie film since rock n Rolla.

His style oozes through more than any other big budget film he's done. There's scenes in here that feel straight out of snatch or lock stock.

Jude Law is a wonderful scenery chewing nemesis.

Charlie hunham was actually really charming in the role,much better than he was in Pacific rim. It's hard not to be charming when guy ritchie wants you to be. I'd love to see him in a guy ritchie British crime film.

The music in this GOAT. Some of the best I've heard this year.

The use of breathing during the score paid off wonderfully after a particular action scene where the scene climaxes and the sound cuts out to just arthur heavy breathing.

On the negative side the first ~15 minutes is rough and just kind of throws you in the deep pool with no context. It later explains it but it's an awkward start.

The action itself lends itself to style over substance which can be annoying but it does have some breath taking shots at times.

Overall,if you love guy ritchie it will be hard not to get enjoyment out of it. Theres scenes in here that made me smile ear ti ear because I'm such a huge fan of his early work.

It's disappointing this isn't doing well because I would have loved to see sequels.

8/10