Grubb gets the call and clarifies what he means on Hi-Fi rush not meeting "Expectations"

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's in my GOTY list at the moment, but I believe that game is AA. Also, I don't think media and gamers ount games like that when talking about xbox reputation at the moment. I think they're looking at games like Redfall, Stafield, Hellblade, Avowed, Fable, etc.

I mean, its a game they didn’t even bother to release a physical copy of. Nintendo shadow dropped Metroid Prime and still released physical copies. Nothing screams non-tentpole like releasing your game without something for collectors or enthusiast.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
There is no such thing as games journalism. It's just an extension of publisher's advertising budget. If what you cover you rely on to get access to it then you can't really cover it. If you say something a publisher doesn't like your access is cut or worse. If you have to sign NDAs to cover something then you can't speak freely about it.

I know actual journalism has cooperate overlords as well but not like "game journalism" where those overloads are directly what the alleged journalist covers.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
There is no such thing as games journalism. It's just an extension of publisher's advertising budget. If what you cover you rely on to get access to it then you can't really cover it. If you say something a publisher doesn't like your access is cut or worse. If you have to sign NDAs to cover something then you can't speak freely about it.

I know actual journalism has cooperate overlords as well but not like "game journalism" where those overloads are directly what the alleged journalist covers.

This is an old lazy take.

Enthusiast press content like interviews with directors and execs is journalism, leaking work conditions/abuses to reporters and keeping sources is journalism, writing in depth descriptions of corporate culture and dev cycles is journalism. RockPaperShotgun, Polygon, GamesIndustry.biz, Digital Foundry and many others take ethics into account when they write a story or produce a video, no different from Hollywood Reporter or Film Comment. If you only pay attention to IGN or youtubers that's on you.

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I mean, its a game they didn’t even bother to release a physical copy of. Nintendo shadow dropped Metroid Prime and still released physical copies. Nothing screams non-tentpole like releasing your game without something for collectors or enthusiast.
Microsoft is weird with physical games tbh. They should at least do a limited run collector's edition for a game like that.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's in my GOTY list at the moment, but I believe that game is AA. Also, I don't think media and gamers count games like that when talking about xbox reputation at the moment. I think they're looking at games like Redfall, Stafield, Hellblade, Avowed, Fable, etc.
Which is a weird double standard for MS

The new zelda game is coming out and regardless of its being 30fps and 900p NO one would say it isn't a Triple A game.
HiFi rush is leaps and bounds over that.

It is what it is though, people have to present things a certain way I guess.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

The new zelda game is coming out and regardless of its being 30fps and 900p NO one would say it isn't a Triple A game.

the pitfalls of boasting about having the most powerful console ever :francis:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You always got some weird negative angle :stopitslime:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Its about treating your products like they’re something of value, not dropping it without marketing, not talking about it afterwards, not releasing physical copies of it, no press.

Zelda and Metroid can look like a 7th gen game and Nintendo will treat it like its the latest GTA and thats how other people treat it.

Microsoft have no clue how to sell a game at this point.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Key difference is Zelda is a household name, so standards will be different. Plus, Nintendo isn't known for power, so most people can look past graphics and performance. If we're looking at Switch this would be somewhat similar to how people view Bayonetta and Astral Chain. Both of those switch titles I mentioned didn't sell great, but critics loved and they were able to create fans out of the series.

At the end of the day, Microsoft's output will get compared to PlayStation since they create consoles that are close in power. It's why you rarely see people compare PlayStation's output to Nintendo since there is a huge power gap.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

eh, the performance and resolution is dependent on the hardware. a lot of 'AAA' games would run like that on the Switch

the 'AAA' distinction usually has to do with the budget. but when I tried to get people here to clarify what it means, I got a bunch of "you know what I mean :stopitslime:". and a lot of people do seem to think it has to do with graphics or whatever. but for instance, I wouldn't call that new photo realistic game "Unrecord" a 'AAA' game, even though it's got graphics we've never really seen

I would call Hi-Fi Rush 'AA'

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its about treating your products like they’re something of value, not dropping it without marketing, not talking about it afterwards, not releasing physical copies of it, no press.

Zelda and Metroid can look like a 7th gen game and Nintendo will treat it like its the latest GTA and thats how other people treat it.

Microsoft have no clue how to sell a game at this point.
At 1st it was no games, then it was no exclusives, now it's they don't know how to market or sell games.
Yall just got a rolodex of things to complain about while not even owning a system or playing the games, it's baffling :dahell:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Key difference is Zelda is a household name, so standards will be different. Plus, Nintendo isn't known for power, so most people can look past graphics and performance. If we're looking at Switch this would be somewhat similar to how people view Bayonetta and Astral Chain. Both of those switch titles I mentioned didn't sell great, but critics loved and they were able to create fans out of the series.

At the end of the day, Microsoft's output will get compared to PlayStation since they create consoles that are close in power. It's why you rarely see people compare PlayStation's output to Nintendo since there is a huge power gap.

I get that if everyone is just basing a triple a title on looks.. but if we talk money spent I'm inclined to say hifi rush cost more than half a million to create....

eh, the performance and resolution is dependent on the hardware. a lot of 'AAA' games would run like that on the Switch

the 'AAA' distinction usually has to do with the budget. but when I tried to get people here to clarify what it means, I got a bunch of "you know what I mean :stopitslime:". and a lot of people do seem to think it has to do with graphics or whatever. but for instance, I wouldn't call that new photo realistic game "Unrecord" a 'AAA' game, even though it's got graphics we've never really seen

I would call Hi-Fi Rush 'AA'
My idea of a double A games would be games like It takes two, sifu etc etc games what probably cost 20-60 mill to make and market. After that you in Triple A price range.

maybe Hifi only cost around that much to make and with no crazy marketing it's possible.