Grown-ish Official Thread

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Timeout. Timeout. Tiiiiiiiiiimeout. Of all there you say you watch and all the time you spend on twitter and wherever else you've never watched a single episode of either one? A different world is great but Cosby show is seriously one of the greatest shows of all time and incredibly influential and you've never even seen an episode just in passing?

Dawg after what bill Cosby did to set black women in Hollywood back single handedly.
By making it a precedent that black women of all educational backgrounds in the arts.
had to be subjected to a couch audition as a top NBC exec.
Historically is one of the most deplorable culture thief based motives and acts.
That occured in all of black history and all of actual black entertainment in the entire film industry's history.

He purposefully set black America back by making and creating a pseudo lifestyle.
that black America could never realistically reach.
Then holding us negatively accountable as a whole generation of youth as black men and women.
While also being a gatekeeper bassd culture thief culture misappropiating black culture into a fictional realm.
we could never reach because he was a gate keeper in the most profitable industry of film.
So, he purposefully eliminated us from being in film.
by using sex as a whole by couch auditioning black women.
Then also making the criteria to be a black actor.
so far out of the classically trained and valued realm no black man could partake in being able to revenue grab to rival white America.

fukk bill Cosby, he purposefully set back our entire race and ability to profit and produce revenue in film single handedly.

He may have used roman catholic protestant based sexual predator pro based laws to protect him from going to jail for rape.
Yet he is guilty of couch auditioning black women from accredited backgrounds purposefully before even civil rights and after civil rights for women were passed.

He is the top piece of shyt uncle Tom in the history of black America.
He is the guy working with the man to slut out our women and hold us down.

fukk bill cosby

Art Barr

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Like a lot of people already mentioned, I think the premise is dope but she was the least interesting in the show. Reminds me of my wife and kids how the older daughter was really not contributing a lot to the show there either.

Hopefully they punch up the lines for her on the new show or take the show in a less comedic direction.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Thats dope! It gives a younger generations, millennials a perspective of HBCUs. Wait, is she going to a HBCU?

I doubt it. The whole angle of Blackish is the contrast to white America.

Going to an HBCU would have basically no white ppl on it. It worked for "A Different World", but I dont know about this era

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Different world takes off from second season you can really skip the first

I like the first season of A Different World. Season 2 is where it takes off, but in comparison, it really does mimic the tone, lifestyle, attitude of students freshman year...and I'm talking direction of the show.

Plus, season 1 and her Cosby episodes centered around her, were built on her strengths as an actor. She had no clue what to do with herself, her life, lacked confidence...she was all over the place, so it worked.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Season 1 of A Different World had all sorts of problems (most notably the shytty writing and no real direction for the show) but one of the things that they did wrong that added to the show being bad was they took away all the quirks that made Denise Huxtable interesting. They just made her a generic freshman struggling with her studies and the character was much more than that on Cosby.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Season 1 of A Different World had all sorts of problems (most notably the shytty writing and no real direction for the show) but one of the things that they did wrong that added to the show being bad was they took away all the quirks that made Denise Huxtable interesting. They just made her a generic freshman struggling with her studies and the character was much more than that on Cosby.

That's what made it work in my opinion. Quirky character goes to college and becomes even more lost.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:patrice: I was just thinking Yesterday about how I need to finally get into "The Cosby Show" & "A Different World" after watching this video:

so this made you want to watch it?

Timeout. Timeout. Tiiiiiiiiiimeout. Of all there you say you watch and all the time you spend on twitter and wherever else you've never watched a single episode of either one? A different world is great but Cosby show is seriously one of the greatest shows of all time and incredibly influential and you've never even seen an episode just in passing?

Soooooo......... Are "The Cosby Show" & "A Different World" on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, or something else?

I've been watching this New Edition music video from 1989 non-stop this week.....

& it's got me fiending for some late 80's/early 90's black pop culture seeing all the cameos from celebrities (Including Malcolm Jamal Warner) in this video. So I might as well finally get into "The Cosby Show".

While we at it, what was Robert Townsend famous for back in 1989? I only know him from being the dad on "The Parent 'Hood".

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Soooooo......... Are "The Cosby Show" & "A Different World" on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, or something else?

I've been watching this New Edition music video from 1989 non-stop this week.....

& it's got me fiending for some late 80's/early 90's black pop culture seeing all the cameos from celebrities (Including Malcolm Jamal Warner) in this video. So I might as well finally get into "The Cosby Show".

While we at it, what was Robert Townsend famous for back in 1989? I only know him from being the dad on "The Parent 'Hood".

A different world is on Netflix. Cosby got snatched off most streaming sites

And he was famous for Hollywood shuffle. Breh you gotta get out the cave

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Kenya Barris has had a tremendous last 24 months in terms of all the high profile projects (both film and TV) he’s become attached to, likely thanks in large part to the critical and commercial success of his hit ABC comedy series “Black-Ish,” which is now in its 3rd year and continues to perform well for the network.

The series centers on an upper-middle-class African American family, following their various trials and triumphs. Yara Shahidi, Marcus Scribner, Miles Brown, Marsai Martin, Jeff Meacham, Jenifer Lewis, and Peter Mackenzie round out the key cast.

Reported in January, ABC is spinning off “Black-Ish” with series creator/executive producer Barris and ABC Studios working together on the project, which will star Yara Shahidi, focusing on her character, oldest child Zoey Johnson, who goes off to college… or “A Different World 2.0” as many enthusiastically took to calling it when it was first announced.

Zoey Johnson, Dre (Anthony Anderson) and Rainbow’s (Tracee Ellis Ross) 17-year-old daughter is the popular, entitled, stylish, and socially active member of the Johnson family. She is typically apathetic to any dealings with her family and is treated as the most perfect teenager, despite her generally shallow personality.

Talks on the potential spin-off were in very early stages when the idea first became public 3 months ago, but it looks like ABC is moving ahead with it, as additional casting announcements were made this week.

Specifically, Trevor Jackson (ABC’s “American Crime”), Chris Parnell (“Saturday Night Live”) and Matt Walsh (“Veep”) have all booked roles opposite Yara Shahidi in the proposed “Black-ish” spinoff, playing a college freshman (and classmate to Zoey/Shahidi), and a pair of college administrators, respectively.

All three will first appear as guest stars in an episode of “Black-ish” in what will serve as a back-door pilot for the potential spin-off series, with filming to take place this spring.

For a series in “Black-ish” that some have called a 21st century version of “The Cosby Show,” a spin-off that’s centered around a daughter who goes off to college, certainly feels apropos here.

As for busy Barris, in addition to his work on “Black-Ish,” he’s also developing a remake of the 1992 film “White Men Can’t Jump”; and he has remakes of “Shaft,” a big screen adaptation of “Good Times” and much more on his to-do list.