Gotham Nights is proof “Cross/next gen” is a marketing farce.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So every gen we get this Debate over Cross/next gen games.

The conventional thinking is that game that release on both generations are inherently “held back” and not officially “next gen”. They would be better off if the last gen version did not exist.

There’s plenty of examples of why this way of thinking is wrong. Gotham Knights is just the most recent and glaring example.

The game was first announced as “cross gen” which led to a collective sigh by gamers cause cross gen games are bad. The game would undoubtedly be held back by last gen systems.

Eventually the devs announced the last gen versions were scrapped cause their game was so “next gen” the last gen consoles couldn’t keep up. This move was applauded by gamers, people were ecstatic about finally getting a “true next gen game”:mjlol:

Off jump this should kill the “last gen holds games back” narrative because if that were true devs would start with the Last gen version and just port it up to next gen. It’s clear this is not how game dev works. Devs go with their vision of the best the game can be, then they spend all their time trying to make that vision fit into current available hardware. But anyway, we move on.

The game comes out

and it ultimately looks and performs worse than it’s last gen predecessor from 7 years ago. :wow:

But how sway??? I thought being next gen only would allow the game to shine brighter than very few games have thus far. What Gives????:dahell:

I’ll tell you what gives…..Marketing gives people these false narratives to run with. They gotta sell new hardware so they say stuff like “next gen will offer brand new experiences unachievable on last gen hardware” “we believe in generations” and so on.

People eat that up and run out to buy new hardware and now they gotta believe the “next gen” farce cause otherwise they wasted their money.:smh:

So far this gen it’s been “cross gen” games that have really shown off the capabilities of the new hardware. While “next gen only” games have only served as marketing tools to sell hardware and fan fanboy wars.

Gotham knights is just a shyt game, with a shyt engine, and shyt devs working on it. With a shyt budget.

Cross/next gen means absolutely nothing. It’s all about dev skills, goals and resources.

WAKE UP!!!!!

And thanks for attending my Ted Talk:youngsabo:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

this ended up getting scrapped cuz the xbox couldn't handle it.

the idea was later realized on more powerful hardware with ODST on the 360.

2. had halo 2 been cross gen, it woulda had better graphics, frame rate, etc on the 360, but would have lacked the above demo gameplay, because you woulda had to build an entirely new version just for the 360 to get it to run right, therefore making it a different game.

3. just because one dev pushed out a junk game doesnt mean more powerful hardware cant provide experiences older hardware couldn't handle. old hardware can and does hold back games when you have to design for that base hardware to run.

4. Rift Apart woulda had a seizure on the PS4 when changing environments on the fly. prolly why its ps5 only.

5. threads like these are why I call you MeachTheMoron. do better.

Last edited:

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
I guarantee you mismanagement is absolutely to be blamed for this one being messy. The MTX shyt, the menus, all the RPG elements, announcing cancelling the last gen versions like four months out from release. Devs were probably fumbling over shifting goal posts and design decisions whole way through dev. It's WB Montreal I bet they probably rotating ppl on like 4 different projects too.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
4. Rift Apart woulda had a seizure on the PS4 when changing environments on the fly. prolly why its ps5 only.

Returnal too with its RNG with the level design.

Otherwise everything else that released this generation could be done on last gen hardware if you scaled back the resolution / LOD

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

this ended up getting scrapped cuz the xbox couldn't handle it.

the idea was later realized on more powerful hardware with ODST on the 360.

2. had halo 2 been cross gen, it woulda had better graphics, frame rate, etc on the 360, but would have lacked the above demo gameplay, because you woulda had to build an entirely new version just for the 360 to get it to run right, therefore making it a different game.

3. just because one dev pushed out a junk game doesnt mean more powerful hardware cant provide experiences older hardware couldn't handle. old hardware can and does hold back games when you have to design for that base hardware to run.

5. threads like these are why I call you MeachTheMoron. do better.

1. Using an E3 demo that was probably faked to prove anything is dumb. I said the “cross gen debate” was more about marketing than technicals and this nikka really went out and got a marketing video to prove me wrong :dead:

2. Random hypotheticals conjured up in your head. In the past. Two separate games would have to be made because the hardware/software platform changed profusely. Now we move from like to like hardware/software platforms where everything just gets a bit faster. Games can and do scale across multiple generations now.

3. Never said more powerful hardware could not provide experiences other hardware can’t. Obviously there comes a point where more powerful hardware will leave behind weaker hardware. It’s just not some rigid cutoff dictated by which “generation” a game comes out. Most times cross gen or not is dictated by promotional and marketing needs, not technical ones. I.E. Sony needs to sell you on a PS5 so they chose a couple of the less popular games to sell as “next gen” while keeping the big stuff “cross gen” so they can cash in on the popularity of those franchises.

4. More hypotheticals made up in your mind. PS4 would have just taken a couple extra seconds to transition. This is that marketing i told you about. They needed to sell this game as “next gen” to sell you a playstation. In reality Ratchet isn’t doing anything that couldn’t be done on PS4. The shyt just loads faster:stopitslime:

5. I actually know what I’m talking about instead of just parroting the stories Devs/publishers have sold.

nikka really posted a E3 demo as proof of some shyt :mjlol:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Returnal too with its RNG with the level design.

Otherwise everything else that released this generation could be done on last gen hardware if you scaled back the resolution / LOD
Stop it.

Y’all really drunk that sony koolaid. Returnal is somehow more advanced than GOW just cause they didn’t make a PS4 port :mjlol:

Returnal coming to PC i’d bet any amount of money the game will run on much weaker hardware than PS5 and without an SSD.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I guarantee you mismanagement is absolutely to be blamed for this one being messy. The MTX shyt, the menus, all the RPG elements, announcing cancelling the last gen versions like four months out from release. Devs were probably fumbling over shifting goal posts and design decisions whole way through dev. It's WB Montreal I bet they probably rotating ppl on like 4 different projects too.
Sure the devs fukked up, but that doesn’t disprove the premise of this thread.

Games are not built from the lowest spec and ported up. It’s the other way around.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Stop it.

Y’all really drunk that sony koolaid. Returnal is somehow more advanced than GOW just cause they didn’t make a PS4 port :mjlol:

Returnal coming to PC i’d bet any amount of money the game will run on much weaker hardware than PS5 and without an SSD.

Did you even play the game? Cause you would easily see why it wouldn't work on PS4.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
The game has load times. What do you think that translation is between portals?

PS4 would have just taken a bit longer for the transitions.

No shyt if you replace that 1 second animation with a 30 second loading screen then the portals work on PS4 :what:

But then you can't do all the instant back and forth world jumping in those set pieces later in the game.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No shyt if you replace that 1 second animation with a 30 second loading screen then the portals work on PS4 :what:

But then you can't do all the instant back and forth world jumping in those set pieces later in the game.

Meach the type of dude to be like if you remove practically everything that makes a game better and functional on a strong platform, it can work on a weaker platform. So GTA 6 can be developed for the Nintendo DS since all you have to do is lower the resolution to 120p, framerate to 18fps, reduce pedestrian and traffic density, remove graphical features and it'll end up working fine.

He should be a vegan chef. He can turn ribs vegan by removing the meat and bones and just giving you the plate with sauce.