Google Chromebook Appreciation Thread

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I got one and I feel like it's garbage. it runs kind of slow and was slow literally the first day I got it free from FIOS.

Well there ya go:francis:. Usually "free" chromebooks are basura as all hell. I'm talking Intel Atom 8 gb of space territory.

Get one of them cheap Dell jawns with the M3 and you should be straight:ehh:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I keep leaning more and more toward the Chromebook wave whenever I get around to replacing my personal computer. Just not sure what specs I need.
I posted this in the other Chromebook thread:

In my experience, I think of it like this:

Chromebooks are priced like phones in 2019. There is a $200 difference between a good device and a great device, and $200 difference between a great device and an amazing device. For example:

Low Tier - $100-300
Perfectly great for surfing the web and watching Netflix. There are some trade-offs as the hardware will get in the way in terms of user experience a bit perhaps but typically only if you are nit-picky about things like how the keyboard keys 'feel' or whether the display has poor viewing angles from the side. Also, if you constantly have +10 tabs open, your Chromebook may start to slow down. The phone equivalent are those BLU phones you can buy off of Amazon... not very sexy but they get the job done.

Medium Tier - $300-500
These Chromebooks embody the Chromebook experience at a lower price. Compared to the Low Tier, they have better hardware across the board and are often seen with a combination of better displays, touchscreen capabilities, 360 degree hinges or backlit keyboards. Some medium tier Chromebooks can hold their own against premium devices. The phone equivalent are OnePlus phones that used to be flagship phones @ mid-range prices.

High Tier - +$500
These are the cutting edge of ChromeOS and include things like fingerprint scanners, best-in-class design and and processor/RAM combinations that can currently only be challenged when using power intensive Linux programs. These are ideal if you want to make a statement with your device or if you need a lot of extra RAM for the future. This is the equivalent of an iPhone11 or a Samsung Note 10 Plus.

Here is an even shorter cheat sheet
Plan on using Linux? - Get a model with at least 4GB of RAM & a Core m3
Don't plan on using Linux? - Focus on whatever is a top seller on Amazon and you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I posted this in the other Chromebook thread:

In my experience, I think of it like this:

Chromebooks are priced like phones in 2019. There is a $200 difference between a good device and a great device, and $200 difference between a great device and an amazing device. For example:

Low Tier - $100-300
Perfectly great for surfing the web and watching Netflix. There are some trade-offs as the hardware will get in the way in terms of user experience a bit perhaps but typically only if you are nit-picky about things like how the keyboard keys 'feel' or whether the display has poor viewing angles from the side. Also, if you constantly have +10 tabs open, your Chromebook may start to slow down. The phone equivalent are those BLU phones you can buy off of Amazon... not very sexy but they get the job done.

Medium Tier - $300-500
These Chromebooks embody the Chromebook experience at a lower price. Compared to the Low Tier, they have better hardware across the board and are often seen with a combination of better displays, touchscreen capabilities, 360 degree hinges or backlit keyboards. Some medium tier Chromebooks can hold their own against premium devices. The phone equivalent are OnePlus phones that used to be flagship phones @ mid-range prices.

High Tier - +$500
These are the cutting edge of ChromeOS and include things like fingerprint scanners, best-in-class design and and processor/RAM combinations that can currently only be challenged when using power intensive Linux programs. These are ideal if you want to make a statement with your device or if you need a lot of extra RAM for the future. This is the equivalent of an iPhone11 or a Samsung Note 10 Plus.

Here is an even shorter cheat sheet
Plan on using Linux? - Get a model with at least 4GB of RAM & a Core m3
Don't plan on using Linux? - Focus on whatever is a top seller on Amazon and you can't go wrong.

Out of all the Google Chrome heads on YouTube, Chrome Unboxed comes off genuine and not a pompous ass about Chromebooks. He gives fair reviews and even :whoa:at some of the models that came out. As far as the high tier Chromebook models, people look at the price and go :dahell:"its just a Chromebook", but fail to realize that most of the apps are damn near reaching 8gb territory and some folks pretty much have to do heavy duty "Macbook" shyt, but don't want to spend heavy duty Macbook shyt money :why:. Like these two twin brothers that came to my job asking for a PC that doesn't have any viruses and can be able to play music/movies. I told them straight up that you can get a virus on any PC, now if you want something pretty legit as far as security is concerned, Chromebook is where its at. The dad was seriously wanting me to stop them from getting Macbooks. I had one of the brothers convinced, while the other one was like :ld:to the Chromebook.

Me and the rep was like :why::snoop:, the damn Chromebooks we were selling them was damn near thousand dollar territory with a 500 dollar price tag.

• I3 to I5
  • 8gb of ram
  • 1080p
  • 64 gb
I mean the jawn looked marvelous but the dude was like, I don't like the color :hhh::francis:

Like I said, Chromebooks came a long way and honestly one of those hidden gem type of things due to the fact that now you can run linux on the laptops :wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well there ya go:francis:. Usually "free" chromebooks are basura as all hell. I'm talking Intel Atom 8 gb of space territory.

Get one of them cheap Dell jawns with the M3 and you should be straight:ehh:
It's this one
61g6V104G0L._SL1000_.jpg

shyt feels slow. I literally haven't touched it in over a week because it doesn't do anything good. The keyboard feels cheap to use, the screen looks like the screen from an old ass clamshell macbook and I think the network card is pretty crappy on there. I can't stream games to this chromebook without it lagging while my phone runs perfectly.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
It's this one
61g6V104G0L._SL1000_.jpg

shyt feels slow. I literally haven't touched it in over a week because it doesn't do anything good. The keyboard feels cheap to use, the screen looks like the screen from an old ass clamshell macbook and I think the network card is pretty crappy on there. I can't stream games to this chromebook without it lagging while my phone runs perfectly.

Yeah those are the ones that we were selling for 90 and 120 :francis:. Folks were all breaking their necks for this computer and I'm like :dwillhuh:why?

Daps
Bought a low tier Chromebook about two months ago. Was debating between a laptop and a Chromebook. Glad I chose the Chromebook . It's a 2- 1 . Touchscreen can be used like a tablet , lenovo. Paid around 3 bills. I love it. The quick start up and how easy it is to download apps.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah those are the ones that we were selling for 90 and 120 :francis:. Folks were all breaking their necks for this computer and I'm like :dwillhuh:why?
I power washed mines again and tried it out more. It works better if I avoid the apps that cause it to crash like parsec or whatever. I tried using Moonlight to stream my desktop games to the CB and weirdly enough tht Android version works fine while the Google extension in CB has insane lag. I think I'll start to use it more.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
i was looking into Chromebooks to use Linux on , but haven't heard good things about it.
I was looking for one for the same thing(don't want to have to carry my macbook with me everywhere) but have not heard good things. Every place I looked has said to get a laptop build for linux. Did you have better luck?

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
How To Go Full-Time Chromebook, Save Money, And Ditch The MacBook And Windows 10

How To Go Full-Time Chromebook, Save Money, And Ditch The MacBook And Windows 10

Brooke CrothersContributor
Consumer Tech
I cover and review consumer tech
Pixelbook Go, run all of the Android apps I use on my Android phones.

But key legacy (desktop) apps are also available on a Chromebook:

Take Microsoft Office. It runs on my Chromebook in much the same way it does on my MacBook and Windows laptops — as a standalone application with floating, overlapping windows. And Microsoft’s OneDrive (a file hosting service) is also compatible with Chrome OS.

In fact, pretty much any app will run in a floating window just like on Windows 10 or macOS, making it easy to jump from app to app. That wasn’t always the case, so Chrome has evolved, in some ways, into more of a desktop OS while maintaining its minimalist pedigree.

Today In: Innovation
Any desktop software available as a Web version is available to the Chromebook:

And a very important point that many forget: any Windows applications — or any app for that matter — with a desktop Web version that runs in the Chrome browser will of course run on a Chromebook.

PROMOTED

What about Photo editing apps?

This can be a hurdle for users wedded to a Windows or a MacBook photo editor. The good news is, the memory muscle you use for those editors can be tweaked (in a couple of days) for Chrome OS apps like Pixlr, Polarr, and Adobe Photoshop Express, among others.

Also, Apple iCloud photos and photos on Microsoft’s OneDrive can be accessed from the Chrome browser on a Chromebook.

Google has its own way of storing photos, aka Google Photos. Not better or worse than Windows or macOS, just different.

Secure: no constant update hassles like Windows or macOS

The Chromebook platform is secure, stable, and self-maintains. The latter makes a big difference. You're not constantly hassled by updates and reboots. Pretty much everything is taken care of in the background.

Chrome OS + Chromebook = Efficiency

Chromebooks age well. My 2018 Pixel Slate with a "slow" (ultra-low-power) Intel Y series processor runs Chrome OS as fast as my newest late-2019 8th Gen quad-core laptops run Windows 10.

Chromebooks don’t need to be tricked out with the fastest CPUs, lots of RAM, and the biggest SSDs to run fast. Chromebooks can be outfitted with power-sipping Intel processors, 8GB of RAM, and a 128GB SSD. On the other hand, most of my Windows 10 laptops now come with at least 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSDs and quad-core 8th gen processors. Yes, the newest Windows 10 laptops are fast but so is the older Pixel Slate.

And that's the point. Chrome OS is more efficient than Windows.

The hardware:

I’ve been using the new 13-inch Google Pixelbook Go* for the last couple of months and I’m left to wonder if Google hasn’t passed Apple and Windows 1o laptop vendors on thin-and-light laptop design.

The Go is remarkably light at 2.4 pounds, 158 grams lighter than the MacBook Air. (But, again, a lot of Google’s goodness isn’t in the hardware but in Chrome OS.)

My unit, priced at $849, has an Intel Core i5 8th gen processor, 8GB RAM, 128GB of storage, two USB-C ports, and full HD (1,920-by-1,080) display. The $649 model has a Core m3 chip and 64GB of storage.

For the performance you get, that’s $500 to $800 cheaper than a quick, high-quality Windows laptop or MacBook.

Caveat — highly specialized applications and other Windows- or Mac-only software:

There are plenty of examples of specialized applications like video editors, as just one example, that run only on Windows 1o or macOS. That could also apply to certain industries/businesses that run legacy Windows applications. Those professionals or workers with specialized needs won’t necessarily be needing or wanting a Chromebook.

And diehard Windows and Mac users will never switch to a Chromebook. There’s nothing wrong with that but many of those diehards might find, with a little experimentation, that a Chromebook is a better fit for their needs.

Price:

This is the argument that sways most consumers. Chromebooks are inexpensive. Period. Many Chromebooks are between $400 and $600, while pricier models (like the Pixelbook Go) start at $649 and the upper mid-range is about $850.

——

NOTES:

*The 2019 Pixelbook Go is a traditional clamshell laptop. The 2018 Pixel Slate is tablet the can be configured with a Google Slate keyboard, which, in effect, turns it into a laptop.

960x0.jpg

Pixel Slate with Slate keyboard.

CREDIT: GOOGLE