Golden Globes 2016

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't find her funny at all. The problem with your argument is that a lot of people have fanbases that we shyt on. What if dude just thinks that she is not up to par? A lot of people grind. It's like people mention that Amy grinded as a means of deflecting from her being mediocre. Trent Dilfer worked as hard as Tom Brady. But he's not him. Her push does seem forced, in the sense that there are a lot of things that I don't like that people support that I can see the talent in. She just falls short. But hey :manny:

:manny: My only point is different strokes for different folks. We can't say every time someone is on that we don't like that they're being pushed or someone is behind it. It's like some wwe shyt and we assume Vince is behind everything

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
:manny: My only point is different strokes for different folks. We can't say every time someone is on that we don't like that they're being pushed or someone is behind it. It's like some wwe shyt and we assume Vince is behind everything
Yeah, I understand. But a lot of the reasons why people are popping are often corny and have more to do with the person/their politics than the talent. Amy Schumer has that whole "I'm comfortable in my own skin despite being overweight and unattractive" vibe that is going to work in this current "feminist" Hollywood era. That has more to do with your politics and person than your talent. It's like how Girls has been on for so long despite most people thinking that show is trash.

Side note: Lady Gaga won a Golden Globe? Did I see that right? :snoop:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah, I understand. But a lot of the reasons why people are popping are often corny and have more to do with the person/their politics than the talent. Amy Schumer has that whole "I'm comfortable in my own skin despite being overweight and unattractive" vibe that is going to work in this current "feminist" Hollywood era. That has more to do with your politics and person than your talent. It's like how Girls has been on for so long despite most people thinking that show is trash.

Side note: Lady Gaga won a Golden Globe? Did I see that right? :snoop:

Well and I guess since that aligns with my politics, I really dont care:manny: to me, if a big group of people can identify with her, specifically women, and she gives them a voice or just speaks to something they can relate to, good for her and good for them. And again, when we say "most people" we're talking about our circle or the coli and that's shortsighted. E.g., when I was in college, Dane Cook was doing his thing and I never thought he was funny. Ever. But I knew cats in college who swore by him and loved everything he did. My circle of friends? Not so much, but I understood my circle of friends isnt the end all be all and talent is subjective. Not everyone is going to agree with me nor do I expect them to. Especially when it comes to comedy which is the most subjective thing next to horror

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps

I always knew he was one of those type of ppl dating back to the contender reality show. You are winning an award for the 1st time since the 70s and you are going to forget to mention the writer/director that made it possible (fuk micheal b jordan) nah that ain't an accident. Dude is a piece of shyt

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Well and I guess since that aligns with my politics, I really dont care:manny: to me, if a big group of people can identify with her, specifically women, and she gives them a voice or just speaks to something they can relate to, good for her and good for them. And again, when we say "most people" we're talking about our circle or the coli and that's shortsighted. E.g., when I was in college, Dane Cook was doing his thing and I never thought he was funny. Ever. But I knew cats in college who swore by him and loved everything he did. My circle of friends? Not so much, but I understood my circle of friends isnt the end all be all and talent is subjective. Not everyone is going to agree with me nor do I expect them to. Especially when it comes to comedy which is the most subjective thing next to horror
When I was 18 years old Nas dropped "Untitled." I remember that I did not like that album, and it surprised me because I was a big Nas fan. I just thought the album was boring. That's when I realized that I already knew all the stuff he was talking about so the music wasn't going to move me unless it I was good in and of itself. Music being relatable does not mean much to me unless it is good. I judge everything that way. If you like Schumer just say that breh, this is not an interrogation :russ:. I am a complete progressive and the type of person who would be labeled a feminist and have no problem saying that I think Supergirl is a corny show. The thing is, even if you're not a fan of something, you can see if it's done at a high-level. That's how I judge things. What was your goal? How has this been done historically? What standards of excellence have been achieved in this arena? How original are you? And did you execute it well? If you really think Schumer is executing that angle at a high-level then more power to you, but the "she has lots of fans" argument is something I think you're too smart to make. A lot of things have been popular that we look back on in hindsight with embarrassment.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
When I was 18 years old Nas dropped "Untitled." I remember that I did not like that album, and it surprised me because I was a big Nas fan. I just thought the album was boring. That's when I realized that I already knew all the stuff he was talking about so the music wasn't going to move me unless it I was good in and of itself. Music being relatable does not mean much to me unless it is good. I judge everything that way. If you like Schumer just say that breh, this is not an interrogation :russ:. I am a complete progressive and the type of person who would be labeled a feminist and have no problem saying that I think Supergirl is a corny show. The thing is, even if you're not a fan of something, you can see if it's done at a high-level. That's how I judge things. What was your goal? How has this been done historically? What standards of excellence have been achieved in this arena? How original are you? And did you execute it well? If you really think Schumer is executing that angle at a high-level then more power to you, but the "she has lots of fans" argument is something I think you're too smart to make.

What I'm saying is, I understand that everything isnt going to appeal to me breh and I'm perfectly fine with that. That's my main point. I thought Dane Cook was terrible on every level but I also understood that he isn't for me despite my opinions of him. And I guess because I liked Trainwreck I'm willing to cut her more slack than other cats on here. I'm not using the "she has lots of fans" argument. I'm using the everything is subjective argument and since I know women who fukk with her hard, I get it. So it's not me defending her as much as its me trying to understand the mindset that says if i dont like it, it must be some conspiracy and agenda being pushed down my throat because theres no way anyone else on the planet could possibly like this thing that I dont like. She's just the current example :russ: that's it. It's the same argument I have with one of my boys about Drake. Neither one of us fukk with him at all, but he likes to believe that the world moves the way he thinks and the way he feels rather than understanding the world is a lot bigger than his opinions and just because he or I don't fukk with Drake, doesn't mean there arent others that do fukk with him. I told him the world doesnt revolve around him and what he likes or doesnt like

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Amy Schumer falls into the same silver spoon-fed, wealthy New York family category as Lena Dunham and Kate and Rooney Mara. all of their families are extremely wealthy and very well connected and that is the reason for their success. Schumer's grandfather is a powerful United States senator, Dunham's family has the NY media in their back pocket, and the Mara sisters great grandfather's founded both the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers.

must be nice to just wake up one day and say "I want to be famous" and all you have to do is half ass apply yourself and ask your daddy to make a phone call:pachaha:

But when Will Smith tries to put Jaden on everybody wants to scream about Nepotism:mjpls:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
What I'm saying is, I understand that everything isnt going to appeal to me breh and I'm perfectly fine with that. That's my main point. I thought Dane Cook was terrible on every level but I also understood that he isn't for me despite my opinions of him. And I guess because I liked Trainwreck I'm willing to cut her more slack than other cats on here. I'm not using the "she has lots of fans" argument. I'm using the everything is subjective argument and since I know women who fukk with her hard, I get it. So it's not me defending her as much as its me trying to understand the mindset that says if i dont like it, it must be some conspiracy and agenda being pushed down my throat because theres no way anyone else on the planet could possibly like this thing that I dont like. She's just the current example :russ: that's it. It's the same argument I have with one of my boys about Drake. Neither one of us fukk with him at all, but he likes to believe that the world moves the way he thinks and the way he feels rather than understanding the world is a lot bigger than his opinions and just because he or I don't fukk with Drake, doesn't mean there arent others that do fukk with him. I told him the world doesnt revolve around him and what he likes or doesnt like
You know what it is? I came in with an entirely different argument and I think you think I'm defending that other dude's conspiracy opinion. I was actually disagreeing with that and explaining her angle. So I don't even think we're necessarily disagreeing. My female friends think she and Lena Dunham are trash so I can hate on them with a clear conscience lol. Especially Dunham, man do they hate her :russ:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the amount of :cape:that goes on in threads like this is ridiculous. It's not a good look. "Yoooo, y'all see that black waiter as they were cutting to commercial?! :mindblown: figures the help be black during the Cac Awards!"

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You know what it is? I came in with an entirely different argument and I think you think I'm defending that other dude's conspiracy opinion. I was actually disagreeing with that and explaining her angle. So I don't even think we're necessarily disagreeing. My female friends think she and Lena Dunham are trash so I can hate on them with a clear conscience lol. Especially Dunham, man do they hate her :russ:

Oh so we're on the same page then. :laff: well my female friends like Amy but can't stand Lena. Except my best friends wife, she's into Lena and I don't get why but whatever. She reminds me of Dane Cook so much. And now that I think about it, I do have one male friend who's into Lena's show and he's always trying to put us on. nah I'm good:coffee: he even wanted to model a pilot after her show but for guys

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I just read this entire thread from beginning to end.

80% of it was :russ:

The last 20%, though? :scust:

I don't like Amy Schumer myself, but some people take this shyt way too personally.

It's called a moment - she's having one - relax.
I can see why though. Like I get when Kanye is mad about the Grammys. I personally don't care, but for him it's validation the way Taraji was acting today. People care about the art man. When they feel like someone is robbing someone else there will be disagreements. It's like telling people to not care if JJ Watt somehow beats Cam Newton for MVP this year. There's nothing wrong with discussion as long as it doesn't turn nasty. I always prefer people who think about why things are the way they are :manny:. The Coli's problem is people are always on this cac this and that angle. Sometimes things are just much simpler. You cannot tell people what to relate to.