Global IT outages due to Crowdstrike got the whole world shook up (The FAA has grounded flights from Delta, United and AA)

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Crowdstrike has lost a fifth of its value in pre-market trading in the US - down 21% in unofficial trading.

If confirmed when US stock markets open later today, that is a loss of $16 billion in its overnight valuation.

Industry insiders say the problem is centred on the fact that cloud security companies have very high level privileges to update the core systems of their customers.

When this works, it helps protect their systems. When an attempted update fails, it brings down the systems they are supposed to protect, all at once.

While the fix is in theory, simple - updating systems physically from backup disks - in practice this is now more difficult in a cloud computing world. G

Governments face serious questions about how resilient our economic infrastructure is to this sort of epic failure.

Does it make sense to allow significant concentration on one company or product?
:russ: weren't y'all laughing a couple weeks back that Japan still uses physical media, especially 3.5" floppy disks 😭

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The computers definitely aint puttin' today. :mjlol:

A lot of our systems are down too.

This could put Crowdstrike out of business.
It's an exec at my company wanting to know how we can not deal with crowdstrike going forward :lolbron:

This also implies that they pushed this to all their production systems at once. Cause shyt went from not broke to broke across the world in like 30 seconds :mjlol:

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's an exec at my company wanting to know how we can not deal with crowdstrike going forward :lolbron:

This also implies that they pushed this to all their production systems at once. Cause shyt went from not broke to broke across the world in like 30 seconds :mjlol:
Hold on, they didn't test this on non-prod systems first? 🤦🏿

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Hope this ain’t one of those companies that decided laying mad people off would be better than having people there who know what they’re doing to stop shyt like this.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA

Stay strong today, my 6 cert brethren :sas1:

Today will suck for some. For others, chaos is a ladder :sas2: