Ghostbusters getting rebooted again

Geordi

All Star
Daps
Looks decent but its annoying how they remake all these 80s movies for kids now like Coming to America. Shyt is supposed to be grimey with adult humor and the kids/teens watching would like it too

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The plan was to always pass the torch on to a younger team I never thought it would be kids in their early teens though

My personal idea for GB revival was basically taking the concept from Extreme Ghostbusters with Ray being the teacher/mentor to a group of young adults. This is a bit too young lol I hope there is a time skip at the end or something.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
Welcome to sanitized Hollywood :francis:

I understand why they did a small town setting (budget, easier to film, maybe COVID)...but i need some big city vibes

I think that 'next generation' & 'pass on to kids' is the biggest cop out ever.. especially when they're young like that

I was a kid during the 80s watching the adult OGs

On the plus side... can't be any worse than this..

CA2019.jpg

Last edited:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
The problem isn't the comedy or the kids...its that Ghostbusters came with an atmosphere, damn near coming close to being an avant garde noir comedy. It was a movie about four would-be(not not so close) geniuses, who are out on their luck and need money....in New York, which is such a perfectly new york trope. Everybody smoked, no one had a six pack, and they kinda just diy every scenario. That chemistry and setting is very hard to duplicate. Either they make it all about girl power, or they make it all about kids. It can never be grounded in some adult reality....with maybe some kids in the back.

The other problem being; America loves betting on kids and coming of age stories....almost as much as Japan. But here it doesn't work, these aren't the offspring of said New York legends. Its a couple of kids with Paul Rudd slapped on because he's deemed "funny".

humminbird

Veteran
Daps

I understand why they did a small town setting (budget, easier to film, maybe COVID)...but i need some big city vibes

I think that 'next generation' & 'pass on to kids' is the biggest cop out ever.. especially when they're young like that

CA2019.jpg
Ella balinska made that film worth it though:banderas:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

CA2019.jpg
This is off on a tangent, but I hate how Hollywood expects us to buy into the notion that women like this can fight, be bad ass, and beat up men that are bigger and stronger than them---and none of the 3 women in this picture look like they weight more than 120 lbs. And honestly 120 lbs might be generous of me.

If Hollywood really wants to be about that empowering female life, then they should make some of the women do some powerlifting or crossfit or something to prepare for some of these roles. And yeah, I know they all "know martial arts" but women that actually do MMA and martial arts aren't built like this either.

All 3 of these new Charlie's Angels are built like coat hangers. :dead:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
The problem isn't the comedy or the kids...its that Ghostbusters came with an atmosphere, damn near coming close to being an avant garde noir comedy. It was a movie about four would-be(not not so close) geniuses, who are out on their luck and need money....in New York, which is such a perfectly new york trope. Everybody smoked, no one had a six pack, and they kinda just diy every scenario. That chemistry and setting is very hard to duplicate. Either they make it all about girl power, or they make it all about kids. It can never be grounded in some adult reality....with maybe some kids in the back.

The other problem being; America loves betting on kids and coming of age stories....almost as much as Japan. But here it doesn't work, these aren't the offspring of said New York legends. Its a couple of kids with Paul Rudd slapped on because he's deemed "funny".
I mean the coming of age story is probably the only genre that rivals the “making it in the city” genre. But no one has really been able to do since Spielberg. Now it’s more YA fantasy than Goonies.

That version of New York that Ghostbusters and Coming to America used doesn’t exist anymore.

To do anything close to that today would be a raunchy Superbad or Royal Tenenbaum ( Wes Andersen is the only person I think could make a GB movie close without aping the original) that most people wouldn’t recognize as Ghostbusters

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

they really caught lightning in a bottle with the original Ghostbusters, its going to be nearly impossible to recreate that magic. they also had Bill Murray at his absolute peak coming off of Caddyshack & Stripes, he carries a lot of the comedic weight that adds such an important edge to the movie. its really just a perfect movie tbh