Get Out (2017)

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The Armitages aren’t creating slaves; they’re doing something that’s in a way even worse. Slaves are, at the very least, conscious of their situation and can, at least theoretically, if the opportunity arises, revolt. What the Armitages are creating is inwardly whitened black people—black people cut off from their history and their self-consciousness and, therefore, deprived of the power to rebel and to free themselves.

Peele’s furious, comically precise lampooning targets two intersecting strains of racism. The Armitages’ friends see Chris’s blackness; they don’t see Chris, but they at least perceive that blackness as a fact, a phenomenon, albeit one that they have no idea how to deal with. The impeccably liberal Armitages, by contrast, are color-blind; in their cosmopolitan embrace, they affirm, with the best of intentions, that there’s no difference between blacks and whites, thus, in effect, denying that blackness—the distinctive black experience—is real. Rose even brings the matter directly into the film, asking Chris, “With all that ‘my man’ stuff, how are they different from that cop?”—the cop who had requested Chris’s I.D. when they hit (or, rather, were hit by) a deer, with Rose behind the wheel. That is the question: How are white liberals such as the Armitages different from racist oppressors who assert their power over blacks in terms of their presumptions of black people’s inferiority? Peele, boldly and insightfully, offers an answer: the cop sees differences, albeit the wrong ones; the Armitages see no differences. But the actual differences between white and black Americans aren’t, of course, biological or qualitative but political, psychological, experiential. The reality of the black experience, in “Get Out,” is revealed to be historical consciousness.
“Get Out”: Jordan Peele’s Radical Cinematic Vision of the World Through Black Eyes

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
fukk I was supposed to watch this and then my car broke down. I'm going this weekend one way or another.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When dude takes a picture of the other dude and tries to warn breh

Then the white people see it like he was being aggressive and combative :mjpls::beli:
When I first saw that scene it seemed like a threat. Later I realized it was a warning. A lot of the early scenes are played ambiguously.

When Georgina was saying 'no' and crying I didn't understand it at the time. But The real her was trying to get through.