Get Out (2017)

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I just walked away from a good ass job and my whole life because I was deep in Trump territory and I just couldn't relax.

Had to come home to my fam. shyt was a little nutty.

I didn't take the feeling that the crazy people had toward Blacks as hate. Their attitude towards us was not any form of love in the sense of caring for us but they very much wanted to be close. Inside even.

I knew a woman that raised pigs. She had all kinds of little pig toys and calendars and shyt at her desk. She seemed to truly love them. I asked her if she ate pork and she didn't bat an eyelash. She was like "oh yeah. We raise them and then eat them."

Pigs are smart like dogs. Imagine bottle feeding them and all then chopping them to pieces.

This is kind of what the people in this movie are like. They don't care about us in the way that is healthy for us, but they are not disgusted or repulsed. They are intensely attracted. Maybe like an abusive husband.

:dwillhuh:breh, this is what I gathered from some white rappers so to speak in terms of cultural appropriation. It's not that they really appreciate the art in a healthy way (as in setting up foundations that help the communitys where the art was born etc.)

It's that they want to be the master of the art and credit it to themselves. It's very disturbing and why black people never really reap the benefits of our artistic creations.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
here's another amazing take on what The Coli calls "c00ning: Jordan Peele is brilliant :wow:

RJJ: You just blew my mind with that observation. Whew and damn! LOL! Speaking of waking to dangerous situations, one of the most terrifying aspects of the film was concept of “The Sunken Place.” That idea frightened me. I interpreted it as many things: W.E.B. DuBois’ “double consciousness,”code-switching, cultural appropriation, what Whiteness does to the black mind and psyche, but most of all, the desire to be white and what must happen to the black parts of yourself in order to make that journey. Just the pure visual of it was horrifying and sublime. My sister Crystal said she read it as “the opposite of being woke.” My goodness my! And then the next step: surgical “coagulation” as the inherent failure of integration, the danger it presents to black people, and how our proximity to Whiteness, literally and figuratively, may seem like a blessing, but embedded within that blessing is the most toxic of curses. Can you imagine? What was your read on it?

LW: I wrestled with that. I read that through a Jungian lens. A kind of black collective unconscious wherein we hide our pain from ourselves. Going to that place and being lost with none of the beauty that comes with being black (community, art, love) is a terrifying idea. I also thought of The Sunken Place as sunken ships. Slave ships.

another that I just had to quote in here

LW: I think this is the kind of film that grows on you. There is something that came to mind for me. The film turns on its head the myth of the black male rapist. It is the white woman who is predator in the film. She is the threat who violates these black men and women in the most intrusive and violent way.

RJJ: I’m glad you noted black men and women. It was a key reveal that Rose was responsible for baiting/capturing black men and black women; that she was a white queer character (or pretended to be one) who used her white privilege and desirability to destroy black people along the entire gender/sexuality spectrum. And she was completely aware of how harmless she would be perceived, how desired she would be by black people who are “into white people” and used that to her advantage.

This speaks on the teaching of Neely Fuller and the Old Norse Mythology always used in film & sadly in real life, The Valkyrie - chooser of the slain. :blessed: man I'm so happy this film was made!!

Last edited:

Somebody

All Star
Daps
I went to a 10:55 showing yesterday morning. It was damn near full too. At least three interracial couples in the audience; I'm wondering what those brehs were thinking as they went home.

i went to go see it with an old apartment mate. she's a white girl. if we was on the receiving end of any stares, i was too high to notice. plus im one of those dudes who have no idea when a girl is hitting on me. :yeshrug:

as somebody who somewhat enjoys movie history, i enjoyed the references
like the 2001 monolith reference that is the sunken place.

but all the movie did for me was create a symbolic and heightened sense of what i already feel in my everyday life.

for her, it might have done some things she's not willing to talk about. :francis:

making this a horror film rather than a drama was a great idea also. it didn't have to deal with some obligatory plot device like character development. anyone who deals with racism knows there isn't much of that in real life. :dame:

i still think night of the living dead has the goat racial undertones. a foreign virus consumes the status quo, which ends in a black man being "mistaken" for the problem and killed for it. :gucci:

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
here's another amazing take on what The Coli calls "c00ning: Jordan Peele is brilliant :wow:

another that I just had to quote in here

This speaks on the teaching of Neely Fuller and the Old Norse Mythology always used in film & sadly in real life, The Valkyrie - chooser of the slain. :blessed: man I'm so happy this film was made!!

Excellent read. Thanks for sharing this.

Low key they tried to shyt on ghetto black women in the scene where he was talking to Pam from Living Single and the Cosby show. The ignorant black woman ignored the woke brother And brought other black folks blind to the truth to laugh at him.

I said this a bit earlier in the thread and the writers of the article happened to shed some light on that particular scene in their own interpretation.

"It’s hard for me to get past, though, the role of black women in this film. Georgina (Betty Gabriel) was complicated. There was a moment when she tried to break through and help Chris, but was sublimated again. She was clearly Rose’s victim, which might have been commentary on white feminism. But what about Detective LaToya (played by the underrated, but ever-brilliant Erika Alexander)? There was an opportunity there, I think, for a black woman to be heroic (even if in an implicating way) and she was, instead, indifferent, of no assistance, mocking, aligned with the establishment. Was that Peele’s way of saying that black women are tired of being everyone’s mule (which is an incredibly valid position)? Or that not even black cops are on our side? Or does he simply lack insight into the plight/perspectives of black women? And could he have, then, asked a black woman for her perspective??

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

I said this a bit earlier in the thread and the writers of the article happened to shed some light on that particular scene in their own interpretation.

"It’s hard for me to get past, though, the role of black women in this film. Georgina (Betty Gabriel) was complicated. There was a moment when she tried to break through and help Chris, but was sublimated again. She was clearly Rose’s victim, which might have been commentary on white feminism. But what about Detective LaToya (played by the underrated, but ever-brilliant Erika Alexander)? There was an opportunity there, I think, for a black woman to be heroic (even if in an implicating way) and she was, instead, indifferent, of no assistance, mocking, aligned with the establishment. Was that Peele’s way of saying that black women are tired of being everyone’s mule (which is an incredibly valid position)? Or that not even black cops are on our side? Or does he simply lack insight into the plight/perspectives of black women? And could he have, then, asked a black woman for her perspective??

you were on point breh

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

I didn't see it as a black woman thing, but a cop/black person already coopted in the establishment thing. But it's an interesting idea. One thing that just occurred me though -Remember how Chris got upset about Georgina unplugging his phone because he thought she might be mad about him dating a white girl? Could that possibly be a shot at how black men and women in IR relationships tend to focus on how other black people are hating on their relationship instead of paying attention to the bigger threat of whites using them for their own ends?

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
I didn't see it as a black woman thing, but a cop/black person already coopted in the establishment thing. But it's an interesting idea. One thing that just occurred me though -Remember how Chris got upset about Georgina unplugging his phone because he thought she might be mad about him dating a white girl? Could that possibly be a shot at how black men and women in IR relationships tend to focus on how other black people are hating on their relationship instead of paying attention to the bigger threat of whites using them for their own ends?
That is absolutely what the director was attempting to convey in the scene.

Ms. Elaine

Spoiled Brat
Daps
Reppin
Avocado Toast
I'm seeing this movie this Saturday. I've read some spoilers but I hope it still lives up to the hype. Can't wait to join the conversation.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
But what about Detective LaToya (played by the underrated, but ever-brilliant Erika Alexander)? There was an opportunity there, I think, for a black woman to be heroic (even if in an implicating way) and she was, instead, indifferent, of no assistance, mocking, aligned with the establishment. Was that Peele’s way of saying that black women are tired of being everyone’s mule (which is an incredibly valid position)? Or that not even black cops are on our side? Or does he simply lack insight into the plight/perspectives of black women? And could he have, then, asked a black woman for her perspective??
:ohhh: