Georgia republican wants poor kids to sweep floors for lunch :dead:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
A Republican congressman from Georgia who is hoping to be party’s next Senate nominee said over the weekend that poor children should have to pay or sweep floors if they wanted to eat school lunches.

“I’m on the Agriculture Committee, we have jurisdiction over the school lunch,” Rep. Jack Kingston explained to the Jackson County Republican Party in a clip obtained by The Huffington Post’s Amanda Terkel. “School lunch program is very expensive.”

“But one of the things I’ve talked to the secretary of agriculture about: Why don’t you have the kids pay a dime, pay a nickel to instill in them that there is, in fact, no such thing as a free lunch?” he suggested. “Or maybe sweep the floor of the cafeteria — and yes, I understand that that would be an administrative problem, and I understand that it would probably lose you money.”

“But think what we would gain as a society in getting people — getting the myth out of their head that there is such a thing as a free lunch,” Kingston added.

While campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in 2011, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich also floated the idea of replacing unionized janitors with children during a talk at Harvard’s Kennedy School.

He later told a crowd in Iowa that poor children were basically lazy.

“Really poor children, in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works so they have no habit of showing up on Monday,” the Georgia Republican insisted. “They have no habit of staying all day, they have no habit of I do this and you give me cash, unless it is illegal.”

Gingrich suggested to supporters in South Carolina that children as young as 5 years old could get “an education in life” by working.

“If you take one half of the New York janitors, who are paid more than the teachers,” Gingrich explained to a Republican debate audience in late 2011. “An entry-level janitor gets paid twice as much as an entry-level teacher. You take half those janitors, you could give lots of poor kids a work experience in the cafeteria, in the school library, in the front office, in a lot of different things. I’ll stand by the idea young people ought to learn how to work.”

Watch this video of Rep. Jack Kingston speaking to the Jackson County Republican Party.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...ds-to-sweep-the-floors-to-get-school-lunches/

Somebody please tell me this fake lol what's next having poor kids cook rich kids' lunch? :deadmanny:

teacher

All Star
Daps
If they did this across the board for poor kids and rich kids....liike kids get are assigned different days but no discrimination between poor or rich may not be such a bad idea....more so for the rich kid so they don't grow up so out touch...i'm sure the poor kid is working his butt off at home and doesn't need a lesson in work ethic

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
If they did this across the board for poor kids and rich kids....liike kids get are assigned different days but no discrimination between poor or rich may not be such a bad idea....more so for the rich kid so they don't grow up so out touch...i'm sure the poor kid is working his butt off at home and doesn't need a lesson in work ethic

Who knows why he thinks only poor kids need to work :mjpls:

@DEAD7 what do you think of replacing (unionized) janitors by child-labor, sounds economically sound :mjpls:

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:pacspit: at this idiot. so "poor kids" are the only ones that need to understand there's no such thing as a free lunch? :what:

while rich kids just kick back and live off their rich parents then when they run over and kill people while dui the judge gives them a slap on the wrist because they suffer from some made up rich people affliction like "affluenza" and they've never been taught to be responsible. foh with this dumbazz idea. either apply it to everyone or ...:camby:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:pacspit: at this idiot. so "poor kids" are the only ones that need to understand there's no such thing as a free lunch? :what:

while rich kids just kick back and live off their rich parents then when they run over and kill people while dui the judge gives them a slap on the wrist because they suffer from some made up rich people affliction like "affluenza" and they've never been taught to be responsible. foh with this dumbazz idea. either apply it to everyone or ...:camby:

Yep.

All kids get free lunch all the time whether they're at home or in school :yeshrug:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Who knows why he thinks only poor kids need to work :mjpls:

@DEAD7 what do you think of replacing (unionized) janitors by child-labor, sounds economically sound :mjpls:
All his comments were thoughtlessly phrased, but the underlining point is valid. Allowing kids to work(voluntarily) shouldn't be seen as a bad thing... by anyone.

A good comparative look at what our youth are doing in their spare time now, leaves no room to argue that giving them jobs would be a net loss/negative.

I'm all for it. :yeshrug:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sounds like a real azzhole, make all the kids clean up and im cool with that