General Elon Musk Fukkery Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You think the Banks want to take on all the future lawsuits from the EU and other countries? Not to mention still making a loss on loaning money to Musk?

I don't think they want to, the issue is they're the creditors and this shyt is losing money. He'll sell it to them and wash his hands, at which point the banks will basically reverse most of the shyt he's done and try to revive it. Get rid of the racist algorithms, stop coddling white nationalists, bring back certain staff departments and the advertisers will flock back very quickly.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate this man. :yeshrug:

I’ve been putting my hatred to good use. I’ve made it a point of exposing his con to people around me any chance I get. I’m talking about every party, dinner, cookout etc. I’ve managed to get my whole circle to hate this man. Even my lil cousin who owned a Tesla is on board.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Brazil should tun this into a criminal case if he doesn't comply and demand his extradition

It's a shame the EU hasn't taken Musk to task so far

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Hot take but Twitter might have been a more strategic purchase for Elon than I initially expected.

The majority of the country (globe?) are uninformed voters who get their views on the world/politics via social media, and so by putting his thumb on the scale, limiting left-leaning talking points and boosting conservative values, he is has a larger influence and molds the values of future generations.

I think that's why there are so many smart-dumb nikkas that think Kamala isn't black or that she is against education... These people get their perspective from online social media and the pipeline to radicalization is much more slippery on sites like twitter

There is a flight to safety where there's more constructive convos (a la TLR ->HL) and the echo chamber gets louder and louder for those that remain.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hot take but Twitter might have been a more strategic purchase for Elon than I initially expected.

The majority of the country (globe?) are uninformed voters who get their views on the world/politics via social media, and so by putting his thumb on the scale, limiting left-leaning talking points and boosting conservative values, he is has a larger influence and molds the values of future generations.

I think that's why there are so many smart-dumb nikkas that think Kamala isn't black or that she is against education... These people get their perspective from online social media and the pipeline to radicalization is much more slippery on sites like twitter

There is a flight to safety where there's more constructive convos (a la TLR ->HL) and the echo chamber gets louder and louder for those that remain.
This and a huge platform to train A.I. with.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

He’s not that smart. Dont forget he was forced to buy Twitter after his trolling cost him a couple of billion.

Also, the people on Twitter are a very small subset of the larger population.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

X caught blocking links to NPR, claiming the news site may be ‘unsafe’​

Sarah Perez

9:46 AM PDT • August 29, 2024

Comment

An illustration of a phone and the X logo.
Image Credits: Bryce Durbin/TechCrunch

X, the Elon Musk-owned platform formerly known as Twitter, is marking some links to news organization NPR’s website as “unsafe” when users click through to read the latest story about an altercation between a Trump campaign staffer and an Arlington National Cemetery employee. The warning being displayed is typically applied to malicious links, like those containing malware, and other types of misleading content or spam. However, in this case, the web page being blocked is an NPR news report, raising questions about whether or not Musk’s X is actively trying to stop the news story from spreading.

On Thursday X users began to notice that a link to the NPR story about the Arlington Cemetery event, when clicked, would display the following message: “Warning: this link may be unsafe” followed by the URL of the web page in question, https://npr.org/2024/08/29/nx-s1-5092087/trump-arlington-cemetery-altercation-tiktok.

Instead of being taken to the website, the warning encourages them to go “back to the previous page” by clicking the big blue button. To read the news story, users would have to click on the small text below that reads, “Ignore this warning and continue.”

It’s not immediately clear why NPR’s news site would have triggered this warning, nor why it would show up on specifically this story.

Screenshot-2024-08-29-at-12.09.01PM.jpg
ScreenshotImage Credits:screenshot of X, 12:09 PM ET

The message warns X users:

The link you are trying to access has been identified by X or our partners as being potentially spammy or unsafe, in accordance with X’s URL Policy. This link could fall into any of the below categories:

• malicious links that could steal personal information or harm electronic devices

• spammy links that mislead people or disrupt their experience

• violent or misleading content that could lead to real-world harm

• certain categories of content that, if posted directly on X, are a violation of the X Rules

It does appear that NPR changed the URL from https://npr.org/2024/08/29/nx-s1-5092087/trump-arlington-cemetery-altercation-tiktok to https://www.npr.org/2024/08/29/nx-s1-5092087/trump-arlington-cemetery-altercation-video, but whether that’s in response to the link being blocked or whether some other issue may have falsely triggered the malicious link warning is not yet known.

In any event, the move further muddies X’s image as a platform for free speech, which could drive more users to competitors like open source Mastodon, social networking startup Bluesky, Meta’s Threads and others.

NPR did not immediately return a request for comment and X typically longer replies to media requests for comment under Musk’s leadership. It did, however, reply to NPR in this case later this afternoon, and said that the link was marked as a “false positive” and had been corrected.

This is not the first time there’s been an incident between NPR and X. The news organization last year chose to abandon X, then called Twitter, after Musk had the outlet labeled as “state-affiliated media” — a label Twitter had previously used for propaganda outlets like those in Russia and China. It has not officially returned.

More recently, Musk has used X’s platform to showcase his support for Trump, even hosting an online conversation with the former president on X Spaces earlier this month. The service was not able to handle the traffic, however, and crashed.

Story updated, 8/29/24, 2 PM ET to include X comment to NPR.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

San Francisco says ‘good riddance’ as X prepares to leave​

by Leigh Mc Gowran

4 days ago

An image of Elon Musk wearing a suit and standing in front of a grey wall.

Elon Musk at the UK AI Summit in 2023. Image: Rory Arnold/No 10 Downing Street/Flickr (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Musk is moving his businesses out of California and has been critical of San Francisco online, but city officials claim the departure of X won’t have a major impact.

Elon Musk is moving X out of its San Francisco headquarters and city officials are claiming not to care.

The billionaire announced plans earlier this month that he would take X out of California and move its headquarters to Texas. Musk said on X that he had “no choice” but to move and claimed “it is impossible to operate in San Francisco if you’re processing payments”. He has also been critical of other taxation policies in the city and California for years.

Musk may have a different motive for leaving California, however. In July he responded to posts about state legislation to support LGBT+ students and called it “the final straw”, declaring he would move SpaceX to Texas.

“Because of this law and the many others that preceded it, attacking both families and companies, SpaceX will now move its HQ from Hawthorne, California, to Starbase, Texas,” he said.

In response to the move, San Francisco officials gave The New York Times lukewarm reactions. City attorney David Chiu claimed he shares the perspective of “most San Franciscans” which is “good riddance”.

San Francisco’s chief economist Ted Egan claimed the company’s departure will have little impact due to how much it has shrunk and that “in many respects, they were already gone”. X did not respond to requests from NYT for comment.

The company formerly known as Twitter made a significant number of job cuts after Musk took over in October 2022. By January 2023, internal records seen by CNBC showed that the company’s numbers had dropped to around 1,300 full-time staff, compared to around 8,000 before Musk’s acquisition.

Since then, the rebranding of Twitter to X caused its own problems for relations in San Francisco. The company headquarters was ‘upgraded’ with a large, glowing X logo on the top of the building in 2023, but the brightness of this logo led to complaints from neighbours.

Even back then, Musk was growing critical of San Francisco and claimed it was in a “doom spiral with one company after another left or leaving”. But he also claimed that X would be different, despite getting “rich incentives” to move elsewhere.

“San Francisco, beautiful San Francisco, though others forsake you, we will always be your friend,” Musk said in a post.

Find out how emerging tech trends are transforming tomorrow with our new podcast, Future Human: The Series. Listen now on Spotify, on Apple or wherever you get your podcasts.

Elon Musk at the UK AI Summit in 2023. Image: Rory Arnold/No 10 Downing Street via Flickr (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/17
-Twitter is getting banned in Brazil?
-What the hell is happening?
-Is Brazil censoring Twitter?
-Why is this happening?

Here is a comprehensive explanation of the running feud between X / Elon Musk and the Brazilian Supreme Court, and all the events that led up to it🧵

2/17
Ever since 2020, Brazil's Supreme court, also known as STF, took their sights to online misinformation.
At the time, there were a number of high profile influencers, religious figures and politicians spreading harmful lies about the newly released COVID vaccine.

3/17
In 2021, Brazil's STF Justice Moraes ordered social media platforms to remove disinfo related to COVID-19, the integrity of the electoral process, and attacks on democratic institutions. Twitter complied with some orders, but resisted others.

4/17
Things start to escalate post 2022 elections. After Bolsonaro's defeat, a number of his supporters rushed our congress, in an act of insurgency. As this happened, many right wing politicians and influencers started to post all sorts of call-to-arms, supporting the coup attempt.

5/17
This desperate scenario called for desperate measures, and Justice Moraes began to personally prosecute and fine insurgents and their supporters. This led to him being labelled as a tyrannical enemy by right wing outlets. Musk joined in by expressing his "concern"

6/17
Ever since then, Musk has become more and more antagonistic towards Justice Moraes, mocking him, calling for his impeachment, and even going as far as further fueling insurrectionist rhetoric. X ceased to comply with court orders, and our judicial system in general.

7/17
This led to this month's escalation, where Moraes threatened to jail X's legal representative in Brazil. Musk simply chose to close down the office, leaving X completely rogue before our law.

8/17
This is were we are now: Yesterday, 8:00 PM UTC-3, Moraes sent an ultimatum to X: Either comply, or be taken offline in 24 hours.

9/17
The outcome of this is still uncertain. Brazil is X's 6th largest consumer, so logically, it would be in their best interests to reestablish legal rep and avoid this whole situation.
This has been Musk's reaction, however:

10/17
Why is this happening? Because Musk is a far-right troll, simple as.

This whole show he is putting on is a dangerous attempt at undermining our democratically elected government’s efforts to squash far-right extremism.

11/17
The saddest thing is, that while trying to paint Brazil as some sort of dictatorship, he is actively showing his support for the ilk that tried to not only throw a coup, but have many times expressed their desire to establish a military dictatorship here.

12/17
30/08 Update: The 24 hour deadline is over, but X remains accessible. Our telecommunication regulatory agency (ANATEL) awaits STF's order to block X in Brazil. This will then be passed down to our Internet Service Providers, which means the block won't happen instantaneously.

13/17
Other developments include Musk's and Starlink's assets in Brazil being frozen, to avoid non-payment of X's fines. X's previous appeals have also been rejected.

14/17
Update: President Lula commented over X's / STF situation on a radio interview. Full translation in annexed picture: 'Não é porque tem muito dinheiro que pode desrespeitar', diz Lula sobre atitude de Musk contra decisões de Moraes

15/17
Update: Justice Moraes has sent the go ahead for ANATEL to cut access to X, nationwide. ANATEL now has 24 hours to carry this order. Companies or people accessing X after the ban may be fined.

16/17
My final thoughts on this whole situation: I think the fine over using X is a real dikk move on STF's part. I was planning on still VPN'ing in.

That being said, to keep using X after it has been weaponized into a fash propaganda machine by Elon feels... it feels wrong. 1/2

17/17
This might just be the final push I needed to move away somewhere else where both my content, art, and time spent doesn't translate into revenue to some Evil fukking Manchild.

Cheers, and catch you all anywhere else on the tubes. 2/2

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GWKz2HpXIAIW1Vz.jpg

GWKz9YfXUAA6LRo.jpg

GWKz-ioXsAARdQv.jpg

GWK0K4nWAAAi7Gl.jpg

GWK0fkZXEAAjiqj.jpg

GWK0guwW0AAqldB.jpg

GWK2WTQXsAA2dVX.jpg

GWK09eBW8AA9oD_.jpg

GWK1J-3WAAEnREA.jpg

GWK3r7TW8AAa5MY.jpg

GWGsTMKWEAAAyy2.png

GWK7uHpWkAAED-L.jpg