GameStop has told its employees to ignore law enforcement demands to shut down during coronavirus

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
GameStop has informed employees that if local authorities attempt to shut down their store in states with orders to close establishments deemed “non-essential,” they are to inform law enforcement that the company believes they should be “classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time.” The instructions came with a flyer to hand over to law enforcement, and includes the phone number for GameStop’s corporate office.

Five employees with access to the instructions and accompanying flyer showed copies to VICE Games today. GameStop did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home,” reads the memo, “we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time. We have received reports of local authorities visiting stores in an attempt to enforce closure despite our classification. Store managers are approved to provide the document linked below to law enforcement as needed.”

The note does not appear to be instructed at one particular region of the country; the employees VICE Games spoke with were from all over, including the midwest and east coast.

“They've essentially said to disobey law enforcement in any state that shuts down non essential retail,” said one employee, who asked to remain anonymous, “as they believe we are providing an essential service to people that shop at a video game store.”

The flyer itself comes with a short note:

“Thank you for what you are doing to keep us all safe. If you have questions about our store’s hours, operations or policies could I ask you to please call our corporate office:

GameStop Corporate Office
844-993-3145

Thank you for understanding.”

It’s unclear if any store has actually attempted this tactic.

GameStop has been criticized for its poor handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic. The company has been unable to provide adequate cleaning supplies to employees, instead asking them to seek out such supplies at local stores. The company has not extended sick leave policies to employees, instead asking them to rely on their existing time off options.

While other companies have voluntarily shut down amidst the pandemic, GameStop has remained open. This week is a big week for video games, with both Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Doom Eternal launching tomorrow. Only in recent days did GameStop make the decision to cancel its late night launches, where consumers line up to buy games as soon as they’re available. This morning, GameStop announced it would start selling Doom Eternal today—a full day early—to try and separate the Doom and Animal Crossing Crowds.

Pandemic or not, GameStop appears committed to staying open as long as possible.

“I'm picking up my Animal Crossing tomorrow,” said another employee, “and leaving my keys.”

:pacspit: I swear I’ve never rooted for a company to go out of business except for them

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
BgKniTC.png

:mjlol: Essential my ass.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They're gonna have a boom during this quarantine period.

I'm gonna get some stock while it's cheap

CXRXF

they own a subsidiary whose lupus drug is being used to treat those with the Rona. It's shot up today. Copped me some shares. Might wanna look into that joint.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
“Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers’ experience in working from home,” reads the memo, “we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time. We have received reports of local authorities visiting stores in an attempt to enforce closure despite our classification. Store managers are approved to provide the document linked below to law enforcement as needed.”
:mjlol:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
:mjlol:
Fam people locked inside all day with NOTHING to do

Video games, streaming services, basically any electronic entertainment is all most people have right now assuming they dont have other hobbies

You gonna see movies that were supposed to drop in theaters going straight to streaming, music acts all flooding the internet with projects, prolly new DLC if game studios are smart

Gamestop aint stupid with this one, the internet/video games bouta make a killing with everyone at home

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Fam people locked inside all day with NOTHING to do

Video games, streaming services, basically any electronic entertainment is all most people have right now assuming they dont have other hobbies

You gonna see movies that were supposed to drop in theaters going straight to streaming, music acts all flooding the internet with projects, prolly new DLC if game studios are smart

Gamestop aint stupid with this one, the internet/video games bouta make a killing with everyone at home
people can download any game they want now they dont need to go to the physical store no more

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
people can download any game they want now they dont need to go to the physical store no more
1. People buying consoles who normally wouldnt have time for games

2. If you got a lot of games it's annoying having to constantly free up space especially with patches and dlc eating up space too

The one around the corner from me been having frequent traffic the last 2 weeks