Gamestop employees all quit at once, tell customers to shop elsewhere lmao

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
8e80b09cea35f1b66cdb45502fdf643c.jpg
\\\\

For my health I had to leave," Frank Maurer, the store's recently promoted manager, told Kotaku in a phone interview. The stress and anxiety were so bad he had trouble sleeping and wasn't even enjoying games anymore. He said he only started working there in late 2021, and while at first it was fun, it quickly turned into a nightmare between the lack of resources and management's strict quotas. To put up with it Maurer said he was paid $17 an hour, just $2 over the entry level rate at the nearby Target, while those under him made only $9, Nebraska's minimum wage.

He also claimed he was never properly trained by the company on any of the new responsibilities he was given as manager, nor given the resources and time to train others at the store. At one point he said he had to work over two weeks straight with no days off just to keep the store functioning.

"When I asked for support I was met with silence," Maurer said.

A similar walkout sign taped to Lincoln, Nebraska's other GameStop earlier this year also blamed the district manager for the mass resignation. "There have actually been four walkouts since august 2021 because of him," wrote one former employee on Facebook. "Two at each location. The first ones were kept pretty quiet though."

When asked about the prospect of unionizing amid huge labor pushes at Starbucks, Amazon, and Apple, as well as recent efforts in the larger gaming industry, Maurer said he can't see it ever happening. Like every other current and former GameStop employee I've spoken with in the past year, he feels turnover is too high and management too ruthless for anything like that to ever get off the ground.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Capitalism was never a system meant to be a long term solution. You can only pay people crumbs until the system breaks.

We don't live in a purely capitalistic society...GameStop should'nt even be able to exist in a system of supply and demand.

nikkas ain't trying to trade in a PS5 for $30 or $250 credit :mjlol:

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I've never had a bad gamestop experience. That's why I be tripping when I see threads like this.
I've never had a bad experience dealing with their employees either.

But working there? :scust: I worked at Blockbuster back then and all my friends who were at Best Buy and Gamestop thought I was living it up :mjlol:

Daps
I opened the thread wondering who in there right mind would choose to work for gamestop in 2021 then read it's somewhere in Nebraska. :mjlol:

Storytime: I'll never forget the year gta 5 dropped. My mama got me the newest nadden, nba, and cod that year for Christmas. So I called gamestop to see how much they would give me me for me and no bullshyt dude straight up told me $15 for each game :russ: Now keep in mind my mama just bought these for black Friday and these bytches weren't even open (still in the plastic) and when I told the dude that dude replied (with a straight face too) "yeah but we would have to open them to make sure that they're in there which would then make them used and we could only give you $15 for them" :unimpressed:

Bruh I was so confused :wtf:. Like in my mind I knew dude was bullshyting. Like fam I already know yall finna sell them $50 a pop so why can't you give me $25-30 a pop? :mjtf: It was at the point at stopped fukking with gamestop completely