FX's Donald Glover Sitcom "Atlanta" Season 1 thread

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
I got a feeling the white dude wasn't down with his wife self hate when he called Paper Boi a thug. It's scary there are white folks like that out here collecting African artifacts and studying black folks "what tribe are you from" like damn if we created racism would we be out here studying white folks "what type of European are you? Alpine or Saxon?" :dame:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows

That's what's up. Chris Rock & many others broke down a lot of doors, walls, & shattered the glass ceiling of the entire entertainment industry for black people. Chris Rock was a producer & writer for his HBO show & he had a good run. Chris Rock show laid the ground work for the Chappelle show. And Richard Pryor made the blue print for Eddie Murphy, dikk Gregory passed the torch to Pryor. A lot of things would have not happened had someone not put in the needed work for the next person to be able to are in and take it to another level.

It's truly amazing watching the credits after another amazing episode of Atlanta to see Donald Glover's name listed under so many positions. 50-60 years ago this was an impossible task to simply get respect on a television show, if we could get on the stage we were brought in the studio through the back. Now we have black people writing, directing, acting, producing their very own projects to it being welcomed with open arms. I look forward to the individual who takes this & raises the bar yet again.

Edit: Shoutout to Keenan Ivory Wayans for blowing the doors off the hinges for black people in sketch comedy. Without his creation we would not have a Wanda or a Homey the Clown or a Fire Marshall Bill. Another shoutout to Martin Lawerence, doing several characters that are quoted & impersonated on a daily basis.
I got kinda wordy with this post cause im passionate on seeing black people thrive in an industry that we were once blocked from being involved in. I know there are a lot of Coli memebers who are capable of carrying the torch and raise the bar. Is alone are a force to be reckoned with; I await those who make it happen. I promise to have me a hot bag of popcorn :popcorn:

Last edited:

ShaneTheRogue

Roguelike
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
Anybody got a link to the latest episode? On my usual streaming sites the picture freezes after about a min.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That's what's up. Chris Rock & many others broke down a lot of doors, walls, & shattered the glass ceiling of the entire entertainment industry for black people. Chris Rock was a producer & writer for his HBO show & he had a good run. Chris Rock show laid the ground work for the Chappelle show. And Richard Pryor made the blue print for Eddie Murphy, dikk Gregory passed the torch to Pryor. A lot of things would have not happened had someone not put in the needed work for the next person to be able to are in and take it to another level.

It's truly amazing watching the credits after another amazing episode of Atlanta to see Donald Glover's name listed under so many positions. 50-60 years ago this was an impossible task to simply get respect on a television show, if we could get on the stage we were brought in the studio through the back. Now we have black people writing, directing, acting, producing their very own projects to it being welcomed with open arms. I look forward to the individual who takes this & raises the bar yet again.

Edit: Shoutout to Keenan Ivory Wayans for blowing the doors off the hinges for black people in sketch comedy. Without his creation we would not have a Wanda or a Homey the Clown or a Fire Marshall Bill. Another shoutout to Martin Lawerence, doing several characters that are quoted & impersonated on a daily basis.
I got kinda wordy with this post cause im passionate on seeing black people thrive in an industry that we were once blocked from being involved in. I know there are a lot of Coli memebers who are capable of carrying the torch and raise the bar. Is alone are a force to be reckoned with; I await those who make it happen. I promise to have me a hot bag of popcorn :popcorn:

I would also give shoutouts to Robert Townsend, who is goes SEVERLY underrated with what he accomplished with Hollywood Shuffle. The man couldn't get funding and paid for his movie with a series of credit cards. Made a classic on his own terms. He was kind of a Spike Lee type. Dude directed, produced, wrote, and starred in two classics (Hollywood Shuffle and Five Heaetbeats)

Also Will Smith, for bringing Hip Hop to prime time television. Fresh Prince Of Bel Air brought rap culture, lingo, and attitude to the forefront in a manner that was fun and accessible. I sometimes don't think he gets he deserves for really helping to show that Hip Hop wasn't JUST gangsta rap at a time when Cacs in congress wanted to blame rap music for damn near all the world's ills

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
would also give shoutouts to Robert Townsend, who is goes SEVERLY underrated with what he accomplished with Hollywood Shuffle. The man couldn't get funding and paid for his movie with a series of credit cards. Made a classic on his own terms

Damn it I wanted to add him in my edit! Strictly for him funding Hollywood Shuffle out of his own pocket.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I would also give shoutouts to Robert Townsend, who is goes SEVERLY underrated with what he accomplished with Hollywood Shuffle. The man couldn't get funding and paid for his movie with a series of credit cards. Made a classic on his own terms. He was kind of a Spike Lee type. Dude directed, produced, wrote, and starred in two classics (Hollywood Shuffle and Five Heaetbeats)

Also Will Smith, for bringing Hip Hop to prime time television. Fresh Prince Of Bel Air brought rap culture, lingo, and attitude to the forefront in a manner that was fun and accessible. I sometimes don't think he gets he deserves for really helping to show that Hip Hop wasn't JUST gangsta rap at a time when Cacs in congress wanted to blame rap music for damn near all the world's ills
Townsend lowkey put a lot of black people on back in day.