FX's Donald Glover Sitcom "Atlanta" Season 1 thread

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
For those talking about the lack of build-up of the central story arc, I think y'all are confused about what the central story arc actually is. This is a show about Atlanta... Darius, Paypa Boy, Ern and Van are the eyes we're looking at their world through. The first few episodes had more of a traditional character arc for each character so that we understand their point of view and how that colors the way they look at the city vs. how the city looks at them.
I think its LITERALLY genius to create a show where the arc progresses outside of traditional role playing scenes. A regular show would've had an episode showing Earn set up the interview, show them driving to the interview, show paper boi getting ready for the interview. Probably have some background shyt mess up their train of thought. Blah blah blah. Nah we got all of that with one single shot:

"You're not getting paid for this"
"Yo earn! :dahell:"

:laff:

International S.

"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Daps
Reppin
Portsmouth, VA
man, i kept waking up last night with this episode in my head....still :laff:

watching again today, i missed some of the commercials last night while reading thru this thread
Same here ... the mickeys commercial had me like:patrice: is this shyt real

Edit ... That Ahmad white commercial, after he says salutations he fukks up the next line horribly his whole face changed for a second ... That's some chapelle show level funny shyt

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gambino out did himself with this ep.... He hit on so many levels that I knew Coli nikkaz would be speaking on this for weeks to come.....

I'm mad that I got confused on where the fake commercials ended and the real ones started.... Lol... That GTA one caught me off guard... :mjlol:

As well as the Acura video...

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
My girl didnt fukk with this at all but i liked it and she digged it a little bit more once i told her the reasoning (or at least my theory anyway) behind some of the skits. Atlanta isnt for everyone though and a lot of shyt will go over your head if you arent looking for it or dont look at it twice.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Checked some of the reviews and the old white folks and flaming negroes on some of these sites didn't quite get it, lol. Thought that was an amazing episode. The trans stuff was funny because it hit both sides of this thing. People can do what they want and be who they want but it can still be ridiculous and weird. And you can call it weird, and people can get mad at you calling it weird, and life can move on. Also shows that people can be hypocritical but ALSO hold views that don't exactly make sense based on their other views. Joint was A1
fukk their opinion.

Off rip, if they don't get the Arizona commercial or swisher sweets commercial they have no room to comment on anything anymore