FX & Donald Glover present Atlanta Season 2: Atlanta Robbin' Season

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Ahhh well things kinda make sense now
No it doesn't. As dude below you posted

Stone Mountain is 80% black. Don't matter where he was at. He's from the hood.
And that's not even an exaggeration.

It's disgusting how far people want to go to tear down other peoples black experiences :scust:

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
Not pointed at you. But who cares where Glover grew up? He's a proud black man, making great content, and supporting the black community. We should all support him. I was sleeping on Atlanta. Glad I got caught up. Great show.

I didn't post that to discredit Glover's talent. Dude is a once in a lifetime writer. It was just to point out that people saying that Donald is not "of the culture" as in ghetto culture is valid. Dude did not grow up poor, but you don't have to grow up poor to write about it. I think Chris Rock said it best, that being outside the hood can give you a broader perspective. ie. The Earth looks flat when your living on it, but fly away from it and you can clearly see that it's round.

Stone Mountain is 80% black. Don't matter where he was at. He's from the hood.
Black =/= hood. There are lots of black areas in metro Atlanta that aren't hood. It's one of the most appealing things about Atlanta. I live in a section of Snellville, the Promised Land, that's VERY black, but far from hood.

Last edited:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not directing my comments at you per say. But who cares if he didn't grow up in the hood? He grew up black. I hate how we are one of the few races that tries to separate black people by categories, etc. Oh he's not hood etc. Man he's black! He's experienced racism. He's lived his whole life being black. He's putting on for black people. And he's hiring black people! I salute him and any black man who does that. Period!

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
I didn't post that to discredit Glover's talent. Dude is a once in a lifetime writer. It was just to point out that people saying that Donald is not "of the culture" as in ghetto culture is valid. Dude did not grow up poor
Yes he did. He moved a lot as a child, and grew up in varying circumstances. Sometimes outright poverty, sometimes decently working class. He didn't grow up hood, as his two parents had their heads on straight and always tried put to their kids in the best position they could given their circumstance, but he grew up poor. His parents would lie about their address to take him to better schools. But this is a dude who grew up with at times 6 people living in one room, wearing knock-off clothes as that's all they could afford, uncles and cousins in trouble with d-boys, parents working two jobs to keep the lights on etc.

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
xcoe90hvasj01.png

no7kef.gif
BoMqK.gif

nxt-commentator-showtime-percy-watson-appears-on-fxs-atlanta.jpg

i knew i recognized dude :mjlol:

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
Donald Glover grew up poor

Read his interviews and listen to his music, he talks about it all of the time

This myth that he grew up rich is nonsense

His father was a post man and his mom ran a daycare. They moved many times and had to share beds. He got a scholarship to NYC and was still broke so he had to work as a babysitter since that was the only thing he really knew how to do and he worked his ass off by doing Derrick Comedy during college and getting on 30 Rock.

Listen to his mixtapes and his albums brehs. They shot parts of this season a few blocks from his old house, his team had talked about how bad the house he grew up looked.

Last edited: