FX & Donald Glover present Atlanta Season 2: Atlanta Robbin' Season

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Wasn't really feeling this last episode. The episode was funny at first but after a while it just became predictable and boring with me knowing the barber was going do some dumb shyt every time he kept asking Paperboi to do something with him

Now I'm questioning if I really like this show or not. This whole season has been kind of meh to me. The show has no direction and I feel like the fact that it's "random" is kind of a safety valve. Like we 2 seasons in and no one knows where Paperboi is with his career, if he working on another song, etc. But you can plea cop that lack of character development by saying it's random

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They don’t get it. Atlanta literally CANNOT have a filler episode as the series itself, as described by Donald Glover, is “Twin Peaks” with rappers. It DOES NOT follow a traditional narrative and wasn’t constructed to. We had full episodes in season 1 that had NOTHING to do with Earn trying to make Paperboi a famous rapper.

A whole episode of Earn in jail

A whole Episode Of Van trying to dodge a drug test

A whole episode of Paperboi on a talk show

A whole episode of Earn and Van at at Juneteenth party

A whole episode where Earn is searching for a lost jacket

We in season 2 and nikkas acting brand new :heh:

You correct in it talking about an unorthodox narrative, but the examples you made were terrible because ALL of them followed a story narrative. The only one that didn't was the BAN episode and even with that it implied Paperboi slowly on the rise. The Earn and Van episode was in COMPLETE contrast to this season Earn and Van episode.And the season finale summed up the entire season. None of those and anything in season one was actually FILLERS. But the Barbershop episode was a PURE BOTTLED episode. It did not push any kind of narrative at all in regards to Paperboi or anything else. It was solely about a relatable nightmare experience of what people have to endure and go through just to get a haricut with your preferred barber. That was it. It had NOTHING to do with the bigger scope of things, unlike in season one where ALL of it did.

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You correct in it talking about an unorthodox narrative, but the examples you made were terrible because ALL of them followed a story narrative. The only one that didn't was the BAN episode and even with that it implied Paperboi slowly on the rise. The Earn and Van episode was in COMPLETE contrast to this season Earn and Van episode.And the season finale summed up the entire season. None of those and anything in season one was actually FILLERS. But the Barbershop episode was a PURE BOTTLED episode. It did not push any kind of narrative at all in regards to Paperboi or anything else. It was solely about a relatable nightmare experience of what people have to endure and go through just to get a haricut with your preferred barber. That was it. It had NOTHING to do with the bigger scope of things, unlike in season one where ALL of it did.
this isn’t true at all. Paper Boi needed the haircut because he needed to look good for a Photoshoot and Article in a Magazine. That’s evidence of his continued success. His career was his main reason for being at the barbershop in the first place. Which along with barber loyalty is why he allows Bibby to ruin his whole day.

The episode mentioned events that happened last season (the indivisible car/shooting at The club in Ep 8) and continued the season long theme of “Robbin Season” Bibby and Paper Boi even discuss it “its that time of year, man”.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Its Movie poster art for Childish Gambino’s Because The Internet, screenplay donAld wrote to accompany his 2nd album. The artist who did it is Sam Spratt.
Oh okay, yeah I peeked Jhene just now so I kinda figured that's where it was from. Pretty dope though.

Bino needs to bless us with another BTI esque album :ohlawd:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Episode had its moments but it wasn't anywhere near the Atlanta greatness that we've come to know. This was run of the mill B comedy type shyt. Bibby's shtick got tired after 5 minutes. Maybe if they used him in a single scene but an entire episode?....nah. seeing a guy do dumb shyt over and over is just not that funny. bibby was way too extra. He was basically a caricature.

Was the episode decent?....sure. But when it comes Atlanta I expect a lot more than just decent. But maybe it's time to lower my standards a little. :yeshrug:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Episode had its moments but it wasn't anywhere near the Atlanta greatness that we've come to know. This was run of the mill B comedy type shyt. Bibby's shtick got tired after 5 minutes. Maybe if they used him in a single scene but an entire episode?....nah. seeing a guy do dumb shyt over and over is just not that funny. bibby was way too extra. He was basically a caricature.

Was the episode decent?....sure. But when it comes Atlanta I expect a lot more than just decent. But maybe it's time to lower my standards a little. :yeshrug:
Glad I don't read this thread or any threads on here for shows that I watch anymore.

This episode was funny as fukk from start to finish. Mainly because of how relatable it is. Every black person in America knows a "Bibby". My wife and I kept laughing out loud as this episode played out because her brother is LITERALLY the same exact dude portrayed as Bibby.

:russ:

The guy that's in to everything, from cutting hair, to having the hookup on cable, doing construction/house work, driving reckless as fukk, always busy and double booking himself for shyt and dragging you into it... to being a caring parent through all of that. Then they capped it off with the relationship a man has with his barber and how it's more to just going to get a cut from anybody.

:scust: @ you sitting here really trying to shyt on this episode. It was an instant classic for me because my bro in-law is literally a Bibby and the accuracy of everything was excellent

:mjlol:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
The moment they went to the construction site and he opened that microwave with the Zaxby’s... Breh no exaggeration. I’ve never laughed harder and louder at a TV show in my life.

:deadmanny::deadmanny::dead::deadrose::dead:
Between that and him asking Paperboi to take the wheel after hitting that lady and I was laughing loud as fukk for like a minute straight. I know too many cats that will get you caught up in some dumb shyt then try to get you caught up for it because they on probation or some other shyt.

Glad I don't read this thread or any threads on here for shows that I watch anymore.

This episode was funny as fukk from start to finish. Mainly because of how relatable it is. Every black person in America knows a "Bibby". My wife and I kept laughing out loud as this episode played out because her brother is LITERALLY the same exact dude portrayed as Bibby.

:russ:

The guy that's in to everything, from cutting hair, to having the hookup on cable, doing construction/house work, driving reckless as fukk, always busy and double booking himself for shyt and dragging you into it... to being a caring parent through all of that. Then they capped it off with the relationship a man has with his barber and how it's more to just going to get a cut from anybody.

:scust: @ you sitting here really trying to shyt on this episode. It was an instant classic for me because my bro in-law is literally a Bibby and the accuracy of everything was excellent

:mjlol:
I think a lot of it comes down to Donald Glover basically creating a new genre with this show where it can sway back and forth from drama to comedy. Some episodes will be pure drama like last week and others will be just straight comedy like this one. Seems too many people keep trying to box it in and aren't flexible enough to go where the show takes em.