Fukk that other thread...FOXCATCHER IS GOOD

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Don't expect some action packed shyt...like There Will Be Blood, its a slow burner and mostly a character study...if you don't like those types of movies, you will be disappointed.

Yeah the trailer shows as much...if he expecting "The expendables"...i dont know what to tell him

Nefrodamus

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#90'sgang
Don't expect some action packed shyt...like There Will Be Blood, its a slow burner and mostly a character study...if you don't like those types of movies, you will be disappointed.
That's what I was afraid of

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I didn't like it. I like character studies and can deal with no action but the pacing/editing was poor. They also missed an opportunity to explore du Pont's decline into madness.

I disagree. Having watched the movie without any prior knowledge of the characters...I think it showed everyone's transformation in great detail without being long winded or pretentious. The clues to du ponts state of mind were revealed layer by layer. I dont see what more you could want. They showd the issues with his mom and the horses.....the changing dynamics between him and the brothers.....his thing with law enforcement and $$...and when they showed him mimicking Dave...I knew this movie was wild

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I disagree. Having watched the movie without any prior knowledge of the characters...I think it showed everyone's transformation in great detail without being long winded or pretentious. The clues to du ponts state of mind were revealed layer by layer. I dont see what more you could want. They showd the issues with his mom and the horses.....the changing dynamics between him and the brothers.....his thing with law enforcement and $$...and when they showed him mimicking Dave...I knew this movie was wild

I guess my previous knowledge of the situation heightened my expectations. Du Pont was way crazier than they portrayed and his mother had little to do with it. The family's long history of inbreeding and his schizophrenia was downplayed. He also did some key things that would have made the final act more compelling and problematic. It was too black & white for me. Schultz & everyone on that farm knew du Pont was out of his mind and they chose to ignore it. The film plays his final act like a big departure from his mildly eccentric personality. I dunno, it just didn't work for me.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I guess my previous knowledge of the situation heightened my expectations. Du Pont was way crazier than they portrayed and his mother had little to do with it. The family's long history of inbreeding and his schizophrenia was downplayed. He also did some key things that would have made the final act more compelling and problematic. It was too black & white for me. Schultz & everyone on that farm knew du Pont was out of his mind and they chose to ignore it. The film plays his final act like a big departure from his mildly eccentric personality. I dunno, it just didn't work for me.

See you were familiar with the back-story so you true expectations besides the acting.

Gil Scott-Heroin

āœŠšŸæ
Daps
See you were familiar with the back-story so you true expectations besides the acting.
:dwillhuh:

@NobodyReally is spot on with everything he's said in here.

Coming from someone that had minimal knowledge of this affair going into the film (only that du Pont was a paranoid schizophrenic), I left with know perceptible insight of any of the characters' motives, no sympathy nor apathy towards anyone involved and just a general lack of understanding of everything (no backgrounds given). We never get the raw, gritty matter of the relationships/illnesses, just some surface building nonsense that really didn't go anywhere. I wasn't expecting something as vivid as 'Clean, Shaven', but this was a poor character study, which not even Carell's amazing performance could save. The final act played out like a that privilege mommy's boy who wasn't getting the attention he felt he deserved and just randomly went out and picked off Dave for the hell of it.

It's climax was reached by generic anti-social cues rather than a descent from his actual condition.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I thought it was good, but that's it.

Certainly not on the level of There Will Be Blood, which is probably the best film made in the last 20 years.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:dwillhuh:

@NobodyReally is spot on with everything he's said in here.

Coming from someone that had minimal knowledge of this affair going into the film (only that du Pont was a paranoid schizophrenic), I left with know perceptible insight of any of the characters' motives, no sympathy nor apathy towards anyone involved and just a general lack of understanding of everything (no backgrounds given). We never get the raw, gritty matter of the relationships/illnesses, just some surface building nonsense that really didn't go anywhere. I wasn't expecting something as vivid as 'Clean, Shaven', but this was a poor character study, which not even Carell's amazing performance could save. The final act played out like a that privilege mommy's boy who wasn't getting the attention he felt he deserved and just randomly went out and picked off Dave for the hell of it.

It's climax was reached by generic anti-social cues rather than a descent from his actual condition.

I agree with this as well..i feel that's an issue with a few of the oscar buzzed flicks (theory of everything, imitation game, foxcatcher)..i wish they had delved deeper into the characters and relationships

i just read a few articles and maybe i'm too A.D.D but i didnt think of him as a cokehead like he's described..even though they just showed him once on the heli doing it :manny:

i still liked it..i never had the urge to walkout like trk 1

HamAndEgger

All Star
Daps
Saw it last night

I was never familiar with the story itself, but John DuPont :scusthov::childplease::what::whoa:

Movie was kinda slow to start off if you're not totally familiar with the story, but Steve Carrell based on seeing what the real Jon DuPont looked like after the movie nailed that role, maybe even worth a Golden Globe nod.

I'm not a big Channing Tatum fan, but he did a good job as the younger brother. Mark Ruffalo was good too but almost an inevitable back drop. Looking up the story after the movie I found this interview with Kurt Angle who talks about almost going there the week before David was shot.

Overall, good movie but a little slow at times.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I never walk out of a movie. I mean, I paid money. Even if it sucks, I'll watch the whole thing.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Watching the movie right now

Why are these dudes sitting around in 1986 watching UFC 3 at 8 AM? shyt didn't happen for another 8 years :why:

EDIT: I'm not even sure of when that scene was supposed to be occuring. The pacing of this movie is just weird. Pretty powerful though during the second half....first half was a snoozer

Last edited: