FTC to file anti-trust lawsuit to block Activision deal

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
I’m the farthest thing from a Microsoft stan, and I fail to understand how you can effectively implement anto trust law in the gaming industry. How can you achieve monopoly or even oligopy in a market dictated by franchise IPs, which are (in theory) unlimited? Call of Duty isn’t the massive, market-defining behemoth it’s being treated as by Sony and and the FTC. It certainly wouldn’t be even if it became an exclusive for the console platform with the smallest slice of market share.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Lol @ him calling anybody a fanboy when he has a clear bias towards sony

How does he have a bias toward sony did you not see teh smear campaign he’s had against multiple of their studios?

He’s never written a piece like this about microsoft

Bathing Ape

BAPE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
JPN
What the ftc doesn’t realize that if they don’t want the deal to go thru and if it doesn’t go thru, they gonna make Microsoft play Sonys game of buying up exclusives and doing the same thing Sony has done with Xbox. I mean clearly that won’t help gaming right?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What the ftc doesn’t realize that if they don’t want the deal to go thru and if it doesn’t go thru, they gonna make Microsoft play Sonys game of buying up exclusives and doing the same thing Sony has done with Xbox. I mean clearly that won’t help gaming right?

Or it will force microsoft to invest in the 23 studios and partnerships it already has and actually release games

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m the farthest thing from a Microsoft stan, and I fail to understand how you can effectively implement anto trust law in the gaming industry. How can you achieve monopoly or even oligopy in a market dictated by franchise IPs, which are (in theory) unlimited? Call of Duty isn’t the massive, market-defining behemoth it’s being treated as by Sony and and the FTC. It certainly wouldn’t be even if it became an exclusive for the console platform with the smallest slice of market share.
I think most of it is jus due dillegence. A merger this large has to be scrutinized. Everything is just amplified cause the @Gizmo_Duck s of the world have to post re-post and debate every little thing that comes out.

Most experts have said pretty much what you did. Once it goes to court and the industry is actually analyzed there’s no real reason to block the merger.

Bathing Ape

BAPE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
JPN
How does he have a bias toward sony did you not see teh smear campaign he’s had against multiple of their studios?

He’s never written a piece like this about microsoft

Come on bruh, don’t be blind.. he clearly hates Xbox and at the end of the day he is a journalist. If he’s able to post the story, good or bad first that’s a win for him. This is the same guy who threw shade at a leaker for leaking something before him :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Come on bruh, don’t be blind.. he clearly hates Xbox and at the end of the day he is a journalist. If he’s able to post the story, good or bad first that’s a win for him. This is the same guy who threw shade at a leaker for leaking something before him :mjlol:

So im not understanding where the clear bias for sony comes in? He’s actively fought with their developers on twitter

Like Cory Barlog says he actively targets them, I’ve never seen that happen with anyone else

Bathing Ape

BAPE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
JPN
Sony and the FTC are blind to what Microsoft is truly trying to do and they have blatantly spoke on what they are trying to do. This ain’t about COD for them. Microsoft is trying to get into mobile gaming because financially that’s where it’s at. They have came out and said recently that growth for console has slowed down and pc has went up for gamepass.. everybody keeps forgetting what else comes with this deal. King pretty much owns the mobile gaming space.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sony and the FTC are blind to what Microsoft is truly trying to do

And yall said the same thing about the CMA a couple months ago and then the EU….supposedly all these governing bodies with a lot more data than people on the internet are worried about it, but according to yall they are just protecting sony or “don’t understand microsoft” lol

The regulators are doing what they are supposed to be doing when a two trillion dollar tech company starts spending upwards of 100 billion dollars in one segment of the industry.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m interested to see their antitrust case against the deal. I’m not convinced they could actually prove this deal meaningfully harms competition in the field. Seems more like we don’t want big tech getting bigger so we sue. Seems more like barking to force concessions.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Sony and the FTC are blind to what Microsoft is truly trying to do and they have blatantly spoke on what they are trying to do. This ain’t about COD for them. Microsoft is trying to get into mobile gaming because financially that’s where it’s at. They have came out and said recently that growth for console has slowed down and pc has went up for gamepass.. everybody keeps forgetting what else comes with this deal. King pretty much owns the mobile gaming space.

"This aint about COD to them" is some of the dumbest shyt to come out of this acquisition. Idk how people fall for this obvious okie doke.

Yeah, its definitely not about one of the biggest assets in this acquisition, and gaming in general, which directly benefits a business that MS is currently in, and instead about an entirely different market that MS isnt even participating in yet. :krs: :krs:

You would think that if this wasn't about COD, then MS would've given the CMA what they wanted in terms of legal remedies.