FTC sues to Block M$-Activision deal

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Skyrim is on Playstation Plus right now
I mean they walking into a court of law like this company has a history of doing this so we need to block them from buying another company and literally their history is 3 games that have not been released two of which are new IPs and one of which doesn't even have a release date.

Meanwhile Microsoft is like here's a binding legal contract that says we won't do that.

Most airtight case I've ever seen in my life. We should all be able to sue based on our opinion of what another party will do citing events that haven't happened.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

CNBC is not impressed with the lawsuit from the FTC. Reaching like Dhalsim.

It's kind of baffling to see the FTC build a case that's designed to protect the interest of a single competitor in the market especially when that competitor is effectively a monopoly in that defined market. The high end gaming console market it like 70ish % Sony 30ish percent Microsoft. The case is they could damage the company that holds 70% of this market.

Even if Microsoft yanked Call of Duty from PlayStation entirely what does it maybe go to 50-50 at best?

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
It's kind of baffling to see the FTC build a case that's designed to protect the interest of a single competitor in the market especially when that competitor is effectively a monopoly in that defined market. The high end gaming console market it like 70ish % Sony 30ish percent Microsoft. The case is they could damage the company that holds 70% of this market.

Even if Microsoft yanked Call of Duty from PlayStation entirely what does it maybe go to 50-50 at best?
Lina Khan is an ideologue, none of that matters to her. They are hoping to now make Microsoft give up because if they felt that they had a strong case, it'd go to a federal court instead of placing this for August 2023. Because they want it in their internal court and just run out the clock on the acquisition. So, if the CMA, EU and China approves, Microsoft comes back at the FTC and basically says Knuck if you Buck and see you in court. Virtually everyone sees through this.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
You have a single game that has also yet to be released. Where are the others? You said Fallout and Doom are exclusive as well. Where are the actual released games that Microsoft has either pulled off PlayStation or franchises they've done that too since the merger?

If the EU felt Microsoft violated their pitch for purchasing Zenimax they have avenues to rectify that
You asked for one example and I gave you one. Fallout and doom will be announced as exclusive when they're eventually announced. Like I said, it would be a PR nightmare for microsoft to pull released games that people have already paid for off playstation.

the EU nor the FTC ever claimed that microsoft violated some agreement. The EU was only clarifying the reason that deal has been referenced. Essentially they feel like Microsoft is using the same language that they used with the Bethesda deal, so they aren't gonna just take their word for it this time.
You're suggesting the court looks at I guess just Elder Scrolls a yet to even be released game and extrapolate that instance to all games even in the face of Microsoft presenting a binding contract saying they won't do that with Call of Duty? Good luck.
I'm not suggesting the courts do anything, I was explaining why the Bethesda deal was brought up.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If Disney can buy fox and there is no blockage or concessions MS buying AB shouldn't be a problem at all.
Anyone with common sense that doesn't have personal interest or just a fan boy knows it.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If Disney can buy fox and there is no blockage or concessions MS buying AB shouldn't be a problem at all.
Anyone with common sense that doesn't have personal interest or just a fan boy knows it.
That happened under a different administration and even then they had to divest their sports networks as a concession. I mean, I don't get you people. You're in here whining about a regulatory body doing what they should have been doing a long time ago.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Different administration

Different politics at the moment
Right, I get that still...
That happened under a different administration and even then they had to divest their sports networks as a concession. I mean, I don't get you people. You're in here whining about a regulatory body doing what they should have been doing a long time ago.
I actually forgot about the sports stuff. But who's whining? The fact of the matter is there is nothing to "protect" Blocking this because of worries of potential future abuse is some minority report type behavior.

The only gaming company to currently show monopolistic behavior in the gaming sector is Sony and the Sony playstation.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Right, I get that still...

I actually forgot about the sports stuff. But who's whining? The fact of the matter is there is nothing to "protect" Blocking this because of worries of potential future abuse is some minority report type behavior.

The only gaming company to currently show monopolistic behavior in the gaming sector is Sony and the Sony playstation.
Microsoft has history in this area. Everything they do should be heavily scrutinized.

The fact that you believe what's in bold says it all. :francis:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not gonna play word games with you.

I said Microsoft told regulators they had no intent to make games exclusive. That's true.

I posted a statement directly from regulators stating that microsoft clarified that the intent of the acquisition wasn't exclusivity because there was no incentive to do that.
nikka you said the words. You the one now “playing”

That’s not true. Maybe you don’t know how intent or incentive or any of these words work.

I posted the direct statement from the EU. Nothing there says they didn’t have any intent or incentive to make the games exclsuive.

The words are literally all there. They specifically detail what the incentive would be to make the games exclusive.

the profitability of a strategy to make ZeniMax games exclusive to the Xbox console would depend on a trade-off between: (i) the value of attracting new players to the Xbox ecosystem; and (ii) the lost income from the sale of ZeniMax games for rival consoles
Nothing here speaks to any intent. It’s about profitability. And then, they literally detail what the incentive would be to make the games exclusive.

Do you speak english??

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Fanboy fake lawyers are the worst
Sony controls the majority of the console market that argument is concrete
Microsoft has maybe like a fourth or a third of the market not the majority

Any lawsuit is gonna be hard pressed to argue against the smaller market share holding a monopoly which is why everyone with sense is scoffing at this shyt

Sony is gonna die but not until a decade down the line