Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

iseetrolledpeople

A silent witness to all this trolling going on.
Daps
I got FLAC on deck but I ain't sharing siht.

Bout smoke, put my big ass headphones and listen to it.

All I'm expecting is at LEAST half of Piñata :blessed:

Brb.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I'm in the "getting familiar" phase but it's already dope af and I can tell they didn't let us down. :obama:
So far it seems like the wait was worth it and that was kind of a big ask cause this is a follow up to Pinata which is my favorite album of the '10s

Currently Situations, Half Manne Half Cocaine, Flat Tummy Tea, Cataracts, Gat Damn, Palmolive are the favs but I'm ricking with all these tracks
Madlib really let loose some of his weirdest, obscurest (but dope sounding) beats on Gibbs :merchant: and Gibbs could fit them like how he fits any beat :ohlawd:

Also the mood of the album is a bit different, while Pinata was more blaxploitation shyt mixed with summery themes to me, this has a darker, moodier vibe mixed with some Eastern influence like Indian samples and the Japanes guy talking :russ: Madlib and Gibbs did a good job creating an atmosphere.

The guests did justice too, Mos Def finally actually rapping on a sample :whoo: Black Thought as good as always, Pusha killed it, Paak killed it, it's kind of a pity that Killer Mike only did hooks but he did that good :yeshrug:

I will have a good time listening to this :wow:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I'm in the "getting familiar" phase but it's already dope af and I can tell they didn't let us down. :obama:
So far it seems like the wait was worth it and that was kind of a big ask cause this is a follow up to Pinata which is my favorite album of the '10s
:ohlawd:

Yeah it was a huge ask the more I think about it. Not one person had low expectations for this and by all accounts of early critic reviews, opinions on here, and my own two ears, it seems like they met expectations at the very least.

I listened 3 times and I'ma chill on it until tomorrow morning. My 1st listen (especially if it's a producer I love like Madlib) is mostly to pay attention to the intricacies of the production. The 2nd listen is to pay more attention to the rhyming and to really try and catch the lyrics. Then after that I can really listen and soak it all in at once and start appreciating the depth on repeated listens.

On none of my 3 listens today except the 1st one did I have any urge to skip anything other than Flat Tummy Tea, and that's mostly because I've worn it the fukk out since it was released.

Dontay Flaco

fka King Napz
Daps
Reppin
VA
Fake names

giphy.gif
I love how that track is a continuation of Palmolive. I was not expecting that. :wow:
Here's the demo beat.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Is it just me or are the vocals real quiet/background and/or real echoed?

Edit: listening on a speaker now instead of headphones and it doesn't sound that way. But when I bumped Cataracts in the whip the vocals sounded way in the background and all echoed out
In my car on Cataracts the vocals sounded a little "off in the distance-ish". I like that old D&D dusty, not mixed incredibly sound though, so I didn't really mind it. I also noticed it a little bit on Education.