Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

classicmaterial

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
In my car on Cataracts the vocals sounded a little "off in the distance-ish". I like that old D&D dusty, not mixed incredibly sound though, so I didn't really mind it. I also noticed it a little bit on Education.

Yeah I noticed it a lot on Education. Especially at the beginning of Black Thought's verse

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Giving this is a 98/100. Wine scores. Too early to tell, but this is probably going to be too 5 rap album of the last decade for me. Pinata was incredible, had so many songs that hit a groove. Bandana really does have a timeless sound. This will age better than Pinata, and is far more cohesive, especially on the guest verses. Worth the wait. They don’t make em like this. Sound is new, old, and ain’t even out yet.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I know I keep halfway sample snitching but is the voice in the 2nd beat on Fake Names the Jay-Z Can’t Knock the Hustle vocal sample?

I’m looking too deep into it but Gibbs also says “cocksucker beat it” on there and Jay said that on Imaginary Player.
In massage seats he makes a play on "I was popping Cristal when a lot of y'all nikkas thought it was beer n shyt" too

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Beat Switch on Half Manne Half Cocaine :scust::scust::scust::scust::scust::scust::scust:
buckle up breh you're in for a ride

Giving this is a 98/100. Wine scores. Too early to tell, but this is probably going to be too 5 rap album of the last decade for me. Pinata was incredible, had so many songs that hit a groove. Bandana really does have a timeless sound. This will age better than Pinata, and is far more cohesive, especially on the guest verses. Worth the wait. They don’t make em like this. Sound is new, old, and ain’t even out yet.
What's dope about this too is it's like 10-15 mins shorter than Pinata but almost sounds like there's more there because when you add up all the beat switches there's more beats here than on Pinata by a handful.

The album is the perfect length. I've always enjoyed shorter albums and unless usually after an hour I start to tune out no matter who it is. I do remember on Pinata a few times when Shame came on (which I played out before the album even dropped) I would sometimes skip to the last song and then turn it off after Gibbs' verse.

So Bandana being about 45 minutes is basically the sweet spot for me. Long enough for me to listen to the whole thing without wanting getting bored or wanting to skip anything. I also dig the spacing of the guest spots. They have a guest spot on approx. every 5th song. That's unusual and especially to have a joint with Thought and Mos as basically your album closer with just one track after?
:ohhh:
Most artists would put at least a couple tracks after that to let the listener cool down. This album is the definition of leaving you just full enough but still wanting a little bit more.

Yet they pull it off.
:banderas:

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
which one? :sas1::sas2:
Good point :pachaha: Nah but the first beat hit me like
nfFSRhb.jpg