“Frankly, I hate dialogue,”

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Facts. Brehs being up "Raiders of the Lost Ark" as if it doesn't have "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?" Or "Die Hard" as if it doesn't have "Welcome to the party pal," "Yippie ki yay motherfukker," or the scene where Hans and John run into each other. Good movies have great visuals or great dialogue, great movies typically have a bit of both in some measure.

What's even funnier is that two of the most remembered scenes in one of Villeneuve's own movies, Sicario are because of the dialogue. The scene where Alejandro interrupts Alarcon's dinner to kill his family and then him (which you could argue was let down by editing the scene to not visually show the family being shot, and net giving enough time to Alejandro forcing Alarcon to eat before finally shooting him), and the scene at the end where Alejandro drops the land of wolves quote.

Homie is just feeling himself right now, and trying to say dialogue is trash while complaining about television is a heat check. :mjlol:
That Sicario scene is a fair point, but I also think or wonder even if Benicio had sat in silence and then did what he did it still would’ve been very memorable, but I have to say the dialogue there was excellent.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
I loved Sicario. Some of the better parts of that movie had little to nikka words. He built the tension heavily that way.

The ride thru Juarez had very few words but the images and implied danger during that ride. We were all bracing for whatever they were going to deliver us. We knew violence was coming, but the images built that tension and the little, but brutal violence we did get at the border, was paid off… all set by the images building tension

So I get what he’s saying. But dialogue is VERY important as you all have shown. But you don’t need a bunch of words to help make films. Dialogue helps drive home the images or helps build out the world where images can’t. You need a bit of both, especially when telling complex stories.

The stories/plots would need to be a bit more simplified if you want no dialogue

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: at people in here trying to shoot him bail. Nah, it was a dumb ass thing to say. Talented person says something stupid volume #26738391250. It happens, these people aren't infallible.

Every movie listed in this thread, for its iconic scenes, has equally memorable dialogue. Let's not be silly people. Hell, look at the golden age of TV. Any show you can mention ("The Sopranos", "The Wire", "Breaking Bad", "Game Of Thrones" etc.) has a fukk ton of memorable dialogue.

Fred.
Villeneuve mentions dialogue is for television. Hex responds listing TV shows

:troll:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That Sicario scene is a fair point, but I also think or wonder even if Benicio had sat in silence and then did what he did it still would’ve been very memorable, but I have to say the dialogue there was excellent.

I think, at least as the scene came across for me, the dialogue was needed to fully express both that Alarcon is defiant until he realizes that he's going to die in front of his family, and then that he can't die in front of them if they're already dead. It also put me in the mindset that Alejandro wanted to make him feel what it's like to have a dinner without his family. And to the credit of the visuals and nonverbal acting, that Alejandro gets frustrated and just kills him.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
George is one of the greatest fantasy authors ever, as good as Tolkien. Most of the great dialogue is lifted directly from the books. We saw what happened after season 4 since it was the final season that they had access to source material.

I know lots of dialogue was lifted from the book, but still there's also great dialogue outside of the book. Are you telling me, as revered as Herbert's DUNE BOOK is, there's no good dialogue in it? Because there certainly is no good dialogue in the DUNE MOVIES.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Definitely not surprising come from a director, especially the director of Dune. Most directors have big egos so it's not hard to believe they would think some lowly writer's words are just getting in the way of their oh so brilliant artistic vision.

It's really all about the execution of both the script and the direction coming together. The script is the foundation of every movie. Bad dialogue sucks of course, but if its well-written dialogue, it can balance seamlessly with and even improve the visuals. When you think about the best movies, all the elements come together perfectly.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Villeneuve mentions dialogue is for television. Hex responds listing TV shows

:troll:

I responded before I had any coffee.

Basically what I mean is, it makes no sense to say TV corrupted movies when good/great dialogue in TV is a relatively recent (compared to movies I mean) trend. TV just caught up to movies in the last 20 or so years.

Fred.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I know lots of dialogue was lifted from the book, but still there's also great dialogue outside of the book. Are you telling me, as revered as Herbert's DUNE BOOK is, there's no good dialogue in it? Because there certainly is no good dialogue in the DUNE MOVIES.
Herbert is a weird writer. I was never wow’d personally by his writing like I have been with Martin or Tolkien. Martin has genuinely made my jaw drop with how good his writing is. Herbert had a lot of great ideas, world building etc that makes up for it.

Daps
This is a strangely reductive concept of what a film is. I love iconic images like the ones from Melies or the famous one from "Safety Last!" too, but movies evolved from just being that a long time ago.

If Villeneuve values strong images without dialogue that much, he should become a painter or a photographer.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
If Villeneuve values strong images without dialogue that much, he should become a painter.

I'd say his body of work, Dune and Bladerunner, are pretty telling of his preference for images.

I'm in the minority, but Dune the book was way way way way better than Dune the movie. And BR 1 is way better than 2049.

I rocks with Arrival (which is about language, lulz, shout to to Ted Chiang) and Sicario a lot though.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Herbert is a weird writer. I was never wow’d personally by his writing like I have been with Martin or Tolkien. Martin has genuinely made my jaw drop with how good his writing is. Herbert had a lot of great ideas, world building etc that makes up for it.

Yeah, Herbert’s strengths was the world building, social concepts and imagination rather than verbose dialogue IMO

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I'd say his body of work, Dune and Bladerunner, are pretty telling of his preference for images.

I'm in the minority, but Dune the book was way way way way better than Dune the movie. And BR 1 is way better than 2049.

I rocks with Arrival (which is about language, lulz, shout to to Ted Chiang) and Sicario a lot though.
I definitely think the margin of difference between BR and BR2049 is very thin, I grew up watching Blade Runner with my dad and there are aspects of BR2049 that I think is better. The fact that it’s even close is a testament to Denis’ skills. He progressed and expanded the ideas of the original film effortlessly. I don’t think there is a single director living today that could come so close to surpassing a classic film decades after it was originally released. Aliens comes to mind but Cameron flipped the script on the original by transforming it into an action film rather than horror. Denis just continued what the original setup which I think is more challenging in a way.