“Frankly, I hate dialogue,”

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think people are taking the comments too literal. To me the immediate film I thought of was Raiders Of The Last Ark. The opening scene has no dialogue, followed by minor dialogue that leads in and out of a chase scene. Then you get the big exposition dialogue scene at the university where the Ark Of The Covenant is explained, but many of the following scenes have limited to no dialogue.

A lot of those classic action films of the 70s and 80s had similar approaches to dialogue where they let scenes breath and even established characters without conversation or exposition. A pretty stark contrast to an era where every blockbuster has a genius girl or woman character who must explain quantum physics in her first scene so the audience understands She Is Very Smart. Or a heroic guy who must have external dialogue detailing his every thought and quip while fighting a monster or completing a superhuman feat of athleticism.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I think people are taking the comments too literal. To me the immediate film I thought of was Raiders Of The Last Ark. The opening scene has no dialogue, followed by minor dialogue that leads in and out of a chase scene. Then you get the big exposition dialogue scene at the university where the Ark Of The Covenant is explained, but many of the following scenes have limited to no dialogue.

A lot of those classic action films of the 70s and 80s had similar approaches to dialogue where they let scenes breath and even established characters without conversation or exposition. A pretty stark contrast to an era where every blockbuster has a genius girl or woman character who must explain quantum physics in her first scene so the audience understands She Is Very Smart. Or a heroic guy who must have external dialogue detailing his every thought and quip while fighting a monster or completing a superhuman feat of athleticism.

Important to note that Denis is ESL, French is his primary language. Nuance is the first thing that gets lost in translation, then you have a writer trying to generate a clickbait title, you’re 100% right and great examples. Spielberg is so good

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Bane & Thanos barring niccas up in their respective villain roles >>>

"And you think this gives you power over me?" :banderas:

"Ohhh....you think darkness is your ally? The shadows betray you because they belong to ME!!"
full

"Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same"

"You couldn't live with your failure, and where did that bring you? Back to me..."
full

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation

A big part of this is the visual. The dialogue is icing. The iconic silhouette of Indy, doesn't need much dialogue. The scene with her drinking in a bet doesn't need much dialogue and whatever words that is there is just ambience.

Today's filmmakers overuse dialogue as a crutch for bad filmmaking.

Another good example is Star Wars.

Luke walks out and looks at the sunset without a single word spoken. He wants more than a farmers life and just looks in the horizon for a more hopeful and meaningful future.

A lot of big Hollywood movies today don't leave room for subtlety or interpretation .

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
A big part of this is the visual. The dialogue is icing. The iconic silhouette of Indy, doesn't need much dialogue. The scene with her drinking in a bet doesn't need much dialogue and whatever words that is there is just ambience.

Today's filmmakers overuse dialogue as a crutch for bad filmmaking.

Another good example is Star Wars.

Luke walks out and looks at the sunset without a single word spoken. He wants more than a farmers life and just looks in the horizon for a more hopeful and meaningful future.

A lot of big Hollywood movies today don't leave room for subtlety or interpretation .

Agreed and a perfect example of why so many films are bad: the writing is bad. There's less emphasis on studying great films, less reading of literature, and more focus on modern tropes or behaviors (see: the twitter-ization of so much film dialogue).

For such a complex film full of exposition, The Matrix doesn't have as much dialogue as we remember. A lot of it is action scenes interjected with some short dialogue. Mad Max: Fury Road takes a similar approach and probably has even less dialogue. I would argue the blueprint of these films can be traced back to Raiders, alongside the serials and westerns that inspired it. Brooding, silent heroes. Imposing, calm villains. Everything else is aesthetic.

You also see this in the science fiction films that inspired Villeneuve. There's not a lot of dialogue in Alien. Blade Runner's dialogue is pretty sparse compared to the focus on its visuals. Going beyond Ridley Scott's sci fi films...The Duelist is incredibly sparse on dialogue. Outside of Tim Curry's (amazing) scenes, Legend largely focused on the visuals too. The aesthetics of these films - the way they look, the way they sound, the vibe they portray - are all most important than what is being said. I think that's a pretty key aspect of a lot of the filmmakers who made the coolest shyt. Michael Mann comes to mind too. It seems like execs have decided you cannot make films like this today because the audience has to constantly feel like they're in a car with a main character who provides zingy, fun banter.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Awful take, from an overrated director.

before you Cinemafags neg me to hell, I said overrated, not bad.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Agreed and a perfect example of why so many films are bad: the writing is bad. There's less emphasis on studying great films, less reading of literature, and more focus on modern tropes or behaviors (see: the twitter-ization of so much film dialogue).

For such a complex film full of exposition, The Matrix doesn't have as much dialogue as we remember. A lot of it is action scenes interjected with some short dialogue. Mad Max: Fury Road takes a similar approach and probably has even less dialogue. I would argue the blueprint of these films can be traced back to Raiders, alongside the serials and westerns that inspired it. Brooding, silent heroes. Imposing, calm villains. Everything else is aesthetic.

You also see this in the science fiction films that inspired Villeneuve. There's not a lot of dialogue in Alien. Blade Runner's dialogue is pretty sparse compared to the focus on its visuals. Going beyond Ridley Scott's sci fi films...The Duelist is incredibly sparse on dialogue. Outside of Tim Curry's (amazing) scenes, Legend largely focused on the visuals too. The aesthetics of these films - the way they look, the way they sound, the vibe they portray - are all most important than what is being said. I think that's a pretty key aspect of a lot of the filmmakers who made the coolest shyt. Michael Mann comes to mind too. It seems like execs have decided you cannot make films like this today because the audience has to constantly feel like they're in a car with a main character who provides zingy, fun banter.
I don't think it really come from Raiders. It was part and parcel a part of the fabric of movie making then. Back then it was all about the artistry and show don't tell was a part of that artistry. You'll see it just as much in movies like Spartacus.

I mean, who remembers what Corleone said to the baker when he asked how he was gonna handle the thug at the beginning of The Godfather? we all just remember the beautiful Spanish curtains.
Despite your sarcasm, Godfather's introduction is actually a great example.

In a genius scene that sets up the Corleone family, we witness various characters and how they handle themselves.

Don is doing business at his daughter's wedding. He does deals for people. A favor me, a favor for you. Loyalty is paramount. All people come to the Don.

Sonny is off chasing tail. His wife chats with the girls about Sonny's shlong and Sonny is always off getting that thing in some girl. We learn about this from watching the movie. It's never said Sonny is a philanderer once and you don't actually hear his wife talk about his D. It's inferred through the visuals.

Michael, like always, is by himself, away from the family. He brings a blonde haired Ivy league broad to an Italian family outing. Sonny hates that Michael rejects the Italian part of himself and is embarrassed Michael would dare bring a non Italian woman to his sister's wedding. Again, this is inferred without one lick of dialogue.

In the opening scene there's a contrast between Don's office which is dark, lights off, which represents the dark dealings of the family, and the broad daylight of the wedding party, which is the official public face of the family. On one hand it's an Italian family that strives to embrace tradition. On the other, there's a dark, sinister part of the family that truly runs it: the crime and mob parts of it.

Yes, there's dialogue and yes it's important. But the visuals, the sound design, the atmosphere (the darkness of Don's office;etc.) help craft the movie into what it is. While watching the introduction you'll be surprised by how little actual dialogue there is outside of the Don's office.