Forza Motorsport (PC, Xbox Series X|S) (October 10, 2023)

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL

"All new car-building focused single player career mode." 6:05

They kind of have that with the mandatory build-ups of cars in their conventional career mode. You had to go spendy on a car in the restrictive classes or buy one premodified, otherwise you'd be dust. I'm hoping this is nothing like that.

I hate to say it, but GT4 isn't that fully fledged in modern times, yet it is the one career mode nobody can beat.

I am hopeful they got more gameplay to share, as its been a long time. However, the operative word in that video was "ground-up" and that leaves me thinking they worked on sensory presentation and less on gameplay.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This presentation was for someone like me.

"Hey, this game is going to look great, the physics are on-point and it's going to sound great."

On the tech side, it seems like most things were tuned up for the current-gen (and PC).

They have my attention, I hope they bring it home with a good "career" mode and customizable online play.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Kind of a bummer they've already geared up the DLC content with rescinding what's been showcased. :francis:

Still looking forwards to it, just lame considering how awful the penny pinching was in 7.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

If they don't lean in hard to the motorsport aspect then it'll be a total fumble. They need to cultivate moderately skilled racers so that online isn't a complete shyt show. I'm already not confident that the handling model will be much of a simulation, but just a heavier, more lethargic version of Horizon's handling.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Ghost mode needs to be standard when racing online, that would make all those rammers go away
GT7's rating system seems to do a good job of separating the wheat from the chaff, and ACC's system seems granular enough to do the same. But frankly I don't think Turn 10 cares enough. Casual racing and visual fidelity are the focus from the bits of gameplay we've seen so far.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Ghost mode needs to be standard when racing online, that would make all those rammers go away

Ideally, any push that would cause substantial traction loss should be automatically ghosted. :ehh: But they already advertised the "grittiness" of racing, as if we all want some Mad Max racing. Even Driveavtars are historically brutal.

Give me some clean racing, and let me take out the AI with impunity to get one for the humans. :mjcry:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Ideally, any push that would cause substantial traction loss should be automatically ghosted. :ehh: But they already advertised the "grittiness" of racing, as if we all want some Mad Max racing. Even Driveavtars are historically brutal.

Give me some clean racing, and let me take out the AI with impunity to get one for the humans. :mjcry:
The 2-5 lap mad dash from last place format that they use for single player races breeds this style of racing. Horizon drivatars have ungodly abilities until you get past them, then it's child's play. So you struggle until you get a bumper ahead into first, then waltz away. There's no disincentive for ramming.

To me the grittiness of racing comes from tight battles where you spend a couple of laps setting up a pass. A high speed game of chess. But you need trust with the other guy to have something like that. Unfortunately, crashing and shyt is where entertainment is for most people. That's why NASCAR, Indycar, F1 promos almost always are low key crash montages.