Forza Horizon 3 aka "The Goat Racer" Official Thread

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Seems like the PC version might need a patch to fix streaming issues above 30fps with reports of hitching/stuttering and dips with even high spec'd PCs. Max settings 30fps seems to be fine.

If I wanted to enjoy FH3 anywhere near the rock-solid 60fps refresh that I got from Forza Apex 6 on Windows 10, I had only one option: 1080p resolution at "dynamic high" visual settings. This setting survived the Water's Way race more than any other, surpassing 1440p at "dynamic medium" and 4K at "dynamic low," and it also held up throughout the course of normal racing throughout the massive expanses of Forza's virtual Australia.

But that's not to say 1080p on "dynamic high" is a clear victory for PC gamers, at least in the PC version's launch state. Geometrical pop-in is still pretty severe in this preset, so I saw elements like houses magically appear in the game's house-loaded towns as I approached them, while elements such as trees would transform with richer-looking foliage once they were quite close to my car. What's more, I still saw out-of-nowhere hitches and stutters pretty frequently. These don't get in the way of a perfectly smooth racing experience, but they'd be more forgivable if I was pushing the edges of 4K rendering. A locked 1080p/60 shouldn't be this hard to come by on such a high-powered PC, especially after making the aforementioned visual sacrifices to get it.

Conversely, locking the Windows 10 version at 30fps—well, by golly, it works. As in, I can jack up every setting to maximum, including a staggering 4K resolution, and run FH3 at 30fps without seeing a single dip or drag into sub-30 territory. This is interesting, because the 980Ti is expressly not advertised as a 4K-ready video card—at least, not compared to this year's wave of refreshed cards—and yet my 980Ti system careens at 4K resolution with a frame rate lock to 30 in place. The effects are not insubstantial, either, and the combination of 8X MSAA, highest-res textures, highest-density foliage, and material-based lighting systems really looks unbelievable on a 4K display

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Seems like the PC version might need a patch to fix streaming issues above 30fps with reports of hitching/stuttering and dips with even high spec'd PCs. Max settings 30fps seems to be fine.
It's difficult to get these open world games running at locked 60fps on any hardware. PC dudes wanna call them "bad ports" but in reality there's just too much going on to have it locked at 60fps without making huge compromises in visuals. It's why consoles don't even attempt 60fps with open world games.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's difficult to get these open world games running at locked 60fps on any hardware. PC dudes wanna call them "bad ports" but in reality there's just too much going on to have it locked at 60fps without making huge compromises in visuals. It's why consoles don't even attempt 60fps with open world games.
This isn't true. There's plenty of open world games that run at PC with locked 60fps on capable hardware without these issues:

GTA V, Witcher 3, Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry games, Batman AK etc.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This isn't true. There's plenty of open world games that run at PC with locked 60fps on capable hardware without these issues:

GTA V, Witcher 3, Shadows of Mordor
With the card dude has no way in hell he could play GTA or The witcher at high resolutions and locked 60fps.

The hell you talking about :heh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
With the card dude has no way in hell he could play GTA or The witcher at high resolutions and locked 60fps.

The hell you talking about :heh:
Yeah it can.

A 980 TI can run GTA V at an average of 48fps at 4K very high settings w/ 2xMSAA.

Quite often, there's a setting or two that can be turned down that give a big boost in fps while barely looking different. 2XMSAA is unnecessary at 4K and there's a multitude of settings that can be simply dialed down to high and whatnot and there's your 60fps.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

This isn't necessarily true breh

:patrice:

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
I'm into racing heavy

I thought driveclub could restore the feeling :wow:

I got a racing wheel at my crib collecting dust

@Hiphoplives4eva I'm willing to try the Xbox out if you ship me one like you did the other dude who got his shyt ran ...

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
No the fukk it can't :mjlol:

You gone retarded today breh?:wtf:

He was close, it's 43.9

gtav_3840_2160.png

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No the fukk it can't :mjlol:

You gone retarded today breh?:wtf:
It can't?
A 980 Ti can't run GTAV at 4K 48fps very high settings(some high)with 2XMSAA?

index.php

image_resize.php

GTAV.png

GTAV fans that game at 4K resolutions will enjoy what the GeForce GTX 980 Ti has to offer, as we saw a very playable 44fps at 2160p. This meant that the GTX 980 Ti was just 6% slower than the Titan X, while it was 22% faster than the GTX 980 and 33% faster than the R9 290X.

Heck for icing on the cake here's some other games:

index.php

index.php

index.php

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming OC Review
It's possible. Just like how it's possible to play games in 4K on a RX 480 according to you for $200 :mjlol:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It can't?
A 980 Ti can't run GTAV at 4K 48fps very high settings(some high)with 2XMSAA?
image_resize.php

GTAV.png

It's possible. Just like how it's possible to play games in 4K on a RX 480 according to you for $200 :mjlol:
That's with all types of sacrifices already being made.

On true "very high" quality you can't even get 30fps with that card.

And no matter what the fukk you do you are not getting a locked 60fps at 4K with that card:camby: