Forbes - "MLB sees record growth in 2016"

Oville

Pro
Daps
the viewing demographic is old..not the actual players. Old white guys are where the ratings are coming from in large numbers

Fisher says the average baseball fan and TV viewer is over 55 years old. "That's a problem baseball needs to address or it won't have that much of a future," Fisher warned.

In short, baseball watchers are older than their counterparts. The median age of a baseball viewer is 53 years old, according to ESPN, compared to 47 in the National Football League. Separtately, the National Basketball Association's median fan age is just 37. Even more troubling, says Fisher, is that baseball is failing to connect with younger fans and bring in a new generation.

Aging baseball seeks its elusive 'cool factor'
Again a lot of these ratings metrics are based on national tv ratings but if u go by local ratings in individual markets I bet youd see young people making up a higher percentage. Baseballs real issue is that its become too regional but young fans still watch their team

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
The NBA just doubled it's revenue since their last CBA, it doesn't bother me because the NBA is growing at a fast rate. This is a marathon, and the NBA has other international markets it can spread out to, MLB has other international markets as well, the NFL doesn't and the only place it can go is down :mjlol:

I know the CTE is affecting your thought process, but look at what the NBA had a few years ago, now the average team is worth a billion....yet it's not on the come up? :wtf:

I always see you bring up this talking point, but it's not true. There are football leagues popping up all over the world, and they're becoming more and more popular. Within the next 10 years you'll see American Football starting to grow exponentially in Central and South America.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
I always see you bring up this talking point, but it's not true. There are football leagues popping up all over the world, and they're becoming more and more popular. Within the next 10 years you'll see American Football starting to grow exponentially in Central and South America.

:dead:

Yeah, one video changes the fact that sport isn't cost effective for the rest of the world. Worldwide viewership doesn't match what you're trying to spin.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
:dead:

Yeah, one video changes the fact that sport isn't cost effective for the rest of the world. Worldwide viewership doesn't match what you're trying to spin.

That video was showing a point, American Football is becoming a global game. There are leagues in Mexico, China, Brazil, Sweden, Israel, Japan, etc.
The growth is still in its infancy, but to say the game is only relevant in the U.S. is a blatant lie.

Over 2,000 people went to see a Santos Tsunami exhibition game at the Vila Belmiro on a Monday night. That's a big deal when you consider the average attendance for Santos FC games is around 8,000 people, and the majority of their games are on weekends.

Last edited:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
That video was showing a point, American Football is becoming a global game. There are leagues in Mexico, China, Brazil, Sweden, Israel, Japan, etc.
The growth is still in its infancy, but to say the game is only relevant in the U.S. is a blatant lie.

There are cricket and lacrosse leagues here in the US, and? You're trying to paint it as these countries having sustainable professional leagues which couldn't be further from the truth.

Your point about China is comical, there are 5,000 people that play handegg there....a country of 1.4 billion people :mjlol: It's a cost prohibitive sport, it requires expensive equipment which is why you named a bunch of wealthy nations and even they don't fukk with it as much as you were hoping.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
This was easily the best World Series in at least the last 10 years. Plus you had teams like the Dodgers and the Cubs in the playoffs, two of arguably the biggest markets in the nation. The MLB EASILY made 1 billion off the playoffs alone, probably more. The thing about baseball and football is that it's sooooo do or die, only so few teams make it to the playoffs.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
There are cricket and lacrosse leagues here in the US, and?

So there are thousand of people in the U.S. going to cricket and lacrosse games, and millions more watching the top leagues on TV :jbhmm:

Your point about China is comical, there are 5,000 people that play handegg there....a country of 1.4 billion people :mjlol: It's a cost prohibitive sport, it requires expensive equipment which is why you named a bunch of wealthy nations

The Chinese Arena League has been a relative success in its debut season, and it's exposing the game to a demographic that's never seen it before. The number of Chinese kids participating in youth teams has already started to increase. And whether people play the game or not the amount of people that watch it around the world is going up every year. The coverage the sport has gotten in Brazil went from virtually non-existent a few years ago to weekly coverage on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday.

They don't fukk with it as much as you were hoping.

I don't watch American football, I spend my Saturdays and Sundays watching actual football and MMA. So I'm not "hoping" for anything.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Again a lot of these ratings metrics are based on national tv ratings but if u go by local ratings in individual markets I bet youd see young people making up a higher percentage. Baseballs real issue is that its become too regional but young fans still watch their team

obviously thee are younger people watching it but it's clear as day they MLB doesn't connect with the younger masses like the NBA. MLB also does attract the diversity of races/nationalities that the NBA does. So basically the MLB's on saving point is that old(er) white guys with probable:mjpls:thoughts are overwhelmingly carrying their viewership/supporting them.

:wtf:

I've never said the NBA would be number 1 in the US, your concussions are getting to you breh :hubie:. I know how racist this country is and a sport with highly visible black men with tats making a quarter of a billion dollars wont ever be #1.

The NBA however will be a global sport, unlike the NFL, because it's a sport poor people can play. Nobody outside North America gives a fukk about Handegg, as seen by the fact the superbowl is broadcasted to "1 billion people" yet 99% of the viewers are US, Canada and Mexico :dead: China just started their own professional league? Word? Stephon Marbury has a statue there :mjlol:

Even Larry Bird knows this...

ESPN host Jim Gray asked Bird whether the NBA lacks enough white superstars.

"Well, I think so," said Bird, the Indiana Pacers' president of basketball operations. "You know, when I played, you had me and Kevin [McHale] and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Bird: NBA needs additional white stars

that older white guy logic:mjpls:

Oville

Pro
Daps
obviously thee are younger people watching it but it's clear as day they MLB doesn't connect with the younger masses like the NBA. MLB also does attract the diversity of races/nationalities that the NBA does. So basically the MLB's on saving point is that old(er) white guys with probable:mjpls:thoughts are overwhelmingly carrying their viewership/supporting them.

\\\

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NBA viewership is the dominant sport with young people overall but this idea that its only older heads that watch baseball is way overhyped. MLB does attract multiple races and nationalities on a global level. If you take into consider all the latino nationalities and Japan and Korea. There's more diversity on a baseball field than in any other sport.They need to do a better job with connecting with black America though

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
\\\

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MLB does attract multiple races and nationalities on a global level. If you take into consider all the latino nationalities and Japan and Korea.

it's not on the nba's level of diversty and age range proportions

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-05%20at%2012.19.47%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-05%20at%2012.31.09%20PM.png

and...the nba even got the Asians:ehh:

Demo Reel, Part 3: Except For NBA, Not Much Diversity in Sports TV Audience

Sports Media Watch presents a three-part examination of sports viewer demographics. Today, race.

The NBA is a veritable melting pot compared to the other leagues when it comes to minority viewership. Of the events analyzed in the ‘demo reel’ series, the NBA Finals easily had the highest percentage of African American, Hispanic and Asian viewers.

African Americans made up between 32% and 38% of the audience for the NBA Finals, with viewership ranging from 5.1 to 8.4 million. Only the WNBA Finals had a higher percentage of African American viewership, ranging from 34% to 42% of the audience, and no other event attracted more than 3.5 million (NCAA Tournament title game).

Between 15% and 17% of the NBA Finals audience came from the Hispanic demographic, easily outpacing the World Series (8-10%). Hispanic viewership ranged from 2.1 million to 4.1 million; no other event examined earned more than 1.8 million (World Series Game 6).

Finally, Asian viewers made up a more modest 7-8% of the NBA Finals audience, but that was still ahead the other events analyzed. Only the U.S. Open singles finals had a comparable percentage of Asian viewers (6-7%). Between 1.0 and 1.9 million Asian viewers watched each game of the NBA Finals; the only other event to top one million viewers in the demo was the NCAA Tournament title game.

Overall, between 55% and 61% of the audience for the NBA Finals was from the African American, Hispanic or Asian demographic. The series averaged nearly 10.2 million viewers across the three demographics, compared to an average of 12.1 million for the other six events combined.

Other than the NBA Finals, the event with the largest minority audience was the NCAA Tournament Final Four, which averaged 4.2 million viewers across the three demographics. The Final Four had a healthy percentage of African American viewers (14-15%), but lagged behind among Hispanic (4-5%) and Asian (4%) viewers. The Bowl Championship Series also had solid African American representation (8-12%), but less impressive numbers among Hispanics (2-6%) and Asians (2-3%).

Of note, the Louisville/Michigan NCAA title game attracted more viewers in the African American, Hispanic and Asian demographics than the Alabama/Notre Dame BCS title game — even though the BCS game had nearly three million more viewers overall.

In an encouraging result for tennis, the U.S. Open singles finals had a strong percentage of African American viewers. For the women’s final, which featured Serena Williams, African Americans made up 28% of the audience. The demo made up 13% of the audience for the Rafael Nadal/Novak Djokovic men’s final, also a good percentage. The Hispanic and Asian demographics each made up just 6-7% of the audience, but that at least compares favorably to the Final Four and BCS.

The World Series was one of only two events in which the Hispanic demographic made up a larger percentage of the audience than African Americans, but the numbers were not exactly large — between 8% and 10%. African Americans made up just 6-7% of the audience for each World Series game, and Asians just 3%. Overall, the three demos made up just 16-20% of the audience for each game.

The Stanley Cup Final was an especially weak performer among minority viewers. African Americans made up between 1% and 5% of the audience for each game, Hispanics made up between 2% and 6%, and Asian viewers made up between 3% and 4%. Overall, the demographics made up just 6-13% of the audience for each game, making the Stanley Cup Final easily the least diverse sporting event examined.

Demo Reel, Part 3: Except For NBA, Not Much Diversity in Sports TV Audience — Sports Media Watch

Oville

Pro
Daps