FML! We Can't Have Sh!t! The New York Jets 2023 Season Thread!

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
GBlC3ljXMAAu5FE

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
Joe Douglas, everybody
I'm not the biggest Joe fan, but I need to see where the hate for him comes from. From what I can remember (I mean I'm :old: n shyt, so I may be misremembering..) he's tried to address the Oline repeatedly and he's had a coupld of bad signings, and also some bad luck too.

In 2020 he brought in:

Free Agency:
- George Fant, who was ready to start for Seattle, but they couldn't guarantee him a starting gig, so he signed with us. He was solid as far as I can remember. 3 yrs 30 mil)
- Connor McGovern who was above average and provided flexibility with him being able to play 4 OL positions. (3 yrs 27 mil)
- Greg Van Roten who was supposed to be a hell of a lot better than he was. Swing and a miss here. (3 yrs 10.5 mil)

Draft:
- Mekhi Becton who started off great, and is quickly becoming a bust.

2021:

Free Agency:
- Pat Elfein .. no idea wtf happened with him. Bad signing from the jump.
- Morgan Moses started off solid and then his age caught up with him. Similar to what we're going through with Duane Brown right now.

Draft:
- Alijah Vera-Tucker's been our best OLineman for the past 3 seasons.. but just like Becton, he cant seem to stay on the field.

2022:

Free Agency:
- Laken Tomlinson was one of the jewels of this FA class and he brought him in. No one thought he'd cliff dive the way he has. He literally hasn't been good for a single snap since being a Jet.
- Duane Brown was only a year or 2 removed from a pro bowl. Again.. I dont think anyone thought he's slow down the way he has.

Draft:
- Waiting till the 4th round for an experimental Tackle was a dumbass move (Max Mitchell) .. so that's on him.

2023:

Free Agency:
- The fact that he only brought in Billy Turner is the biggest fukk up in itself.

Draft:
- Joe Tippman's showed flashes of being good.. so the jury's still out on him.
- Never saw it with our 4th rounder Carter Warren.

I mean.. that's just the OLine transactions. If you take his whole job into account.. I don't think he's done terrible. If Becton and AVT never get hurt.. this is all moot.

But I get the frustration tho. :francis:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I'm not the biggest Joe fan, but I need to see where the hate for him comes from. From what I can remember (I mean I'm :old: n shyt, so I may be misremembering..) he's tried to address the Oline repeatedly and he's had a coupld of bad signings, and also some bad luck too.

In 2020 he brought in:

Free Agency:
- George Fant, who was ready to start for Seattle, but they couldn't guarantee him a starting gig, so he signed with us. He was solid as far as I can remember. 3 yrs 30 mil)
- Connor McGovern who was above average and provided flexibility with him being able to play 4 OL positions. (3 yrs 27 mil)
- Greg Van Roten who was supposed to be a hell of a lot better than he was. Swing and a miss here. (3 yrs 10.5 mil)

Draft:
- Mekhi Becton who started off great, and is quickly becoming a bust.

2021:

Free Agency:
- Pat Elfein .. no idea wtf happened with him. Bad signing from the jump.
- Morgan Moses started off solid and then his age caught up with him. Similar to what we're going through with Duane Brown right now.

Draft:
- Alijah Vera-Tucker's been our best OLineman for the past 3 seasons.. but just like Becton, he cant seem to stay on the field.

2022:

Free Agency:
- Laken Tomlinson was one of the jewels of this FA class and he brought him in. No one thought he'd cliff dive the way he has. He literally hasn't been good for a single snap since being a Jet.
- Duane Brown was only a year or 2 removed from a pro bowl. Again.. I dont think anyone thought he's slow down the way he has.

Draft:
- Waiting till the 4th round for an experimental Tackle was a dumbass move (Max Mitchell) .. so that's on him.

2023:

Free Agency:
- The fact that he only brought in Billy Turner is the biggest fukk up in itself.

Draft:
- Joe Tippman's showed flashes of being good.. so the jury's still out on him.
- Never saw it with our 4th rounder Carter Warren.

I mean.. that's just the OLine transactions. If you take his whole job into account.. I don't think he's done terrible. If Becton and AVT never get hurt.. this is all moot.

But I get the frustration tho. :francis:
The problem is twofold (I'll leave out everything else and just discuss O-Line)

1. O-Line is supposed to be his specialty. It's the same issue with Rex and his insistence on always drafting defense: If you're as good as people say you are, why do you need to invest such high draft capital on the line? The failure comes in his inability to develop depth, let alone late gems. Not to deviate already from the O-Line, but his best gem has turned out to be Huff at LB and now they won't be able to afford due in part to his failure to secure his O-Line. Which leads me to this:

2. He's not the only GM with O-Line problems. He's just the one who has the biggest inability to mask those issues. He went up against a decimated O-Line covering a QB whose brain is damn near oatmeal and it didn't matter. The Ravens can start Morgan Moses and be 10-3. The KC Chiefs can find Trey Smith in round 6. Terence Steele was a UDFA and can start on the Cowboys. Jordan Mailata was a 7th rounder and can start for the Eagles. Trent Williams was traded for a third and so many people scoffed at the thought of dealing even a 2 for him. The Niners start a UDFA at C, a 4th rounder at RG and a 5th rounder at RT. All of this has happened during Douglas' GM tenure. In the words of Chris Partlow, "you were supposed to do that."

Look, he's been unlucky. Cameron Clark messed his neck up and never took the field. Becton got hurt. AVT should be banned for life from Denver, but I'll also say this: his process doesn't make sense. Instead of building a line where every spot was up for grabs, he was so desperate for a LT he passed up Wirfs only for Wirfs to become an all-pro covering for Tom Brady. That's bad process and bad scouting. Why? He proceeds to trade up for a guard the following year out of a spot where Christian Darrisaw was, and he's done real well for the Vikings. and then to make matters worse, any player worth a damn is always a question mark for the scheme Saleh and co. run, as if they give a fukk about offense to respect their schemes. John Idzik was a horrible GM but his capology was as advertised. What about JD's abilities have put anyone at ease? The cap? No. The scouting? No. Other than calling people and getting them hyped to talk to Woody's dumb ass on draft day, what's his plus skill?

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
The problem is twofold (I'll leave out everything else and just discuss O-Line)

1. O-Line is supposed to be his specialty. It's the same issue with Rex and his insistence on always drafting defense: If you're as good as people say you are, why do you need to invest such high draft capital on the line? The failure comes in his inability to develop depth, let alone late gems. Not to deviate already from the O-Line, but his best gem has turned out to be Huff at LB and now they won't be able to afford due in part to his failure to secure his O-Line. Which leads me to this:

2. He's not the only GM with O-Line problems. He's just the one who has the biggest inability to mask those issues. He went up against a decimated O-Line covering a QB whose brain is damn near oatmeal and it didn't matter. The Ravens can start Morgan Moses and be 10-3. The KC Chiefs can find Trey Smith in round 6. Terence Steele was a UDFA and can start on the Cowboys. Jordan Mailata was a 7th rounder and can start for the Eagles. Trent Williams was traded for a third and so many people scoffed at the thought of dealing even a 2 for him. The Niners start a UDFA at C, a 4th rounder at RG and a 5th rounder at RT. All of this has happened during Douglas' GM tenure. In the words of Chris Partlow, "you were supposed to do that."

Look, he's been unlucky. Cameron Clark messed his neck up and never took the field. Becton got hurt. AVT should be banned for life from Denver, but I'll also say this: his process doesn't make sense. Instead of building a line where every spot was up for grabs, he was so desperate for a LT he passed up Wirfs only for Wirfs to become an all-pro covering for Tom Brady. That's bad process and bad scouting. Why? He proceeds to trade up for a guard the following year out of a spot where Christian Darrisaw was, and he's done real well for the Vikings. and then to make matters worse, any player worth a damn is always a question mark for the scheme Saleh and co. run, as if they give a fukk about offense to respect their schemes. John Idzik was a horrible GM but his capology was as advertised. What about JD's abilities have put anyone at ease? The cap? No. The scouting? No. Other than calling people and getting them hyped to talk to Woody's dumb ass on draft day, what's his plus skill?
I got nothing. :mjcry:

Ima just go grab a drink.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's hard not to feel bad for the New York Jets.

I think, in a different offensive environment, we would be talking about Garrett Wilson as one of the top 8-10 WRs in the game. I think his skills are that good.
And my goodness. Every time I've seen Breece Hall this season he looks like one of the best 5 RBs in football. That guy is explosive.
The Jets defense is the Jets defense. That defense was THIRD in Yards allowed per game this season even though the Jets offense was 26th in Time of Possession. A defense that good that has to be on the field for that much time deserves bonuses across the board.