FML! We Can't Have Sh!t! The New York Jets 2023 Season Thread!

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
You mean for a stacked roster like the 49ers?

What's the fatal flaw as you see it?

RE: first part - I honestly think Zach could be decent for any team with a solid OL and a coaching staff capable of actually developing a QB and calling creative plays that can accentuate his abilities (i.e. get him on the move with aggressive playmaking WRs). Hindsight is 20/20, but it turns out that Zach was a raw prospect coming out of BYU and needed to go to a place with a vet QB that was on his way out but still had enough juice to where Zach wouldn't have been expected to start immediately. He needed the time on the bench and the mental development. Whatever ceiling he has, it won't be realized for the Jets. Not with this staff in place.

RE: Second part - The fatal flaw was assuming they were just a QB away and that getting the right QB would mask all the other deficiencies they had, namely at offensive line and offensive coaching/creativity. Basically, they overestimated how ahead of the curve they actually were.

So they went and put together a team that on paper, only works if said QB is on the field. That QB went down. So now the coach brought in for Rodgers -- who wouldn't have had to coach much, if at all because Rodgers has seen and done it all -- has to actually coach a kid who needs good coaching more than others. It's not going well. They coach Zach scared in a year where they legitimately have nothing to lose, and he rarely gets to do the things that sold them on him in the first place.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
RE: Second part - The fatal flaw was assuming they were just a QB away and that getting the right QB would mask all the other deficiencies they had, namely at offensive line and offensive coaching/creativity. Basically, they overestimated how ahead of the curve they actually were.

This is the most egregious part. They sold their soul to Rodgers thinking they were a QB away from true title contention. They aren't. They're certainly not a 40 year old Rodgers away from winning.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
You do realize those two were already WAY below .500 before the "savior" / "built in excuse" known as Aaron Rodgers ever changed his address from Green Bay to East Rutherford, right?

And if the Jets are intending, in any way, to "run it back" in 2024, then I have no idea what you have to look forward to in 2024 as a Jet fan, given the already pitiful track record of the Douglas / Saleh regime. "Run It Back" should be the bloody LAST thing any Jet fan should be accepting at this point in tims.
The OC is trash, but the org forced him to play garbage Wilson before Aaron came. They had a good defense last year too, but wilson never been good

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
This is the most egregious part. They sold their soul to Rodgers thinking they were a QB away from true title contention. They aren't. They're certainly not a 40 year old Rodgers away from winning.

They might be.

Defense has held up their end of the bargain

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
What's the fatal flaw as you see it?
Their roster on offense being complete garbage seems like a pretty big flaw to me
Allen Lazard getting paid what he did was egregious. He fukking sucks, I told everyone he sucks the day he was signed. Can't separate, horrible hands, and quite possibly the slowest WR I've ever seen. Not only can he not get open, he can't make contested catches and has no YAC ability at all.
DeAndre Hopkins was available and they didn't even try. Bad move
Their TEs aren't any good. Uzomah doesn't catch and commits backbreaking penalties. Conklin is fine but he's like a second TE option he shouldn't be your main pass catcher
They literally have 2 players on their entire offense who are good. Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall and that's it. And even Breece has been struggling recently.

Just not a good offensive roster at all

And some of it does fall on the GM. Will McDonald is a fine player but they don't even use that guy. They burned a 1st rounder for DL depth when they desperately needed another WR.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
The OC is trash, but the org forced him to play garbage Wilson before Aaron came. They had a good defense last year too, but wilson never been good

Wilson has never been good, no. He's made notable strides this year -- but it must be taken into account that the bar was in hell for him.

I also can't remember the last time the Jets had consistently good QB play and/or offensive coaching prior to maybe Chad Pennington. Maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015?

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
They might be.

Defense has held up their end of the bargain

Their offensive line is trash, and it results in an inconsistent at best running game (which they're trying to lean on with Wilson at QB1). They have one perimeter playmaker in Garrett Wilson, who is an absolute beast but struggles with drops some times. Conklin is solid but he doesn't put fear in anyone.

So you have a QB whose strengths are more about improvising downfield with upper-tier arm talent that hasn't been good and is coached ultra-conservatively, to the point where defenses really just have to stop the run long enough to get pass rushing opportunities against said OL, and you have one WR you have to account for and he's not a guaranteed catch despite his talent.

The defense is championship caliber. Absolutely. But their OL and lack of dynamic personnel is probably a bigger problem than their QB play right now.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Wilson has never been good, no. He's made notable strides this year -- but it must be taken into account that the bar was in hell for him.

I also can't remember the last time the Jets had consistently good QB play and/or offensive coaching prior to maybe Chad Pennington. Maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015?
Jets haven't had a great offense since Vinny and Parcells were here in 98. The Fitzpatrick year when he chucked it up to Decker and Marshall was a bright spot. Some of the Sanchez years weren't absolutely horrible surprisingly.

Green Ranger

I Am Legend
Daps
Reppin
Angel Grove California
Its rinse & repeat hire a defensive coach who no dogshyt about offense & cobble together an offense

Has Will McDonald name been called all season our first-round pick & i get it someone traded up & took the picked they wanted well you know what if you are going all in with a 40-year-old Rodgers you say fukk it & pay the extra to move up to get the pick you want. That pick is for the future but it doesn't help this team in the present right now. Same with our fifth round running back when hey you couldn't find an O-lineman to pick for depth purpose

With how the Jets bring in nothing but defensive coaches you would think this team has some illustrious dominate defensive history with just countless HOFers

Make no bigtime moves to help the O-line you had big name free agents i didn't hear Douglas meeting with any of them

Made no move after Corey Davis retired

You see how much the offense needs another WR & you're going to have to pay extra like it or not to get someone nope

Douglas is living of the defense & Hall, Wilson but he can't build an O-line or a legit offense yet all the media want to do is blame Zach

Look at Breece numbers since the Denver game because the O-line been so trash

Green Ranger

I Am Legend
Daps
Reppin
Angel Grove California

Jets hold players-only meeting Tuesday​

The Jets have a league-low eight offensive touchdowns in nine games this season. They have none the past two games, both losses.

The Jets called a players-only meeting Tuesday, the team's off day, to talk about it.

"The guys talked, and we had the floor," wide receiver Garrett Wilson said during his weekly appearance on ESPN New York radio, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. "It was just us. We got to make sure we're all on the same page about where we're at and how the hell we get out of this funk, man. That was really the message. When it comes from one of your teammates, it always hits different. It always resonates a little bit more."

Jets coach Robert Saleh acknowledged Monday that changes were needed, but those changes won't include replacing quarterback Zach Wilson or offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. Wilson's 74.6 passer rating ranks 30th in the NFL as he has thrown five touchdowns and six interceptions.

The only change so far is the release of running back Michael Carter.

Garrett Wilson said the players are "truly sorry about the product we've put on the field offensively this season to this point."

Starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers continues to talk about coming back this season, but if the Jets are out of it, what's the point?

The players thus are hoping the team meeting can pull them out of their funk and back into the race.

"We don't want to finish the season and look back like we should've done this earlier . . . so let's talk about it now," Garrett Wilson said. "Hopefully, it leads to results, but the reality of us doing that and doing the right thing as far as calling a players-only meeting and talking, it doesn't guarantee anything. We still have to go out and do it, but we're taking the right steps and we're turning over every stone because it matters to us."