Floyd Mayweather vs Arturo Gatti (Pay Per View Debut)

premier58

All Star
Daps
During that whole lead up Floyd kept calling him nothing more than a club fighter lol. No one was worried about Floyd’s health for this fight.
Exactly. He was berating him to an extreme level of disrespect/disregard. It was actually uncomfortable to watch at times. It was not promotion, either. You can tell PBF meant every word of that shyt. It was absolutely nothing comedic about it, at all. I showed a girl that video and she was exasperated at how brutally curt Mayweather was to Gatti.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
Best boxer ive ever seen :yeshrug:
main-qimg-3690295819741d1a4ca1ea21b501d740

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Noticeable difference in hand speed and movement Gatti was a C level fighter...

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Exactly. He was berating him to an extreme level of disrespect/disregard. It was actually uncomfortable to watch at times. It was not promotion, either. You can tell PBF meant every word of that shyt. It was absolutely nothing comedic about it, at all. I showed a girl that video and she was exasperated at how brutally curt Mayweather was to Gatti.

I remember one writer describing it as a person dissecting and picking the wings off a butterfly. It was just brutal. The 6th round was one of those 10-8 rounds with no KDs, and you could argue that the 4th was also 10-8.

It was both beautiful and sad to watch. I think I may prefer Ndou fight the most to rewatch of Floyd’s virtuouso performance.

During that whole lead up Floyd kept calling him nothing more than a club fighter lol. No one was worried about Floyd’s health for this fight.

Oh I knew Gatti had no chance. I watched pretty much every HBO boxing show then, but since this was PPV, I went to the movies and just caught the replay.

I remember them trying to hype the fight with the preview show, and that a$$hole Ron Borges with his dramatic “what is Floyd going to do when he hits Gatti and realize Gatti isn’t going to go anywhere?”. Uh, I think he’ll just hit Gatti again lol

A few months before, there was Hopkins-DLH. DLH also had little chance, but that was a lot due to size. At least the cross-dresser kitchen utensil freak was a terrific fighter in his own right. Gatti was a good, limited fighter with no defense going up against an ATG in his prime, the #1 p4p fighter at the time (IMO).

Hopkins would say before the fight that Oscar was a dead man walking, and that’s how I felt about Gatti going in.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Yet another pick where I'm going with my heart instead of my head. I've only picked against Floyd once in his entire career – the Corrales fight. I couldn't have been more wrong in that one, and am bracing for a similar letdown here. So, with no logic to support my pick, I'm just gunning for an upset based on a gut feeling. Arturo will be way behind on two cards, yet surprisingly close on a third, when he rallies late in the eleventh to batter him along the ropes. Floyd will not drop, but his head will snap back juuuuuuust enough for the referee to stop the contest – and set off a frenzy from the Mayweather camp. Floyd will immediately recover, and protest to no end that he was the victim of a premature stoppage. He'll be right – but will also be without his undefeated record at the end of the day. Gatti TKO11.
Jake Donovan

:russ:

Damn Jake :snoop:

He was usually really good with his takes too. Before he was with boxingscene, he would always post on the fightbeat forums and give us a lot of good info. He was fairly critical of Team Gatti too and some of the behind the scenes stuff they did.

Rough night for Jake, as he and his family were close friends with Vivian Harris. Harris was on the undercard and it was supposed to be his showcase for exposure and a possible unification bout with Floyd. Harris lost to Carlos Maussa, who had one of the most ugly and awkward styles you’ll ever see.

People teased Jake for awhile on the forums after that one.

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
This was Floyd at the peak of his powers.

140 was the perfect weight for Floyd, it’s too bad Bob Arum was pretty intent on sabotaging his career and he had to move up quickly to chase the big names instead of being able to establish a period of dominance at the weight.

Imagine destroying Kostya Tszyu, Cotto, Ricky Hatton at 140 and moving up to beat Mosley and then Judah for the lineal title. :wow:
I’ve always argued that 147 fighters was too big for Floyd, but he had the heart of a lion and skills that could make up his weight difference . Even fought a full hydrated De La Hoya and Cotto at 154, not a drained 147.

premier58

All Star
Daps
One of my favorite Jim Lampley quotes from the Mayweather/Mosley showdown. I cant remember the exact round, but Mosley was 3 of 45 in punches landed in the round. Lampley says, "Throught Mosley's career, I highly doubt you can find a round as desultory as that."