Florida Students Must Learn How Slavery "Benefitted" Enslaved Americans..

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
As a history teacher in the south, first of all I say find a way to enforce it. I teach mostly black students who want to hear the truth. And their phones are put up so no recording. They learn about the importance of Black economics and black politics. They are blowed to find out the Black Panther party started here. Power to the people!

But anyway, just say I meet them where they are talking.
Yes, black people in the south learned more valuable trades than regular white people because they usually performed the specialized trades for the white owners. If I am a plantation owner, do I want to hire out a white man seeking a fair wage, or my enslaved person who will not only do my work for free, but bring in income as I let him for others for a profit?

After slavery ended, we saw the stereotype of black people being lazy.
That was a racist strategy to provide unskilled white workers (who were vastly unskilled and illiterate because mass public education in the south wasn’t a thing until blacks and the freedman’s bureau. After we showed it’s utility they started making schools for white kids in masse )
But those talented black people were usually the ones targeted by the white pogroms of the early twentieth century. Their businesses and platforms were systematically destroyed, and they were forced to relocate, usually by force.
This opens up a lot of shady history shyt done by white supremacists. I teach that Birmingham and a lot of the early capital generated by this state was done by convict laborers, which was a neo form of slavery. I teach that the rail line in southeast Florida, built by harry Flagler, which spurred the boom off growth in south Florida and Miami was built by us.
It’s not critical race theory, it’s just the history of the state. Get mad at your ancestors and not me.

yep the watermelon stereotype and the chicken stereotype are born out of this period. We were successful Watermelon and Chicken farmers and cacs didn't like it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Story gets worse, seriously

Cliff Notes. To damage control/spin the backlash against the new Black History guidelines, the Board had two of the Black members who worked on it issue a statement defending the "benefited from skills acquired during enslavement" line . They did, and it backfired.
Full statement and reaction below.

SWXFe.jpg

===========================================================
THE RESPONSE

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

Cliff Notes. To damage control/spin the backlash against the new Black History guidelines, the Board had two of the Black members who worked on it issue a statement defending the "benefited from skills acquired during enslavement" line . They did, and it backfired.

SWXFe.jpg

THE RESPONSE

:what: muthafukka what?!

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
We may need a seperate thread about all of this shyt from the right largely being aimed at blacks in particular. Why?

This is what desantis has been doing noticing how florida is like mostly white right wing he's playing to his base hands down this is all this is. :beli: if black folks literally made up half of florida he wouldnt dare do this shyt without reprecussions towards him for this bullshyt.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
If I were an even slightly informed young white person id be furious at all of this bullshyt going on.

There’re basically taunting them at this point.

Young white kids are assumed to be too gotdamn stupid to make informed decisions on a whole misunderstood segment of society so we’re gonna fukk with you

if we arm you with historically accurate info about how black folks were treated you’re gonna fukk up the establishment because you’d understand why black folks are how they are towards you and it would cause us all to attempt real dialogue

So let’s scramble the signals while we can.

KBtheKey

Top Tier
Daps
Reppin
#Swhtx
Lol stupid as fukk especially considering kids are pretty much on the internet 24/7

Benefit from being forced to do the same shyt your people have done for thousands of years while receiving zero pay and having no freedom, brehs:stopitslime:

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man

SWXFe.jpg

THE RESPONSE

:mjlol: :mjlol: They can't even make a list without stretching and twisting facts! This just goes to show how little educational value that part of the curriculum has. It's just a rehashed Lost Cause talking point.

Remember, Desantis threw out AP Af-Am history because it mentioned black lgbt history and the BLM protests as they "lacked educational value", but this is perfectly fine.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
We will cover violence against and by African Americans in (race riots, and massacres)".

I see the part I missed "and by African Americans".

I am betting this is a segue into talking about the "evils" done either in slave revolts and/or by Black federal troops during Reconstruction.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Town hall to discuss Florida’s new Black history standards coming to Miami Gardens​

July 26, 2023

Pastor Arthur Jackson was hesitant.
The thought of hosting a town hall that could possibly turn into a platform to peddle the same problematic rhetoric about African American history was very concerning. Florida Education Commissioner Manny Diaz will potentially be in attendance, something that might upset his congregation. Then the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church pastor realized the opportunity before him.
“There are some who don’t want him there,” Jackson said, “but you can’t fix what you can’t face.”

Florida State Senator Shevrin Jones (SD-34), Senator Rosalind Osgood (SD-32), and Miami-Dade School Board Vice Chair Dr. Steve Gallon III (District 1) intend to co-host a forum at 7 p.m. on Aug. 10 that will allow community members to voice their concerns about the changes to lessons about Black history. The town hall will be held at Antioch Baptist Church, one of the largest churches in Miami Gardens, Florida’s largest primarily Black city.

“My hope is that the commissioner will come with an open mind and open ears to actually hear the concerns of the people,” said Jones, a former educator who now serves as vice chair for the Florida Senate Appropriations Committee on Education. “Ultimately, they want the commissioner to go back to the drawing board to this work group and tell them to go rework these standards so that the wording in this is not offensive to Black people.”

The key to this town hall, according to Jackson, is to “control the mic,” assuring that the “structure of the forum won’t be the commissioner espousing a particular rhetoric.” Osgood agreed.
“Our collective history is American History, and although our lived experiences are different, it is important that we value each other’s history,” Osgood said in a statement. A former member of the Broward County School Board, Osgood sits on the Florida Senate Education Pre K-12 Committee. “This moment is an opportunity for community members to ask questions and express their thoughts regarding these standards changes.”

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
One of the local s. florida tv news stations did a story the the author of the study or book.
Str8 up Black Republican C 00 n status.
Vid in link below.

Black curriculum co-author defends slavery wording in new Florida guidelines​

1690325895420_416x234_thumbnail.jpg

MIAMI – Florida’s recent curriculum changes are stirring up a lot of outrage as they relate to the guidelines on teaching about slavery.

Local 10 News’ Glenna Milberg spoke with one of the Black authors of the new curriculum.

“I say leave nothing out within the realm of human capacities,” said William Allen, a political scientist and author of “The Imaginative Conservative.”

Leaving nothing out is including a full detailed story of the African-American experience in Florida’s curriculum, says Allen.

The former Chair of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights under President Ronald Regan and President George H. W. Bush volunteered to be part of the workgroup of 13 who wrote the curriculum for the state Department of Education.

“We need to tell the people’s stories the way they told their stories, not to fit our expectations,” said Allen.

The national outrage exploded mostly over a benchmark included in a lesson about the kinds of labor enslaved people were forced into, and that “slaves developed skills from which they could personally benefit,” which a state education director found himself explaining to teachers in Miami-Dade County this week.

Allen insists the history of enslaved people as an American atrocity is also one comprised of varied and complex accounts.

“The stories of the people who lived through the history, they have a right to tell the story in their own words, and what we have provided for is the telling of those stories as they themselves told it,” Allen said.

He was also asked why Florida’s anti-communism education might not also teach how Fidel Castro provided Cubans free education and medical care.

“I can only answer to that which I contributed,” Allen said.